BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is the M5 forum, but there at 10x the people here and my worries are with the common parts... the SMG transmission and the engine.

As a long time E39 M5 owner, I'm used to the repair bill of M cars, though I will admit, I got lucky with my M5 which I bought off board member StallionM5 many years ago and it's been mostly reliable (far more than the E39 540 I had before it)

Anyway, back to my question. How much money should I keep in my special car account to handle issues and what should I worry about?
First off are the two biggies... Total engine failure and total transmission failure.... are these common? Common enough I should get a warranty? Common enough I should get a warranty at any price and sell the car as soon as I can no longer buy another?

Second is the sub-total failure repairs and/or non-warranty repairs:
Clutch - $2k from my trusted indy is what I've read.
SMG pump (I've read from the cost of a relay up to $3800 replacement at the dealer)
- This is an ouch, but is it really that common?
Rod bearing failure - $4k?
- This sounds low to me... but I think that's what I read in one of the thousands of posts I've ready of the last couple of weeks.
- Again ouch, but it's not that common right?
Others?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh ya, I'm a spirited driver, but stoplight 0-60 is not my thing. I'd do the launch control thing one time to say I have and never touch it again....

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yeah, $10K would be a good starting point. It should cover any major issues, albeit one at a time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What repair would that be for?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
In case you have to buy a used motor from Troy.

A number of people change their Vanos High Pressure Lines during the Rod Bearing Swap. Stuck open injector can hit you between the eyes as well.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
too many variables. 10k is probably safe per repair, but if you have the tranny and an engine go, then 10k won't get it fixed.

You're probably better off spending 3-7k on a lower mileage sample and buying a warranty for 5-7k, than keeping 10k in the what if account. I've owned my car for 2 years and every 6 months on the nose, it goes in for a huge repair (repairs vary between 4-12k so far). Thank god for my warranty.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, more time warranty shopping :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oh ya, I'm a spirited driver, but stoplight 0-60 is not my thing. I'd do the launch control thing one time to say I have and never touch it again....

Ha! He says that now. :D I think we all did when we first bought our cars.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would look for a one Owner that was not leased, (typical intention of a lease is to avoid consequences of design issues, poor maintenance, hard use, or all the above).

It may be impossible to find an owner that has both a highly compensated skill set that allows a new car cash purchase and be hands on enough to know that 15k oil changes is stupid if you intend to keep an M6 past 4-years.

I bet they are out there, and are reading this forum with out ever having an intention to sell their crown jewel lovingly cared for kept in a heated / air conditioned garage since new and have not yet experienced a single major problem due to preventative maintenance and shutting her down the first sign of issue.

They know it is better to get a flat bed than driving it to the dealer.

T

·
0 Posts
Mileage doesn't matter if the car is over 50k miles then change the following:

Rod bearings
Rod bolts
Vanos line
Vanos solenoids
Plugs

Once you change these, you will have no worries for around 60k more miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Rod bearings do not care what year your car is so I would save up for that for sure.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all. I've contacted Bruce and will be getting a warranty. I figure a few thousand on top of that just in case the clutch goes and I should be in good shape.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thanks all. I've contacted Bruce and will be getting a warranty. I figure a few thousand on top of that just in case the clutch goes and I should be in good shape.
Try to find one with 35k or less miles. Then go shopping at your local credit unions for an extended warranty. I picked up my 5 yr/60k exclusionary policy with $250 deductible for $1900. My car had 33k when I purchased it. Everything you listed is covered by the warranty except the clutch. SMG pump is covered. I would imagine the price your local credit union would charge would be similar to mine. 2Live4 purchased a warranty through the credit union on his 59k car for under $3k IIRC. Warranties purchased through credit unions are just a fraction of the cost that others here sell theirs for...with the same exact coverages.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts