BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing the SAP from the beast tonight and was wondering if there is any harm to just plugging the vacuum lines themselves? Keep in mind, this is for a race car that will have no cats and will be running a tune to delete it anyways.

Just wanted to make sure before I pull the manifold and such finding all of the lines.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Just plug the vaccum lines.
I did cut the aluminium tube that goes in the cylinder head on the bracket and welded it shut as well.....

Works fine!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The ESS S/C kit removes the air pump and plugs the line as well.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Has anyone been able to come up with a way to fool the car that the SAP is still functioning even with it removed? Like a resistor or something? I would really love to get rid of mine.. but I need to be able to pass inspection.

If I had the expertise I would give it a shot but I wouldn't know where to start.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Doesn't the power chip and evolve dme tunes have the option to turn it off?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes, at least Evolve has the option for sure. That is a wifeproof reason for getting AlphaN and other goodies. hiha
It will still cause a 'not ready' when getting an inspection. All they do is turn off the fault code and SES.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It will still cause a 'not ready' when getting an inspection. All they do is turn off the fault code and SES.
This may not matter in Europe.

Reactions: eye4aneyem5

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
In Europe,the readyness monitors are not checked for emissions.
On pre-OBD2 cars the error memory of the ECU is not read,on OBD2 cars it is...

In the USA they are checked.
Evolve is up to something that will fix the not ready message.

Anyway,in the US,I thought that you are allowed 1 or 2 not ready messages depending on the state emissions are done...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
In Europe,the readyness monitors are not checked for emissions.
On pre-OBD2 cars the error memory of the ECU is not read,on OBD2 cars it is...

In the USA they are checked.
Evolve is up to something that will fix the not ready message.

Anyway,in the US,I thought that you are allowed 1 or 2 not ready messages depending on the state emissions are done...
Correct, we get 1 or 2 not ready messages depending on which state you live in.

I'm interested in the fix Evolve is up to! Does it involve a SAP delete and fooling the DME into thinking the pump is still there? If so, I have some insightful documents I sent to Doug today that may help if you guys don't already have them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Okay folks, ran into this today when doing some research for my newly found secondary air code:

Secondary Air Pump & Valve - E46Fanatics

In short, people seem to be using something called "Seafoam" to clean the air system on other BMW:s... I think that would be some sort of brake cleaner or comparable stuff?

Has anyone tried that here? Pouring a solvent into an air duct is not something I would be keen to do but according to the link and some similar ones I found, that seems to be a preferred solution. Since that stuff is bound to exit the system on top of the exhust valves, some is likely to end up in the combustion chamber and even oilpan - hmm, brake cleaner and bearings are a really bad combination... However, just prior to an oil change this might not be a bad idea? There seem to be many positive results and so far haven't stumbled on any negatives.

Okay, I'm ready to be lynched :byebye:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
The seafoam is useless to get rid of clogged secondary air passages.

There are only 2 solutions:

Either pull the cylinder heads and drill them free again or software.

Everything else is really only a waste of time and money.

Wurger,I have a few cylinder heads in the garage that are clogged,I show you when we meet again how this looks like.
The carbon build up is hard as stone!!!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have posted last fall regarding the ESS flash service for the ECU that I used.
I had to send the ECU to them, got it back in 2 days, passed the emissions test, and SES light never came back since.
It has been over six months...

So I don't think I need the secondary air pump.
Now that I upgraded my fog lights to modified projectors (H1 mini with 50W ballasts), I ran into a headache.
The driver's side fits with no problem, and is putting out more light than my upgraded HID headlights (I plan to upgrade them next month to a Quad-Xenon 50W system with dual high beams. I just like to see better at night for safety reasons... :lightbulb:.
The passenger's side has that SAP that gets in the way of the modded fog projectors, since it is ~2 inches longer towards back than the stock unit.
I now REALLY want to remove the SAP.

Please advise what lines need to be addressed once the pump is removed.
Thank you in advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts