BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and would have some issues with my 2001 m5 120k km.

so my problem would be basically when i accalarate hard sometimes the rpm stock at 3500 or 4500
but that not happen all the time sometimes it also just very slowly goes up when reaching the higher rpms
it sounds like its not getting enough fuel also sometimes also just the engine switches off
before i had a problem with the fuel pump and i got it changed and it seamed fine for 2 days
also the car missing some torque and the idle is also not 100% round nothing crazy but still noticeable

things changed:
-1 coil wasn't working got it done
-spark-plugs are done
-fuel-filter changed
-air-filter
-camshaft sensor
-petrol pump

i made also the test for the MAFS that looked fine had around 130-135 l

please every help is welcome don't know what to do just got the car and now a bit low on money so before i continue changing i would like
to have your opinion

the only things i would have in mind now would be MAFS or somebody told me the Fuel injection relay

Thank You very much in advance

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and would have some issues with my 2001 m5 120k km.

so my problem would be basically when i accalarate hard sometimes the rpm stock at 3500 or 4500
but that not happen all the time sometimes it also just very slowly goes up when reaching the higher rpms
it sounds like its not getting enough fuel also sometimes also just the engine switches off
before i had a problem with the fuel pump and i got it changed and it seamed fine for 2 days
also the car missing some torque and the idle is also not 100% round nothing crazy but still noticeable

things changed:
-1 coil wasn't working got it done
-spark-plugs are done
-fuel-filter changed
-air-filter
-camshaft sensor
-petrol pump

i made also the test for the MAFS that looked fine had around 130-135 l

please every help is welcome don't know what to do just got the car and now a bit low on money so before i continue changing i would like
to have your opinion

the only things i would have in mind now would be MAFS or somebody told me the Fuel injection relay

Thank You very much in advance
Have you checked your codes using a Peake reader or other software?

Reactions: chowdah and sor118

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had it with an mechanic here and he check it but didn't show anything just the coil the last time
i am located in Abu Dhabi and it is an independent garage seams to be a good guy and he's doing the most BMW here
but i am still not trusting them 100%

·
Registered
836 Posts
If the car stops accelerating in that range and accelerates extremely slowly, it sounds to me like the car is in Limp Mode. I had this happen on my S54 Z3 M Coupe. Cleaning the MAF (and later replacing the MAF altogether) got rid of the problem.

I think I've read some places you can just disconnect the MAFs to test out if they are the cause of the problem. I'm not sure if that works on the M5. But if you unplug them and you don't run into this issue, it's most certainly one or both of the MAFs. Bimmerzone.com generally has the best prices for a pair of MAFs on the forum sponsor forum.

How to clean MAF:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showpost.php?p=2155596&postcount=22

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i give it a try for the mafs to disconnect them

and for the petrol smell yeah i had some before but couldn't notice in the last time before there was on clip going of the fuel filter
but could be also a other reason didn't really check the last time
for the O2 sensor i don't know i don't have record if they have been changed

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Did the car sits for any long periods of time without running and putting fresh fuel in? How does the car run when driven lightly or moderately? Does the engine ever shut off then?

To the smart people on this Board, could clogged fuel injectors cause this?

·
Registered
814 Posts
for the O2 sensor i don't know i don't have record if they have been changed
I strongly recommend you to get INPA for the long-term, especially since you don't want to spend money on unnecessary parts. It costs a fraction of an O2 sensor. Otherwise we are flying blind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the car didn't stand long time since i have it during normal driving everything is fine!
just switching off sometimes once in a while

other question what code reader you would recommend? i don't have so much experience in these stuff? i always read PEAKE?
and for what values i have to look?

I would like to thank you guys for your help so far and your fast responses even I'm not really further

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
change the 4 o2 and call it a day ...I have this before..do it

Thanks

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
INPA is a great way to read errors and read the trims

·
Registered
561 Posts
How much did that cost you?

I think I will give it a try

Try ebay. I got mines from there. Buy only bosh oem. Easy to change and no more freaken cel
And if it didn't fix your problem at least they are not a waste. Most likely they where never changed and good to know you have all new. Piece of mind. I changed only pre cats. I guess they get hotter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You should get the codes read first and do some diagnostics before blindly replacing various parts that people suggest. It could be O2's, MAF's, Fuel Relay, Fuel Pump, blah blah blah.

Check these out:

BMW OBD USB Diagnostic Fault Code Cable - This Lead allows full Coding, Programming and Diagnostics for your BMW

BMW Diagnostic Cable - Diagnostic solutions for BMW vehicles.

Cable-Shack

I bought mine from BMWTechnic (they went out of business but the software works perfectly) so I can't comment on which company above is the most trustworthy. Someone point him in the right direction please.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should get the codes read first and do some diagnostics before blindly replacing various parts that people suggest. It could be O2's, MAF's, Fuel Relay, Fuel Pump, blah blah blah.

Check these out:

BMW OBD USB Diagnostic Fault Code Cable - This Lead allows full Coding, Programming and Diagnostics for your BMW

BMW Diagnostic Cable - Diagnostic solutions for BMW vehicles.

Cable-Shack

I bought mine from BMWTechnic (they went out of business but the software works perfectly) so I can't comment on which company above is the most trustworthy. Someone point him in the right direction please.

thank you for your advice :) actually you are right but also I'm not use to run diagnostics on a car but sure that would become handy over time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts