BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Please help! Have to drive 2006 M5 E60 & have no idea what to do!

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  robi4387 
#1 ·
So when I was younger, I drove a 5 speed manual Camaro. Had no problem. But now I have to drive a 2006 M5 E60 & have no idea how to do so. I read the owner's manual PDF posted here (thanks much!), but I'm still a bit scared. I only have to drive a couple of miles now to get to work, so maybe I should do it in the mode that doesn't require any shifting, but I don't even know how to put it into that mode. Can someone please help me, I have to be at work soon & it's a bit too hot here in the desert to rollerblade or walk there! Thanks...

#3 ·
Ummm....well....ok here goes:

its just like any normal car:

If u have a manual, just drive it like u drove your Camaro...

If its SMG, then move the lever to the right and then + shifts up next gear (either on steering wheel or use shift downwards), - shifts down (either on steering wheel or shift upwards on lever)...automating the manual shifts....pretty obvious IMO...good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
sunghyun, you are out of your mind. I am so not a troll. Are you a troll? And while I am old (61) I don't look it because I rollerblade & do Pilates & yoga every single day. Anyway, thanks for not helping me out!

texsn95, I love your post! You made me laugh. I will absolutely post a selfie as soon as I figure out how to do that while driving this car!! Guess I better take someone with me to record so I don't crash...

HM506, I like the way this car handles a lot. I tend to be a very fast driver, so I love the speed. But I don't like how loud it is. Most of my clients live in gated country clubs & I get lots of dirty looks from the golfers as I go by no matter how slowly I'm driving! I still haven't had the nerve to shift manually yet, so I've been driving in whatever the name of the mode is where you push the shifter over twice to the right & the D shows up on the dash board. I'm dying to try shifting, but I'm scared because I have to push up to shift down & push down to shift up which I find confusing & contrary. When I do try it, I think I'll use the paddles near the steering wheel instead of the shifter.

Many thanks to those of you kind enough to help me. I really appreciate it...

#14 ·
I only use the paddles to eliminate unnecessary shifting. I have aftermarket exhaust, until you spin that thing up to 6-7k it is annoying. Take your time and get comfortable but when you get to the point when you are at full power with the traction control off you will really fall in love with the car. Go to some CCC in your area and you will be able to explore the platform in the safety of a track or large parking lot. Unless you have the euro smg tune the launch control is not much better than just flooring it. Watch out when you get over 5k the car has a power band up high in the rpm range that is a kick but you have to be ready for it.

#15 ·
Alan, that's a great idea; thank you. I need to try shifting when I'm not in southern California traffic. Your post makes me wish I lived in Germany & could try this thing on the Autobahn! :)

May I ask what CCC stands for? Also, how do the paddles eliminate unnecessary shifting? Do they double shift? Thanks again for your help--very much appreciated...

#16 ·
Car Control Clinic, https://www.motorsportreg.com/
Ignore whatever club is putting on the event you can drive any brand. Most of the cars will be Porsche or BMW. It is a good way to build your skills in a safe environment with an instructor. It is not very hard on the car and you only go as fast as you are comfortable. It should be required for every new driver, both of my kids have gone.

You are driving in automatic mode so the car will do all of the shifting for you, up and down. As soon as you touch a paddle you will be in manual mode, the car will not up shift but it will still down shift. The engine has an excellent RPM range so I consider the auto mode to have excessive up shifting. I manually shift up over 3k if I am just cruising, this keeps the engine ready to rock if I need it. No need to be afraid of manually shifting the car will not let you hurt it. If you don't like it push the shifter lever over and you will be back in auto mode. When you slow down the car will still shift down. It makes the driving experience more fun like a manual.

#17 ·
Alan, thank you for all the info & help! You've got me feeling like I can do this, & it will be fun. I really love driving very fast. When I had my T-Top Z28 Camaro, the speedometer went up to like 130 or 140; one night I had the entire highway to myself at like 3am & I broke the speedometer because I went over whatever it was! Dang, that cable was expensive to fix.

By the way, you're an awesome Dad to send your kids to that clinic. Thanks again, & Happy Thanksgiving! :)

#19 ·
I treat the smg like driving a manual car. Gentle on the throttle from a stop until clutch feels like it's fully engaged and go from there.

I also drive in M mode S6 all the time with DSC off.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
M mode is whatever you set it for with the I-drive. Now that I am comfortable with the power I drive at 500 with the DSC off and all six bars on the SMG. I want quick shifts, no messing around get the clutch engaged. I think the worst thing you could do is drive the SMG in auto mode, there is just too much shifting and bogging the engine.

#23 ·
I tested my D mode and it doesn't shift early to bog down the car. Maybe because I put it on 5 bars for the shift speed. It shifts depending on how much throttle you are giving it it seems.

I only use it to see how the cae behaves if I ever have to lend my car to someone who can't drive "manual" lol.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Er, hold on. Mine starts in p400,D and one bar change by default. It is a 20mph neighbourhood zone for 500 yards (then main road is 30 for 5 miles!), but as so many jerks have stupidly loud exhausts and street race, I have to set an example.
D when 2yo and wife in the car or in a suit. There's stiil many a time and place for the M button

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.