BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

The dealership in Texas finally mailed me the detailed service records they promised (they did all the services on my car from 2002 until I bought it last December).

Some of these entries don't make sense to me, or make me wonder if there was "more" to the complaint. I also included any/all regular service entries to see if you guys think the intervals make sense. Let me know what you think:

===============================start===============

5/28/02. Mileage = 9,986

1. complaint: Reqests 36 point service. correction: Performed Service

2. complaint: Install Phantom Foot Anti-Theft System. correction: Installed as requested. hmmm (what the hell is this?)

3. complaint: Cust. Rep; Driver door lock missing from door, parts are in car :eek: correction: Replaced LT FT outside lock assembly

4. complaint: Serv indicator shows svc due. correction: Performs service per maintenance plan.

5. complaint: BMW request. Check s/i 11 03 01 for intake air funnel tube covered nder campaign entry. Label code 298. Per DCS only. Cause - defect 0011580100 FR 6 Assc. correction: SOP....

6. complaint: tech. rep; lifting blocks are missing. Correction: install blocks found in trunk.

6/3/02. Mileage 9,986

1. Complaint: BMW request. Check s/i 11 03 01 for intake air funnel tube covered nder campaign entry. Label code 298. Per DCS only. Cause - defect 0011580100 FR 6 Assc. correction: Replace all 8 intake air funnel tubes per BMWs instructions. work package 1.

6/10/02. Mileage 10,141

1. Complaint: Cust reports...drivers door does not operate w/ remote and key will not turn in cylinder. correction: replaced left door lock actuator - siezed. replaced front door latch assebly - would not go to lock position.

2. Complaint: cust requests...estimate to replace ext drivers door handle. correction: estimate is attached. :confused:

9/23/03. Mileage 22,665

1. Complaint: cust reuest perform inspection I per BMWS instructions. Please reset indicator light. correction: Perform service per maintenance plan.

2. Complaint: cust reports...SES light on/off. Correction: Read/Print fault memory. Replace bank 2 vanos solenoid pack as per tech hotline (PUMA). Clear fault memory.

3. Complaint: Cust. repo... clutch does not want to engage properly, especially 3rd gear. correction: could not verify. had foreman check also.

4. Complaint: cust repo... Rear suspension appears to be very loose, can see that top of pass rear fender will cut across top fo tire. correction: ispect rear suspension, could not duplicate.

5. Complaint: cust. reop...install 2 new rear tires as provided by customer $60 labor. correction: Mount and balance new rear tires. Had to dismount and match right rear tire 3 times to minimize weights.

6. Complaint: cust. req...brake fluid flush...customer. correction: Renew brake fluid as per BMW instructions.

11/17/03 Mileage = 23,201

1. Complaint: cust rep, clutch is slipping...see hist. when you try to take off hard. Also slips in agressive hwy driving. Cust is concerned prob. may be more than just a clutch replacement. correction: replaced flywheel and clutch kit.

2. complaint: cust rep body is hitting the tires on bumps.. over dips, etc... see LR on this too. correction: test drive unable to verify the problem..check body height front 620mm spec is 605.. rear 604mm spec is 578.

10/13/04 Mileage = 25,720

1. Complaint: Perform BMW Certified Pre-owned inspection. Correction: CPO inspection completed.

2. Complaint: Install Phantom Foot Anti Theft system. correction: install as requested hmmm (what the hell, here it is again?)

3. Complaint: cust rep both rear windows pop going up. correction; replaced both rear window regulators.

4. complaint: tech rep tires are under min spec. correction: replaced all 4 tires, Michelin Pilot sports. Performed alignment.

5. complaint: cust req change oil/filter, drain and fill coolant. correction: performed oil service and drained/filled coolant.

6. complaint: tech rep lifting blocks have fallen out, missing. correction: replaced all 4 lifting blocks.

7. complaint: tech rep front brakes are under min spec. correction: replace front brake pads.

8. complaint: tech rep front splash shield is damaged. correction: replaced right front splash shield.

comment: charge to preowned stock# P5540, $2,481 ok per ***.

=================================================end==

So what do you think guys?

I drove the home from Texas, and last week had the first service at my local BMW dealership (the car is still under factory warranty). Here's what my first service detail looks like:

2/4/05 Mileage = IN = 29,144 OUT = 29,155 grrrrrrr

1. Customer reports oil on air filter/intake.
--Replaced the Vanos control unit bank #2 and both air cleaners. 188 WP 0.09.
*1 11-36-7-831-487 AT-ADJUSTMENT
*2 13-72-1-736-675 AIR FILTER INSERT
*2 07-11-9-963-072 SEAL RING
--Replaced both valve cover gaskets
188 WP 0.24
*1 11-12-0-001-269 PROFILE GASKET
*1 11-12-0-001-278 PROFILE GASKET
*22 11-12-1-437-395 BUSH
*6 11-12-1-721-879 RUBBER SEAL
*2 11-15-1-406-790 GASKET
*1 07-12-9-952-137 CLAMP
--Replaced both diff. side seals
188 WP 0.09
*2 33-10-7-510-289 SHAFT SEAL
*1 33-10-7-510-289 SHAFT SEAL

2. Customer reports all lift pads are missing.
-- replaced all lift pads. 4x8.22 $32.88 paid by customer. ouich

I wish I had have seen the previous service records before I bought the new lift pads - this is the THIRD time they've been replaced!? Oh well, I guess they just fall out? Maybe I'll take them out & put them in the trunk...

Paul

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I don't see anything really out of line...at least it got a new clutch too. I don't know what that anti-theft thing is however. The only thing that really leaps out at me is the mileage of the car between 11/17/03 and 10/13/04. It looks like the original owner just all of the sudden almost quit driving the car for the better part of a year prior to trading it in?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The lift pads are on the four corners of the car at the jacking points. They are hand sized rubber pads that sit a couple of inches in from the side of the car behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels and they are attached by pushing in a rubber expansion pin in the center. If you look under the car you should be able to cleanly see them. When they are taken off they can product a wind noise in the car. I had mine in the trunk when I bought mine as well. Took about a minute to put them back in.

Service history looks good, nice new clutch. I would see if you can take the car to a friend that is a mechanic outside of the BMW dealerships. Reason being is that BMW will only look to fix things that you complain about. Example: I recently took the car in for the wheel discoloration issue well posted on the forum, and they replaced the wheels BUT failed to see that the rear sway bay wasn't attached to the driver's side of the car. Hence, the wierd feeling that I was getting in turns. So, I had to take the car back again to them to specifically look at that.

I have since taken it to an independent shop which looked it over, and realized that:
-the rear main seal is leaking
-the CV joint on the driveshaft is leaking
-the power steering hoses are leaking
-the diff housing is leaking

All of this stuff is covered under warranty but the dealer certainly isn't going to point it out.

:byebye:

Ed

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fasteddie said:
All of this stuff is covered under warranty but the dealer certainly isn't going to point it out.

Ed
Good advice, Ed.. Thanks. Since we're on the subject, why doesn't the dealer point these things out? Don't they get reimbursed by BMW for warranty repairs?

I had an independent shop take a look over the car and pulled codes, etc. (that's how I learned that the lifting blocks were missing). He did it for free, therfore it was just a quick once-over, he didn't pull anything apart though. I should probably do it again at another shop.

Thanks for the input.

Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
CSBM5 said:
It looks like the original owner just all of the sudden almost quit driving the car for the better part of a year prior to trading it in?
I had noticed that before I bought the car, by reading the carfax notes about mileage/service intervals. The dealership (I know, I know, dealerships are lying, theiving bullies) said that the previous owner was an older guy, who has bought/sold/traded several cars with them over the years and is kind of finicky. They went on to say more ... suggesting that it was "too much car" for him. In hindsight I wish I'd tried to call him, maybe I'll try to do that out of curiosity.

Just as strange is the missing lock / repair to the driver door handle. Maybe the car was broken into?

Paul

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Yep, drilling out the lock is a common practice for breaking into the M5.

·
10,455 Posts
I'm curious about the campaign to replace the "8 intake funnel tubes" which sound like velocity stacks. I wonder why they were replaced, anyone else have that done? maybe a defective batch?

as for the dealers not looking for warranty work, i think that'd be a conflict of interest for them vs bmwna, to go fishing for work. Probably bmwna rules that state warranty work must be initiated by a customer complaint.
Nice to have a new clutch, the vanos and valve cover gaskets, all common stuff.
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Phantom Foot Prints (as I just found on google) is a glass etch system- an ID is etched somewhere, and then you register with the company. Seems like a way for dealers to add $299 to the price of new cars.

On the lock, I think Paul has the right track- something happened to the lock, the dealer paid to get it fixed, but the owner needed a receipt for insurance or som other claim.... maybe someone else hosed the lock, admitted it, and agreed to get it fixed- and the owner said 'here is the estimate'

If this car has lost 2 or 3 sets of blocks, what is going on? I'd ask the dealer to determine what is wrong that they keep getting lost... (or is this a common thing? that is all 4 blocks dissappearing all the time)

Ard

PS "too much car for him"..."older guy"... this just plays right into that "well, *I* am young and can certainly handle this here filly".... then again, they were telling the truth :)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If this car has lost 4 sets of blocks, what is going on? I'd ask the dealer to determine what is wrong that they keep getting lost... (or is this a common thing? that is all 4 blocks dissappearing all the time)
This is odd. I've never lost one, let alone all four.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts