BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I got an email from Barrier Motors in Bellevue saying that the Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond police departments were going to start enforcing the front license plate requirement - $124 ticket if you don't have one.

Anyone have an news about being busted for this? It seems that most M5s don't have'em from what I have seen. I'm not sure if I should put one on or wait to see if this blows over like the "cigarettes out the window" and "talking on a cell phone" did.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just checked with a Redmond LEO - nothing official, but if they "feel" like it they will stop based on the missing plate...but you likely have to draw the attention first :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Barrier wants to sell some license plate mounting kits? It's known that a missing front plate is an incentive to pull someone over, but if you obey other traffic laws and have a fairly clean driving record, chances are you'll walk away with a warning.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got a no front license plate ticket back in 1999-2000 down in Renton when I was into street racing. They'd block all of us in, and look for ticky tack things to hand out a ticket. Fast forward 10 years, and I've matured a bit. I drove 2.5 years in my e39 M5 without a front plate in WA and never had any issues. If a prick cop is looking for something to give you a ticket for, sure, a missing front plate will do it. I tend to think most cops are reasonable, and while they are there to enforce the laws, however ticky tacky, they'd really prefer to actually focus on safety issues.

I'm in Florida right now, and front plates aren't required. Much more fitting with all the nice cars they have down here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have been seeing more of my friends post on facebook about no front plate tickets too. I have never run a front plate on my BMWs and haven't received any hassle for it even when I did get stopped for alledgedly speeding. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've gone back and forth on it. Way back in the 80s I ran my RX-7 with no front plate for a long time. Got pulled over in Lake Oswego OR and was written up for $120 (then!) for failure to display front plate. Couldn't believe it was so expensive, even then. But it was Lake Oswego. Then drove to Springfield, OR the next day, where a motor cop pulled me over. He walked up, said "sir, do you know why I pulled you over?" I just handed him the Lake Oswego ticket. He looked at it, smiled, and let me off with a warning.

One line I have used in the past is "You know, that license plate bracket is on back order in Munich and I don't know when it's going to show up."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts