BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really looking to discuss alignments, that horse has been beat to death. Just curious as to what people are actually running and how their tires are holding up. We could sit and argue all day about it, but the proof is in the pudding.....

If you would like to discuss, please do so here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/212181-rear-camber-kit.html

or here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...-string-theory-home-alignment-measurment.html

or any of the other 1 million alignment discussion threads......

Me:

Front:
Camber = .5 both sides
Toe = 0

Rear:
Camber = .5 both sides
Toe = 0

Haven't really put enough miles on it to figure out how my tires are wearing. It drives straight and true though.....

Reactions: Minty

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
It drives straight and true though.....
Thats what she said last night... hiha hiha hiha

Ill post mine when I git'r done.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I'll play.

Front:
Camber = -1.6 left, -1.7 right (GC camber plates)
Toe (in) = 0.02
Caster = 6.4 both sides

Rear:
Camber = -2.0 both sides
Toe (in) = 0.01

Michelin PSS @ 38 PSI cold. Roughly 9K miles, rotated about 2500 miles ago. Even wear, will be interesting to see how they look after the CA --> OH --> CA trip. Tracks true, and turn in is superb...

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
36F and 38R psi 255/35/18F and 285/35/18R

Car is very responsive and the turn in feels like the one of M3

It was done with half tan of fuel, plus me in the driver seat. George did it for me.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Front

Camber = stock
Toe = < 1mm toe in

Rear

Camber = .5 degrees (the minimum that I could get)
Toe = < 1mm toe in

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
mine was scrubbing the outside edges of the front tires so i got the gc camber kit.

iirc specs i set were,

front

camber -1.50
toe 0.02

rear

camber -1.30
toe 0.02

i have a 50mi highway trip to work so i've put so mi's on since then and so far the tires look like they're wearing pretty even.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Tim. If people could also include if their car is lowered and/or running larger wheels might help complete the picture of why people are running the alignment numbers that they are.

So I'm not just clogging the thread, here's my pretty much useless contribution as it's a work in progress:

Front: OEM specs

Rear: Toe unknown/ OEM spec

Camber: -1.2

I'm running stock wheels at stock ride height, OEM style bushings in good condition. I've achieved about 15k from a rear set of N700 tires that were on the car when I bought it, 18k miles from a rear set of Dunlop DZ101's, 15-16k from Goodyear Eagle F1's (down to the cords on the inside edge in the rear). The alignment was done twice during this time, and unfortunately they made it worse the last go around, hence only getting 15k on the most recent set of rears. The fronts generally last twice as long as the rears in my experience. I plan to use the above referenced threads to make my own adjustments this time.

Reactions: RayIam

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Front:
Camber -2.8
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.0
Toe 0.1 each side, total toe is 0.2

Miles driven: 15k miles.

Experience:
Handles incredibly well with much more noticeably increased turn-in response due to the zero toe up front and camber. Front shows significant camber wear on the very inner edge but the rest of the tire is perfect. Not recommended for asymmetrical tires.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My car is all stock with Koni shocks. I think my alignment is ok. The tires is wearing evenly and looks like it will last long time. I already did 11k miles since the purchase of the car. The rear tires still look like new I think its around 7/32 right now. I try not to spin too much.

My steering wheel is still slightly crooked to the left.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ground Control Coilovers with front Camber Plates.

In October 2011 - I left the shop with

Front
Camber -1.8 -2.0 previously -0.7, -0.8
Caster 6.6 6.4
Toe 0.09 0.1
Cross Camber 0.2
Cross Caster 0.2
Total Toe 0.19

Rear
Camber -2.4 -2.3
Toe 0.07 0.14

Then a couple track days (Mosport, Watkins Glen), and a blue ridge valley parkway + tail of the dragon + cherohala skyway and...

Turns out the -2.0 degrees up front for a car that spends most of the time running straight ends up wearing the inside of the tire quite quickly.
October 2012 -
Measured at the tire shop -2.4 camber on the front just before replacing it.
The rears were just about done as well on the inside - so no big deal.
The important thing is the tires stayed together when running the dragon.
I had just finished a pass when I heard things weren't quite right under the car.
Good thing I checked and was able to get to the tire shop for new boots before I ended up becoming part of the landscape on some high speed sweeper on the Cherohala skyway.

I got 48.6k km's out of Bridgestone RE-11's - that is with a few track days - so I can't really complain too much.
But the -2 degrees really accelerated the wear up front.

Question is - did the increase in camber really diminish the understeer? I don't know if it really did that much to make the car neutral.
At 4000lbs - it ain't no race car.

So...

Went down to something more reasonable for a daily driver - front camber between -1.5 to -1.8 degrees.
Tire wear seems pretty even now.

I can pull out the new alignment specs and post them as I left the tire shop - just have to dig them up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Front:
Camber: -0.6
Caster: 6.3
Toe: 0

Rear:
Camber: -1.8
Toe: 1/32" (3/32" total toe)
Thrust angle: 0

Feels great, tire wear is fine. Nothing abnormal.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'll play.

Front:
Camber = -1.6 left, -1.7 right (GC camber plates)
Toe (in) = 0.02
Caster = 6.4 both sides

Rear:
Camber = -2.0 both sides
Toe (in) = 0.01

Michelin PSS @ 38 PSI cold. Roughly 9K miles, rotated about 2500 miles ago. Even wear, will be interesting to see how they look after the CA --> OH --> CA trip. Tracks true, and turn in is superb...
Very interested on how your tires look post Ohio trip. I'm headed into the aligment shop on Monday I remember an old timer aligment tech told me that anytime you increase negative camber, you should also increase negative toe. Your results seem to back this up.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Broke out my tire depth gauge today. An even 4/32 across all four tires, inside and out. No abnormal wear on the inner edges, either.

I'll be keeping this alignment for the next set of tires... although I might go 285s all around - because wider tires provide better traction ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Broke out my tire depth gauge today. An even 4/32 across all four tires, inside and out. No abnormal wear on the inner edges, either.

I'll be keeping this alignment for the next set of tires... although I might go 285s all around - because wider tires provide better traction ;)
Thanks, I'm glad I ended up rescheduling my aligment for tomorrow. I put the plates in and dialed them to -1.0. Took a drive to test out some other changes I made to the car, forgetting about the plates until I made a few quick turns. Absolutely blown away by the turn in response, this simple change has completely transformed the handling feel of the car, and is reminiscent of my m3. Very excited about this, as I didn't think it would make such a drastic change.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just had my car aligned. I didn't get a printout from the shop but I gave them the Dinan S1 specs to align to. They said they were able to get everything to Dinan's spec except RR toe. Dinan calls for 1.6 deg total toe which would be 0.08 on each side. They couldn't get the RR to any less than 0.38. My question is how bad is this, and what should I look to fix it? I had just replaced the short upper arm that controls rear toe so it's not that... but the fact that I needed to replace it due a very bad ball joint while every other ball joint in the rear was very tight makes me thing the PO hit something with the RR and something else must be bent.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Just had my car aligned. I didn't get a printout from the shop but I gave them the Dinan S1 specs to align to. They said they were able to get everything to Dinan's spec except RR toe. Dinan calls for 1.6 deg total toe which would be 0.08 on each side. They couldn't get the RR to any less than 0.38. My question is how bad is this, and what should I look to fix it? I had just replaced the short upper arm that controls rear toe so it's not that... but the fact that I needed to replace it due a very bad ball joint while every other ball joint in the rear was very tight makes me thing the PO hit something with the RR and something else must be bent.

.38 is going to take that tire out in 5-6K miles, that's a boat load of toe.

How are the swing arms, integral links and ball joints (the ones in the rear carrier, not the control arm ball joints)

I wouldn't run more than 0.02 rear toe...

·
Registered
699 Posts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...ignment-question-tire-wear-2.html#post6327761

Did the alignment myself after I did a complete suspension overhaul. Have installed Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers (8K fronts / and now 7K rears). Installed Thayer motorsport rear toe and camber adjustable control arms. Ride height was set at 13 1/2" all around measured from the centre of the wheel (BMW logo) to the fender top. Also, still riding on stock/staggered wheel setup - 245/40/18 and 275/35/18".

Before

<table class="cms_table_outer_border" align="center" width="500"><tbody><tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Front
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Left
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Right
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Camber
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-0.9
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-1.0
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Cross Camber
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.0
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Caster
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">6.3
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">6.2
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Cross Caster
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.1
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">SAI
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">14.6
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">14.4
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Cross SAI
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.3
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Toe
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.49
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-0.36
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Total Toe
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.13
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Rear
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Camber
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-1.7
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-1.9
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Cross Camber
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.2
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Toe
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-0.54
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.75
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Total Toe
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.21</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Thrust Angle
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-0.65</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

After

<table class="cms_table_outer_border" align="center" width="500"><tbody><tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Front
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Left
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Right
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Caster
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Cross Caster
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">SAI
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">14.6
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">14.4
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Cross SAI
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.3
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.03
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.01
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.04
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Rear
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-2.0</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-1.8
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">-0.2
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.06
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.04
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.10
</td> </tr> <tr class="cms_table_outer_border_tr" valign="top"><td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">Thrust Angle
</td> <td class="cms_table_outer_border_td">0.01
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
284 Posts
.38 is going to take that tire out in 5-6K miles, that's a boat load of toe.

How are the swing arms, integral links and ball joints (the ones in the rear carrier, not the control arm ball joints)

I wouldn't run more than 0.02 rear toe...
The integral link and ball joints in the carrier seem good. No movement when I pull on the wheel in any direction, and they (and the car) have 85000 miles on them. I wouldn't expect them to go before 100k. I guess my options are to replace the top short arm with a (more) adjustable one from Thayer Motorsports or to keep replacing rear suspension parts in case something is bent but still tight.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts