BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and Happy New Year !!

Today I took my beast out for a short ride. As I was dirving, I realised that my water temp was MAXED

OUT !!! I mean all the way to the end !!!

I quickly pulled over to the side and turn the beast off. Opened up the hood and checked the coolant level

but nothing wrong.

At first I thought it could be a cold cold weather . Since my beast was parked in a climate controlled carage,

because of the temperture I thought this was happening.

After about 3 minutes , when I turned the car back on , water temp went back to normal and staied that

way until I came back home.

Why did this happen??? I recently checked for any error codes at the dealer , but none found. Collant level

was normal and collant hose was replaced last year. Car has 52100 miles on it.

Please help.

Thank you for spending your time reading through my thread .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Pull codes again and see if your t-stat is failing or if your instrument cluster is the issue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull codes again and see if your t-stat is failing or if your instrument cluster is the issue.
Hello , thank you for your fast reply !! I will take it to the dealer and have them check it out again . Is there any way you can

inspect the termostat visually ??????????

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hello , thank you for your fast reply !! I will take it to the dealer and have them check it out again . Is there any way you can

inspect the termostat visually ??????????

Not that I am aware of.

There is a way to pull exact/digital temperature using the "secret" menu. I say search the forum for directions on how to use the secret menu, then go for a drive and see how high your K-TEMP gets up to. Normal is 78-79 when fully warmed and running.

·
Registered
129 Posts
it hapened every day in my car if the outside temprature was below 10 degrees celcius.
my colant temprature was 71 72 degrees,so i replaced the thermostat and the problem was gone.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
r ur fans turning on for the radiator ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
its your thermostate as stated above.
Its very common i had it a few times then change the stat an sorted
some mention getting the DME updated as well but i didnt and still fine
mine also threw the sender on top of the stat code plausability issue but was all to do with the thermostate sender and stat itself

like me i bet your heart jumped into your mouth when it maxed out my oil guage also moved upwards a tad
but after switch of reset itself everytime and took 10 ins driving before it hit max again..

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
It may not be your thermostat...but the sending unit located next to the thermostat housing. That sending unit is responsible for sending the signal to the gauge.

1. Access secret menu as described and determine what your actual temperature is. If it is in the normal range, then consider replacing the sendign unit as described. Its an easy inexpensive fix. While your at it, replace the bottom one while your at it. It is located at the bottom of the radiator at the hose.

Good Luck

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not that I am aware of.

There is a way to pull exact/digital temperature using the "secret" menu. I say search the forum for directions on how to use the secret menu, then go for a drive and see how high your K-TEMP gets up to. Normal is 78-79 when fully warmed and running.

Thank you againa ! 78 ~ 79 understood. Ofcourse this is in Fahrenheit , right !? anyway Happy new year.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it hapened every day in my car if the outside temprature was below 10 degrees celcius.
my colant temprature was 71 72 degrees,so i replaced the thermostat and the problem was gone.

good luck.

Thank you for your advice !!! Apreciated!!! Happy New Year.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It may not be your thermostat...but the sending unit located next to the thermostat housing. That sending unit is responsible for sending the signal to the gauge.

1. Access secret menu as described and determine what your actual temperature is. If it is in the normal range, then consider replacing the sendign unit as described. Its an easy inexpensive fix. While your at it, replace the bottom one while your at it. It is located at the bottom of the radiator at the hose.

Good Luck

I'm sure my car wasnt overheating for sure !! That being said , looks like it could be the sending unit as you described.

Is there a chance t stat could be damaged like others are saying ???

Thank you for your reply and you made my ownership easier ~~~~~!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
i had the same issues as yourself,i change the stat "only" not the sensor "only as the dealer at the time didnt have one in"
and changing "just" the stat fixed my problem..but in the near future will replace both sensors as it seems a regular problem also.

·
Registered
848 Posts
its a sensor problem not the thermostat, if it was the thermostat the coolant would be very hot/boiling/steaming plus it would take a lot more then 3 min to get it back down to "normal" temperature. its cheap and easy to replace approx $15 and 5 min

·
Registered
129 Posts
when the problem was there in my car first thing i did was the double temprature sensor on top of the thermostat housing whit no result.
this sensor gives in my opinion the warning in the check control also,and that never happen.

the symtoms by the topicstarter are the same that i have,outsidetemp is -3 celcius and oiltemp is running up.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Anyone have the part numbers for the 2 sensors?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Mine did same thing. Just turn car off and on and all is normal. Reasons is for that thermo or software. I update software and allso replaced thermostate. Never happened again.
My thermostate was bad.

edit: And allso it did that thing below -10c. Never at summer.

·
Registered
657 Posts
its a sensor problem not the thermostat, if it was the thermostat the coolant would be very hot/boiling/steaming plus it would take a lot more then 3 min to get it back down to "normal" temperature. its cheap and easy to replace approx $15 and 5 min
It is my understanding that the M5's unique thermostat, when stuck, stays in the open position. You won't have overheating issues, but very slow warmup issues. Please correct me if I'm wrong

1 - 20 of 27 Posts