BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in years I wanted to run the heater while driving since it got below 60. I messed around with the controls for a few hours of my drive trying to get it to make warm air and ended up pulling over and just putting on a jacket. what is the trick to make it blow warmer than outside air?

tried searching just found a bunch of heater core stuff.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Welcome to the world of i drive; there is a whole quadrant menu dedicated to climate...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok, I'll ask the make me stupid question.

Did you happen to find the owner's manual while messing with the car for a few hours?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Go to home screen on IDrive then swipe to left for climate and make all the bars go to red. It'll direct the heat from the engine bay.

Edit: looks like everyone responded at the same time lol.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Leave it on Auto and just turn the temp knob (right or left side - left for driver, right for passenger) all the way clock wise. It should be the equivalent of like 90*. At that point it should blow hot air especially if it's 60's outside.

That said, also use your iDrive and check your climate settings.

If you still can't get warm air something might be up.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I just crank both temp settings up to 72 or so and the car does the rest. It stays on auto year round and has no problem heating me up in Maine. I can't imagine TX would be that difficult for the car.

There are some idrive settings for heating, you might want to check those.

·
Registered
431 Posts
could be a bad heater core, or there is air in the system. coolant flush and fill would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I'm like Jim, just crank it up to 74 and it works just fine. Never had the need to go through the iDrive.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Check this video

BMW e60 Climate control - YouTube

If you pause at 0:18, at the setting with + and - at top and bottom - this is the one that controls if it blows hot or cold air. Set it to "neutral" (somewhere in the middle) and the temperature dials on the dashboard should start working as expected. Or set it to hot (+) for hot air.

If it still doesn't blow hot air afterwards, you might have a problem with the cooling system.

P.S. The guy's phone vibrates at some point during the video, better if you lower your volume :hihi:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Of course without a goddamned WATER temperature gauge, kinda hard to gauge the performance of one's thermostat, (which if stuck open would yield little to no heat to the core if really cold out) and given the Sh*t mileage kinda hard to notice higher fuel consumption that comes with running rich if the motor is running too cold...

Notice the F10 is back to the proper gauge layout...The one thing i really hate about the E60 is all the guessing, that needs to be done: whats the oil level? how hot is it? There is probaly an idiot light for over temp but what about under?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't feel bad about not figuring out the heater......when I first got my car I took it back to the dealer because I couldn't see the HUD in the daytime. Night was okay. Found out my polarized sunglasses prevented me from seeing it during the daylight hours :) Switched sunglasses and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
As they say, there is never a stupid question just a stupid answer LOL!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts