Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Holy smokes Tin - where have you been hiding?! :eek::byee55amg

·
Registered
323 Posts
sounds like a great idea putting a unknown ( started in 2003 ) japanese manufactured part into a perfectly engineered german car. Reminds me of those split fire spark plugs then came out here in the states 15 years ago. screwed up everyones cars then disappeared.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Yea, and they cost $ 613+ ...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy smokes Tin - where have you been hiding?! :eek::byee55amg
lol.. hey dude hows it going! I'm still here with the m5.. just been mega mega busy!! will send ya a msg.

These plasms spark boots are actually made by Ignition Solutions, who came out with the original plasma coils (I've been running them for a few years, without any problems).

·
10,456 Posts
i have the ignition solutions coils too, but wow, that is a lot of $$ for the boots. I think they cost a few bucks for new ones at the dealer, and how much hp can they be worth!?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
sounds like a great idea putting a unknown ( started in 2003 ) japanese manufactured part into a perfectly engineered german car. Reminds me of those split fire spark plugs then came out here in the states 15 years ago. screwed up everyones cars then disappeared.
how about your japanese NGK spark plugs or your Alpine audio/video equipment in your car??

talk about german engineering

·
Registered
657 Posts
$1,586.00 thats serious. Any real benefits?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Any news on the plasma coil installation?

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Any news on the plasma coil installation?
Just finished it last weekend, finally! Install with new plugs took 2-3 hours. Not hard. Haven't gotten to drive the Beast really hard since the install, and I have a header leak that I need to fix before I do so. I should be able to test it out with the "butt dyno" this weekend, then will be getting to a real dyno in the next few weeks. I should note that apparently Steve Dinan himself has dynoed these things and concluded that they regularly add around 5hp. We shall see.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Ok. I've now had a chance to drive the car with the plasma coils and boots pretty extensively. The coil-related misfires clearly have been cured (pulled codes after multiple drives, some easy highway and some of the "MAF testing" type, and no codes at all, whereas I had regular misfire codes previously). As for the claim of increased horsepower, I will say that my perception is clearly yes, the Beast seems noticeably more responsive and peppy. That being said, there is really no way to tell until I dyno against the baseline.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts