BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please collect all Blackstone Labs oil analysis results for oils OTHER THAN TWS 10W60 or BMW 5W30 in S62B50 engines in this thread.

Having comparison data, and owner comments on driving style etc, is
very important when seeking to making best use of oil analysis results.

If you have an oil report with TWS 10W60 or BMW 5W30, please post in the appropriate other thread. Do not post it here, please.

Please post Blackstone Labs oil reports BMW 5W30 here
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67916

Please post Blackstone Labs oil reports TWS 10W60 here
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67915

David

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi David...

This is an old sample...of Mobil One 15w-50 oil that I was using as a break in oil. It was only in the car for less than 2000 miles...It was only in the car for the summer months...I did not baby the car...

Mark

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big thanks, Drallen and BKH!

David

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Blackstone Oil Report
10,200 miles
Mobil 1 0W-40
Make-up Oil Added: 4.5 qts inc. 3 qts Mobil 1 EP 10W-40

Comments from Blackstone:
Nothing too unusual showed up here. Most wear metals read a little higher than average, though this is to be expected with the longer than average oil run. Universal averages show typical wear from the BMW 5.0L after ~ 3,500 miles on the oil. All wear is still reading close enough to averages that we don't think any problems are developing. The oil was normal in viscosity and free of any harmful contaminants. The TBN was strong at 5.1, showing plenty of active additive left. 1.0 is too low. All in all, things look pretty good here. Try 12,000 miles on the next oil.

·
10,445 Posts
Nice data, so perhaps a filter change halfway thru would be a good idea?

BKH said:
Blackstone Oil Report
10,200 miles
Mobil 1 0W-40
Make-up Oil Added: 4.5 qts inc. 3 qts Mobil 1 EP 10W-40

Comments from Blackstone:
Nothing too unusual showed up here. Most wear metals read a little higher than average, though this is to be expected with the longer than average oil run. Universal averages show typical wear from the BMW 5.0L after ~ 3,500 miles on the oil. All wear is still reading close enough to averages that we don't think any problems are developing. The oil was normal in viscosity and free of any harmful contaminants. The TBN was strong at 5.1, showing plenty of active additive left. 1.0 is too low. All in all, things look pretty good here. Try 12,000 miles on the next oil.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
mottati said:
Nice data, so perhaps a filter change halfway thru would be a good idea?
I've never been one to change filters between oil changes. I was once told by someone in the industry NOT to change filters if the oil change interval was in the 6K miles range because the filter would actually work better with more accumulated mileage, yet be in no danger of bypassing the oil. I once cut a used filter open on my M3 after 7.5K miles and pulled out the media - the pleats looked clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just recieved this today, my first oil analysis.... Mobil 1 15W50, 2500miles on oil (included one track day), I do not baby the car but it does sit in some stop and go driving a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
forgive me but im interested on doing an oil analysis, can you give me an idea on how it works? price for oil analysis?...im curious on the pros and cons of doing oil analysis and if the parts mentioned are repairable/replaceable

·
Registered
648 Posts
laidbacknags said:
forgive me but im interested on doing an oil analysis, can you give me an idea on how it works? price for oil analysis?...im curious on the pros and cons of doing oil analysis and if the parts mentioned are repairable/replaceable
There are lots of pro's and no con's, unless getting a little oil on you is a con, lol.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Here is my last oil change, almost 7500miles on this one. The only thing that really concerns me is the fuel. It went up from last time, but there's also about 5000 extra miles on the oil than the last sample so may be a moot point.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-40

I never posted this before because I lost the hard copy but just now had it sent from Blackstone as a pdf. My latest adventure as a board guinea pig is an even longer extended interval on a mix of Castrol 0W-30 (German Castrol) and Mobil 1 EP 10W-40, which I extracted last night. This one will be interesting and I'll post it when I get it back (had to call for a kit today so it'll take a while before it comes back).

Mobil1 0W-40 (10,200 miles)

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hi BKH,

How hard were you driving your M5 when you were using the M1 0w-40? This is my oil of choice and I'm shooting for 5000 mi oil changes under spirited driving (at least once a day at 6K rpm and between 3K-4K rpm under most driving). If your results are good at 10,000 mi and you drove the beast hard then we may have found a nice oil to use.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
M5CCIE - Mostly extended freeway and highway driving (60 mile one-way trips regularly) and about 25% in-town stuff. No track days but on hard throttle regularly. My oil always gets a chance to get hot, so as long as it 's not too hot (which is never for this kind of driving) the kind of mileage I put on the car does not deplete the additives quickly.

·
Registered
683 Posts
M5CCIE - Mostly extended freeway and highway driving (60 mile one-way trips regularly) and about 25% in-town stuff. No track days but on hard throttle regularly. My oil always gets a chance to get hot, so as long as it 's not too hot (which is never for this kind of driving) the kind of mileage I put on the car does not deplete the additives quickly.
Thanks! :M5rev::M5launch:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts