BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if BMW are trying it on with me but let me explain.

When I go over a bump I get a a small thud coming from the right hand side rear of the car, it does not happen all the time and there is no relation to the size of the bump and the speed I am going, sometime I feel and hear it and sometimes I don't.
BMW have quoted me 3281 euro's to fix the problem and says I need these two parts
26 10 2 228 910
33 10 2 229 566

Can somebody please help me as I have already spent 10000 euro's on this car and don't want to spent another 3281.
:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Wow. They want to replace the joint in the drive shaft and the rear differential?

Is there any chance it could be a broken rear sway bar bracket causing this?

·
Registered
7,542 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Andy, sorry to hear of the trouble you are having!

It could also be your exhaust hangars and/or the center exhaust bushings.

I had a 'thud' type noise in my car and there was no pattern to when it would happen.

If you can have your car raised up on a ramp or drive it over a maintenance pit you can check the center one very easily, grab the exhaust and push it up and pull it downwards repeatedly - my center bushings were very worn, even thought they looked ok, I could move the exhaust up and down and on the downward movement the bushings would compress and the exhaust would hit on the center mounting plate - replaced them and never had the noise again - that was months ago.

Item number 6 here;

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE92&mospid=47550&btnr=18_0375&hg=18&fg=20

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yep I would check the exhaust hangers first. My car started doing that and it was one of the tranny/exhaust mounts.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have just been to my dad's ranger rover mechanic and he said if it was the differential I would know about it, he thinks it may be the suspension gromit for the LSD which is 3 euros not 3000.
The problem is I knew when I got the car I was going to have to throw some money at it and now BMW think I am a sucker.
The car is getting jacked up on monday to see what is what.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have just been reading through some old threads going back to 2002 and everybody who has had diff problems has had a whining noise which I don't have.
Could somebody tell me what are the symptoms of a bad diff are.
Now I am starting to wonder how much of that 10000 I did not need to pay for repairs on my car.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi Andy,

if your diff was failing you would definitely hear it, it would make a horrible noise that just doesn't sound right.

Most 'thumping' type noises in my experience are down to worn rubber or other damping materials.

It is also very difficult to isolate exactly where a noise is coming from when you are driving the car.

If I were you I would try to find a decent indy near to you and have him check out all the various bushings and rubber mounts etc.

There really are a lot of these items on our cars, the back boxes are held up with a total of 6 bushings/hangars, there are a further 2 exhaust bushings at the center of the car.

Then there are all the suspension bushings (I have just ordered all of these for my car) - lots of them!!

You also have the tranny mounts which can also fail.

Any of these would give you a thumping/thud type noise.

What age is your car? What is the mileage like? Chances are most of those components are worn out by now and could do with being replaced anyway - and for less money than a new diff!

If you don't have access to a ramp or pit try reaching under your car anyway and give the exhaust a really good rattle at several different locations, you may hear a thud. Repeat this with the exhaust tips.

You could also check that the battery is securely clamped in place.

Best of luck Andy and make sure to keep us posted on how you get on,

Richie.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had the exact same "thud".
Took it in - tried telling me about some rear differential Bull-crap. $$$.:eek:oohhh:

Ended up being a broken rear sway bar and also found a broken Exhaust clamp.
Get a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys will take your advise. Monday I am taking the car to my dads range rover mechanic, he does jags and aston martins as well. He has even got an old lambo engine which he plays with so hopefully we will find the problem. I will keep you posted, thanks again.
Sorry to the moderators about the title I was in a state of shock when I wrote it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok I need some more help.

I had the car up on a ramp this morning and my friend found that my shock absorber is rubbing on the suspension.
But when the car is sitting on the ramp the suspension and shock absorber look ok, but when he lifted the rear of the car off the ramp it was clear to see that the shock was not in the cetner of the the suspension coil and was rubbing at the top.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but that could be normal Andy, if the suspension is fully extended it will not be in the normal geometry.

Still, I am not sure on this - perhaps if it is not correct then your problem could be with the top mount on your suspension.

Richie.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep your right Richie, just phoned BMW in england and spoke to a mechanic who said that is normal.
Only problem is he said the problem may be with a rubber bushing at the top of the shock absorber which means gutting most truck area to get to it and maybe the rear seat too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah, lots of stripping out!!

Sounds like you are getting to the issue you have though - that will take some of the sting out of all the work!

Best of luck Andy - keep us posted!

Richie.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right had another look at the suspension and the right hand side shock absorber is not at the same angle as the left, also ever since I got the car there has been a squeak coming from the right rear wheel area.
I am now going to order these two parts and swap them out on both sides.

I will keep you posted.....

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right heres the update:
Before I begin I had a really great time doing this with my friend, we spent all day doing it and I learnt a lot about how a cars suspension, and other things, work. We started at 9 in the morning and finished at 9 in the evening with a couple of beers, great day.:cheers:

Anyway, we removed, or should I say he removed and I watched, the rear suspension to replace the two rubber bushings (one at the top and one at the bottom) and the cap at the top of the shock absorber / suspension. Rear parcel shelf is a *%^ch to get out by the way, if anybody needs to know what we did give me a shout.

Put everything back together and went for a test drive.
Firstly I mistakenly pulled out all trim in the boot (I was very eager to help but just created more work for us), this however solved my intermitent pdc problem.:confused:

Secondly the squeak from my right rear wheel area is gone but not the original noise I was trying to fix from the other side.

So my question is now what else do you think it may be and seeing as we have now checked every peice of my rear suspension, thrust arms, shock absorbers, crank, diff, exhaust etc or is this a noise I should just live with

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
FWIW I had a clunking sound coming from the rear that turned out to be worn lower ball joints. They were replaced and the noise disappeared.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a problem similar to this and it is my driveshaft bearing that needs to be replaced as there is play in it - not sure if you've checked that yet

·
Registered
657 Posts
It is possible that when you hit a bump your rubber is actually hitting the wheel well. Get your rear wheel fenders ROLLED. I had this problem after adjusting my suspension. I added the PSS9 kit you end up a tad lower than stock and if you don't roll the fender you hear this awful noise, I would hear it if I had people int he back seat and hit a bump in the road. Fender roller is mad cheap and in most cases free. But this is a good thing to do regardless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts