BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Please read this thread first then...here's some simple yet effective pointers.

The moderators here take moderating very seriously and we do try to limit our moderation to the bare minimum. However, members are also guests here who should try to stick to the (sometimes unspoken) houserules...

We can't jump into every thread and post our expectations, members need to understand that mindset. Also, there certainly is no hard-and-fast rule about what is appropriate to post. But sometimes it's easier to try to drag the thread back on-topic by deleting a few one-liner posts that don't really contribute to the discussion.

There are lots of other car messageboards where most discussions are limited to one-liner comments and lots of 'LOL' responses. We're not going to ever let that happen here. Posts containing nothing more than 'LOL' 'haha', etc don't really contribute anything to the discussion. Also we'd rather not see wildly off-topic one-liner posts in each and every thread. That very much limits the opportunity for meaningful, in-depth discussion which we try to stimulate here.

What we're trying to achieve on this messageboard is that members take the time to think about their responses. We'd rather see a 10 paragraph, highly detailed and well-argumented post about the merits of the CLS63 than 100 one-liner posts. That 10 paragraph post can be of interest to enthusiasts 10 years from now. The one-liners typically lose their merit immediately upon posting.

Don't start a thread about subjects that have been asked many times before. You won't get good quality responses. If you can't take the small amount of time to conduct a basic search why should someone else take the time to respond to your question? Use the search feature to find out if your question has been discussed before: The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com) - Search Forums or http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/188431-timmay77s-how-search-tutorial.html

Many of the recurring questions have been compiled in one easy-to-find 'Frequently Asked Questions' thread at the top of the forum. If you think a particular thread is interesting and informative enough to add to this thread please let me know.

Don't ask subjective questions (such as "what color should I get?")...and expect an objective answer. You will only get subjective answers.

Don't use irritating or non-descriptive thread titles...examples of such thread titles are:
ALL CAPS - using capital letters is like shouting on internet. Don't.
Using excessive punctation!!!!!!????!!!! - your question very likely isn't the meaning of life so try to keep it down to a basic descriptive thread title
****LOOK AT ME STARS**** - if your thread is interesting enough people will spend time and effort on it. If it's not an interesting thread chances are you won't make it any more interesting by using lots of stars.
the simple yet utterly useless "HELP!!" - unless you're at the verge of being ripped up by a roaming circus tiger or drowning in a tidal wave chances are you can actually do better than this. If you can't put more effort into a thread title how much effort do you reckon others are going to put into reading the thread?

If it's your idea of fun to play 'poke the moderator' or stir up trouble on the messageboard then please realize you will banned. We're trying to encourage a friendy, constructive atmosphere and being an insolent know-it-all isn't very constructive. If you really do know better than the moderators here - feel free to start your own automotive forum and see how it is to deal with the many Monday morning quarterbacks...

Aside from all these pointers, it's also important to point out that you are very welcome here on M5board!

Update May 2011: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/187751-private-messaging-pm-threshold.html

·
Registered
985 Posts
I saw this thread just now, and I frequent this forum regularly.

Many don't see stickies (has only 215 views as of now), perhaps let this thread drift for a day or two on this forum for more exposure? :)

Or you should use more punctuations for this thread title.... :D (just joking :))

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
erikmoeser said:
Yeah, no shouting please!
I take you mean

large font size and bold style like THIS???!!!???

;)
Dave

·
Registered
696 Posts
wilsodh said:
I take you mean

large font size and bold style like THIS???!!!???

;)
Dave
No...if that would be the case I have a fealing UFH would leave the board and search for some other place where he can get his daily dose of attention :)

Dont take it the wrong way UFH, I really love most of your comments, sometimes ironical and always cryptical...

Nice sticky btw, for the frequent (and therefore wise and master of the known universe) visitor/member many of the above mentioned example REAAAALLY get on your nerv and most of the answers to a question like that will be with an irritated tone leading to a confused new member who might think this board is full of jerks which is not the case.

