BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to fit 18" E60 Winter Rims on my current car E39 (and use the same winter wheels later on my E60).

These are the wheels:

and here are the specs:

http://zoouz.free.fr/Wheels/style/style_184.htm

My concern is that the E60 front size is 245/45R18 but the usual E39 front size is 245/40R18 which equates to 4% (77mm) difference in tyre circumference.

Is this a major problem or do you think I should be ok fitting these rims to my car? Also, are the offsets ok? (i.e. will they fit?).

B

·
0 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I want to fit 18" E60 Winter Rims on my current car E39 (and use the same winter wheels later on my E60).

These are the wheels:

and here are the specs:

My concern is that the E60 front size is 245/45R18 but the usual E39 front size is 245/40R18 which equates to 4% (77mm) difference in tyre circumference.

Is this a major problem or do you think I should be ok fitting these rims to my car? Also, are the offsets ok? (i.e. will they fit?).
The e39 and e60 have different center-bore diameters, so they will not fit without the use of special hub-centric converter spacers.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not even these rims?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ashok,

You'll have to get 2 different sets of wheels, one for the E39 and one for the E60, as the wheels won't fit straight on, As Daniel says, you maybe able to get a "hub-centric spacer" which fits inbetween the wheel and the wheel hub.

although these are alittle expensive and driving feedback isn't great. :(

Its only for a short while, the cold snap isn't going to last to be honest ashok, is it worth spending extra for another set of wheels? easier to get a runabout car with fwd, you'll need it once the building work starts :byebye:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tin - you've obviously not seen my car with 4 bags of cement in the boot, makes the car handle like a 993 Turbo in the wet :wroom:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

These are the wheels:

and here are the specs:

Hi Ashok

This is the first time I have posted on the board for at least 7 or 8 years. Its good to be back. I do visit the board on a daily basis.
I am the international sales manager for a wheel company that designs and manufactures high end wheels. The wheels for your E39 have a centre bore of 74.1mm as has been pointed out. The E60 has a centre bore of 72.6mm. The offset for both cars is very similar so you will not have any problems. If you purchase the wheels for your E39 I will happily send you the conversion rings free of charge if you send me a private mail.
I hope that will help your decision.
On another note I will be at the Geneva motorshow as we are exhibiting with our Swiss distributor and would be happy to meet any of the board members there. I will be there from 3pm on the 2nd of March until the 6th of March on the Autrade stand number 7010 in hall 7.

Also if anyone wants help with wheel fitments for their M5's or any euro car then I will be more than happy to help.

Many Thanks

Amjad Ali

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Ashok,

The front offset on stock M5 alloys are ET22 Front ans ET20 rear This means 20 and 22mm Negative offest from the centre line, So get you calculatoer out and you can then see where the inner/outer edge will fit in comparison to stock alloys. Given people can and do fit the 9's to the front there is scope for spacering out the front wheels by possibly 15-20mm. I'm guessing you should be ok with these

If you read off the markings 9.5(i'm guessing 9.5's at the back) x 18 ET? and 8(i'm gussing 8's at the front) x 18ET? I'll work it out if it helps ?:typing:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Guys

Here is a link to a web site that will help you with wheel offsets:

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

Just adjust the wheel widths and offsets and hit the caluculate button.

Cheers

Amjad

QUOTE=Carrera2RS]Ashok,

The front offset on stock M5 alloys are ET22 Front ans ET20 rear This means 20 and 22mm Negative offest from the centre line, So get you calculatoer out and you can then see where the inner/outer edge will fit in comparison to stock alloys. Given people can and do fit the 9's to the front there is scope for spacering out the front wheels by possibly 15-20mm. I'm guessing you should be ok with these

If you read off the markings 9.5(i'm guessing 9.5's at the back) x 18 ET? and 8(i'm gussing 8's at the front) x 18ET? I'll work it out if it helps ?:typing:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help.

I've discussed this at length with BMW-GB as well as Matt at Birds of Uxbridge and the conclusion is that it is possible but not advisable to use the same wheels (centre cap size issues etc.).

I think I'm going to curtail my travel in the snow and just risk it for the next few months on my current PS2's (useless in the cold I know). I won't drive down to Geneva this year, that's for sure!

Since my E60 is only a few months away I'm going to wait and get the OEM winter wheels for that and not bother with anything for the E39.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts