BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my 99'M5 black was dirty and i decided to go in a small garage near my office (it was the first time). I asked if it was possible to clean my car, they said me OK, it's will be ready for 3 PM.

At 3 PM my car was in front of my office and the man came to be paid, but few hours after when i was in front of my car to return home, a fu.. bad surprise waiting me : the 4 rims was completely BLACK !

During long time i tried with my finger to attack this black (the front wheels was more black than the rear).

But suddenly i have understand ! The acid produce used to clean the rims have completely attack the color and the chrome color was completely out, now it's like (black)orange peal.

I was crazy (really it's horrible , exactly like if you try to paint the rims with black painting bomb..........but completely drunk).

In 2 seconds i was in the garage and the boss have look long time the rims and said me : we just used water and soap ! My godness i was like a devil in this FUC... garage and after said : i will call the police (or burn this garage).....he said me : OK come back monday and i know somebody to paint it again !

I'm so disappointed and i'm sure to have no other solution than to replace the 4 wheels.

If somebody have a solution or a idea, please HELP ME, thank you.

M ragards.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The same thing happened to my rims. BMW said that they knew of no process to "clean" this as the damage in actually in the metel itself. The rims had to be replaced. This was about 4 months ago. Perhaps they now have some process available, although I doubt it. There should be a very clear warning as to how sensitive these rims are to cleaners, even those without acid and labeled as "safe" for all rims. Sorry!

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Ouch! What a drag. You have my sympathies.

Make a police report immediately and don't settle for anything but new wheels. Start building your case now - find some friends to give you written statements that they saw the wheels in perfect condition before you went to the shop. Take some photos - if possible with a camera that can superimpose the date on the picture.

They ruined your wheels! There is no guarantee a refinish job will make them like new, unless they send them to the original manufacturer of the wheels. They have insurance. Time for them to use it.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree with Greg. Make SURE you ahve them buy you new rims. No painting process (especially one of their trusted people, given the nature of their incompetence) will ever be able to duplicate the original look.

--Dan

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The rims are base-painted black, then dusted with the anthracite-style paint to give the "chrome shadow" effect. My sympathies. Whatever happened to good-old aluminum.

Alps

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Which leads me to wonder...as all of our cars age, will our wheels devolve into a grubby black?!?!?

Alps!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Jean-Christophe

This is from your august 28th post on this board.

"I have scratch my left rear rim few month ago and visite lots of company to try to fix it : forget it.
The tires was scratch too.
I have managed a good price with my dealer but i have now a other problem : My black E39 M5 is january 99 and i have receved a M5 rims of 2000 series ! and the colors is a little different, more chromed and brighness...so be careful.

JC"

It seems a little fishy that one person would have such trouble with their wheels.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Jean I am really sorry to hear that happen.

I was not aware of this. Does anybody know what you can and cannot use to clean the Rims? I had no idea of the sensitivity, and I think it could of happened to anybody. I also agree that it should be stated more clearly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jean-Christophe, good luck with your wheels and thanks for sharing the info.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's right Dan... Your clutch is fishy too!! ....Just Kidding

By the way Dan do you think you will reac the 200 posts mark for your N. Calif meet!!

Take Care

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Dunno, but this has to be some sort of record. I had better start filling it up with random topics which get people really mad (and post-heavy) :)

--Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MARLIN, you can trust me, with this M5 i have really no chance :
For example a other story : The first day i leave garage with my new car, it was about 10 AM and in front of a restaurant at 1 PM somebody have broken the front left glasses and pick up my bag and my phone.

After that a good oil consumption, the acid product in the left outside mirror (to have no ice on) have burn the painting, etc....

But it's just with my car....not in my business or in my family so it's not so important and i have planed to buy a 2001 model because it's really a super car.

·
Registered
331 Posts
JC....

My apologies, it just seemed incredible that one person could have such bad luck.

Didn't you have your wheels stolen a few months back?

Best Regards

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jean,
Sorry to hear about wheels.
Their insurance should cover the cost of your new rims.
A while ago you had a post regarding the On-board Computer settings. I have managed to unlock the settings, but I do not have a NAV screen. It is possible for me to change the language without a NAV screen?
Thanks for your help.
Regards.

------------------

·
Registered
331 Posts
Jean-Christophe

I am planning to visit Strasbourg next year.

Stasbourg is the home of the [imghttp://www.cheese-gourmet.com/cheesebar1.gif[/img]

http://www.cheese-gourmet.com/
La Cloche à Fromage
rue des Tonneliers
67000 Strasbourg
phone : 00.33.(0) 388.23.13.19
fax : 00.33.(0) 388.32.99.60

1 - 20 of 34 Posts