Love

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd like to add a "man law" (US TV commercial for beer creating funny (but good) "man laws") or rule:

Do NOT create a post detailing something descriptive, and not include pictures, expecially after stating you have them or will post them. This is a TEASE and will be flamed!

·
Registered
249 Posts
True, bugzy did post pics finally. And they were proffessional pics, both his car and the pics were of very high quality, very nice. But it took a long time to get posted, and the whole point here is that bugzy could have either

a) took some quicky pics with any camera on hand and posted them initially

b) waited untill he had the pics he wanted to include in his post and posted at that time.

Am I alone here in this thought process? The only exception to this general man/post law is injuries, we don't need pics of that, IMHO. (I hate to see them, but I guess car injuries are ok)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
True, bugzy did post pics finally. And they were proffessional pics, both his car and the pics were of very high quality, very nice. But it took a long time to get posted, and the whole point here is that bugzy could have either

a) took some quicky pics with any camera on hand and posted them initially

b) waited untill he had the pics he wanted to include in his post and posted at that time.

Am I alone here in this thought process? The only exception to this general man/post law is injuries, we don't need pics of that, IMHO. (I hate to see them, but I guess car injuries are ok)
i too agree ;)

my bad ... but you know, sometimes ... sometimes, you just jump the gun because your just excited ...

cars make us all act like we are all 18 again ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Newbie Q:
I have just come from Tyresmoke.net which has similar forum code but behaves differently:
Posts to existing threads 'bump' them to the top (below 'stickies')
Only posts since last member visit are bold, so it is easy to see which are new since last time.
Is there a user setting to achieve this with m5board, or is it a moderator decision?
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
721 Posts
Is there a number of posts that you have to have before you can post an image in a thread instead of attaching it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
How to violate all the rules in one post:
***OH HAI 2 U LOL HELP MY CAR IS MAEKING TEH FUNNAY NOISAS ON ACCEL WTF LOL!!!!!?!?!!!??***

Since I've joined, I personally haven't seen too terribly many posts that have been worthy of even a warning, nevermind the ban stick.

In fact, I was rather relieved to see such a mature and intelligent bunch on a car forum of all things. You may initially frown upon reading that, but hang out on a Japanese import forum for a week and then spend some time here, and you'll see the difference is truly night and day.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I have a question: What can be done about chronic jerks? You know the guy who is always puttiing others down, and even when you go to read a different thread there he is being a smarta** and not in a nice friendly way but in a way that is just plain disrespectful!
Good question.

It happens a few ways:

Peer pressure- model 'good behavior'; take the high road; if you must call them out, do so with class. It is also helpful when more than one person takes up the 'call'. If multiple people say "dude, this is just childish and unacceptable" you are telling not just that one person, but others what we accept here as a norm.

I for one am very proud of the community and how we've keep the discourse at a pretty high level.

When all else fails, report the post. The triangle with an ! is a report post. Give an explanation. This is not an 'automatic delete' but a mod will review it.

I believe that in general a broader cross section of people appreciate a civil, mature board in which all members feel they can participate without being attacked, ridiculed, disrespected- or just having to read unpunctuated slang.

A

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Pretty funny, I like that! What board is that?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Sounds like it's my way or the highway .. If we don't like it we'll delete it or if we don't agree with it we'll delete it.. Hell sounds like censorship to me. You should also have absolutely NO humor allowed either cause you might piss somebody off too..Why even have a forum if you want everybody to use the search feature ?? Does that piss off the elite bunch too ??? So now that I voiced my opinion I'm sure I'll get scolded again or banned again for posting something that pisses off a handful of people. Oh and welcome to the M5 board ..

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I appreciate the humour in the search icon posted, however it annoys me when in response to a question, all that is sometimes posted is "search is your friend" or similar. Most of us know how to search quickly and easily, so along with posting a relevant response +/- link to the OP, a gentler reminder may be all that is required.
If there is nothing constructive to add to a thread, read it or not, then move along. "Search is your friend" is not constructive when posted alone.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts