BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I was in processing of doing rod bearings, timing chain, clutch, transmission change in preparation of ESS 560 supercharger install and came across e60 for sale, and fell in love after looking at it...

Here is the deal. M5 still under CPO warranty till Nov 2014 or 100K whichever comes first. Just had new rear rotors and brakes replaced, valve cover gaskets, and some other misc stuff, I am really surprised with the fact that not much went wrong with it ever since it was new until now, which is a good thing, right? :)

It needs tires, nothing else, has a lot of options, I have attached options list and some photos.

There is one scratch on the front bumper (current owner was piling off clear front bra and ripped some paint off as well on the very bottom), and one more scratch on the rear bumper, other that that car looks beautiful.

The only reason I even consider this car is because it is MANUAL 6 speed, not SMG, I just must have clutch pedal in the M5 I drive :)

Based on the fact that it is still under warranty (meaning nothing is wrong with it for sure, and if there is dealer will fix it) its the conditions, and the fact that is is face lift model (2008) do you guys think 28K is a fair price?

PS: car is completely stock, except exhaust. Current owner have not had a single call about the car for about 4 weeks and decided to build his own custom exhaust (he has his own fabrication company and used to work for ESS turning). He is finishing it up on Friday and will let me "hear" and driver it as soon as he is done. He said that have build a lot of custom exhausts for e60 already and promises that it will sound amazing, in worst case I could always get stock exhaust if I really hated it.

I have attached pictures of the car as well as exhaust half way done :).

I really appreciate your feedback on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Wow, that is a cleaner than new underside, none of my new cars where rust free after a year in Michigan.

If you end up not liking it I will trade you my 2010 Legacy LTD + $ 11,000.00 cash or 2007 Tundra LTD + $ 6,000.00 cash (time ltd offer expires 8/01/2014 assuming flawless title history, no water damage, lemon buy back, accident, salvage, theft recovery etc), if I can smell it has been smoked in, no deal, from your post assuming you are buying from the original owner with a complete service history.

No calls in 4-weeks! it must have something on Carfax or Autocheck.

Or am thinking it is that M5’s are bought with disposable income as a toy, thus no one is in a rush to buy unless a smoking deal in order to allow contingency money for all the horror stories noted on the forums

My thinking is after 8/01/14 one will see even better deals hit the market, since no one wants to store and insure a car they are not driving over the winter.

·
Registered
405 Posts
CPO 'till Nov '14 is only 4 months - not a whole lot of time.
Wowza - that underside is squeaky clean....almost too clean. Did you take those pics? Stage 1,2&3?

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,400 Posts
I'm a tank of gas short of 100,000 miles on my 6MT e60 m5. She has been my daily driver and track toy for the last 70,000 miles. I've used her as my long distance commuter to NorCal, Phoenix, and Vegas.

1) Get a PPI, and 2)What history do you have on the car? I'm overly anal about maintenance, which is why I think I've had such good luck. I've only replaced maintenance/wear items -- including my rod bearings.

I've never needed to file a warranty claim and NEVER seen a RCOG! My previous owner replaced the clutch at 18,xxx; I'm still on that same clutch. No SMG pump failure for me!

Off the top of my head...At that mileage, I would check your wheel bearings, control arms, rod bearings, oil cooler, alternator, and all your hoses and bushings.

Good luck in your search.

My mods are in my signature...

·
Registered
153 Posts
89k miles and the underside looks THAT new...especially the heat-shielding? Gorgeous car for sure, but if I were you I'd get the last 7 of the VIN and call either Chapman or Snottsdale BMW and talk to a service advisor about the car. Not sure how an '08 could still be under CPO warranty, but I guess it's possible. If nobody has extended it, you should be able to before November if you end up buying the car.

As for why the seller hasn't had any calls in 4 weeks...probably because he's asking almost retail blue book for it. Private party value for that car in excellent condition is right around $27,500 (and KBB won't give a price for CPO...apparently 'cause they don't think it's possible for the car to still be under CPO warranty). It is awful pretty, though!

I still say get the last 7 of the VIN and have an SA at a dealership run it for you and give you the rundown on the car. IF everything checks out ok, I say offer the guy $25k. If he doesn't take it right away, just sit back and wait a week or two...lol.

Reactions: AWOL

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
89k miles and the underside looks THAT new...especially the heat-shielding? Gorgeous car for sure, but if I were you I'd get the last 7 of the VIN and call either Chapman or Snottsdale BMW and talk to a service advisor about the car. Not sure how an '08 could still be under CPO warranty, but I guess it's possible. If nobody has extended it, you should be able to before November if you end up buying the car.

As for why the seller hasn't had any calls in 4 weeks...probably because he's asking almost retail blue book for it. Private party value for that car in excellent condition is right around $27,500 (and KBB won't give a price for CPO...apparently 'cause they don't think it's possible for the car to still be under CPO warranty). It is awful pretty, though!

I still say get the last 7 of the VIN and have an SA at a dealership run it for you and give you the rundown on the car. IF everything checks out ok, I say offer the guy $25k. If he doesn't take it right away, just sit back and wait a week or two...lol.
CPO is already an extension from the 4 year/50,000 new car warranty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How much of an extension, though? Cause I know the CPO on my 2010 M5 is good through 2015 or 100k, and I can purchase an extension to either the maintenance or the repair part of it for an additional year if I want...as long as I do it well before it expires next year.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CPO is valid till Nov 2014. Here is the paperwork, it was purchased for 72 month.
Regarding rust: M5 came from California, last year was in AZ, so the way how it looks under carriage is normal for CA/AZ :) I have mine 2000 M5 with 164K miles on it and looks pretty much the same except a little more dusty..

I didn't take pictures of the exhaust, however saw it in person(car is on the lift), looks just like photo shows it ..

Yeah I tried to offer 27K didn't work. Owner said he doesn't really wants to sell it, and if he does he will use money for his business, if not, he will just have fun driving it (the reason he started building custom exhaust).

So the the question is, either I pay 28K or I won't get it...

Like I said I am in process supercharging mine e39, and need eprox 7K to do it all, including rod bearings and timing chain, and I will end up having 560hp e39, or I could buy this one for 28K and sell my e39..??????

From my previous experience calling dealer won't help. Dealer will not disclose service history unless I am the owner.. :sad3:

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am at 84k miles with my MT and have only had basic maintenance things which I keep up on religiously and it has a warranty. Not 100% sure about the price but if it checks out on inspection and carfax and is only $500 off blue book and you want it I would say do it but that is me, I love my beast to death.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you, I will send you last 7 of the VIN. I called BMW north scottsdale, they refused give me any info on it, since I am not the owner.

PM sent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much of an extension, though? Cause I know the CPO on my 2010 M5 is good through 2015 or 100k, and I can purchase an extension to either the maintenance or the repair part of it for an additional year if I want...as long as I do it well before it expires next year.
I asked Dealer for CPO extension, they said NO. :sad3:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that looks like its pretty clean man, in the same price range you might want to consider one of the member's rides that currently for sale....its a 6MT already with an all-metal widebody + some tasteful mods. Its mostly back to stock now and ready for the shenanigans you have planned haha.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/ca...ne-white-sema-project-car-heavily-modded.html
Thanks man, but I would rather buy one that has not being touched yet (mods) and this one still under warranty for at least 4 month, haha

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
CPO after new car warranty adds another two years or a total of 100k miles. CPO warranty is not bumper to bumper though, not like the new car warranty.

Once you are in CPO coverage you can not extend it further through BMW only other options after are aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CPO after new car warranty adds another two years or a total of 100k miles. CPO warranty is not bumper to bumper though, not like the new car warranty.

Once you are in CPO coverage you can not extend it further through BMW only other options after are aftermarket warranty.
Yes you right, I can not, I called dealer.

So i have been doing some research and sounds like this car should cost around 26K, he is asking 2K more than it worth.
Financially buying this car doesn't make sense... So if I buy it now for 28K next day I could possibly try to sell it for 26K and most likely end up getting 25K -> thats what you call "not a good deal". Besides after driving it for a year, lets say I put 20K miles with 109 miles next year it will cost 23K if that.

Sounds like the best deal would be buying already one with 100 or 110K for 22-23k and after putting 20k the price will only drops around 2K.

I do understand that deal is not that great, however car does look nice and the fact that is it still on CPO make a difference too... but still no matter how I put it, it is a little overpriced..

Do you guys agree?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes you right, I can not, I called dealer.

Sounds like the best deal would be buying already one with 100 or 110K for 22-23k and after putting 20k the price will only drops around 2K.

Do you guys agree?
Or even smarter.. Since I am already at $30K range, why not to buy one with 67K miles for around ~$30K, and I bet I can find one of 2008 production

·
Registered
153 Posts
yes you right, i can not, i called dealer.

So i have been doing some research and sounds like this car should cost around 26k, he is asking 2k more than it worth.
Financially buying this car doesn't make sense... So if i buy it now for 28k next day i could possibly try to sell it for 26k and most likely end up getting 25k -> thats what you call "not a good deal". Besides after driving it for a year, lets say i put 20k miles with 109 miles next year it will cost 23k if that.

Sounds like the best deal would be buying already one with 100 or 110k for 22-23k and after putting 20k the price will only drops around 2k.

I do understand that deal is not that great, however car does look nice and the fact that is it still on cpo make a difference too... But still no matter how i put it, it is a little overpriced..

Do you guys agree?
absolutely!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts