BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The money I would get for selling my beast which has 117k is just not worth it. Seeing the market almost hitting the teens just reassures me it's not worth selling. So, with 117k on the clock and being that I DD my car during the nice months, how worried should I be about a rebuild? Let me state that I will NOT give my money to the Stealer. $20k for a rebuild is redicalous. I'm more then capable of pulling the engine and getting it to a shop for a rebuild. But my question is, does it take a "special" engine builder to rebuild the whiney S62? Does anyone have any experience in this matter and know off hand how much parts will roughly run?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Suggestion......

The money I would get for selling my beast which has 117k is just not worth it. Seeing the market almost hitting the teens just reassures me it's not worth selling. So, with 117k on the clock and being that I DD my car during the nice months, how worried should I be about a rebuild? Let me state that I will NOT give my money to the Stealer. $20k for a rebuild is redicalous. I'm more then capable of pulling the engine and getting it to a shop for a rebuild. But my question is, does it take a "special" engine builder to rebuild the whiney S62? Does anyone have any experience in this matter and know off hand how much parts will roughly run?
1) You will probably get at least 150k from your motor; assuming good maintenance has been practiced since new. If you proactively replace rod bearings ( only known common weakness in S62), you'll most likely get ~200k before rebuild is necessary.

2) Another thought is to buy a complete motor out of a wrecked M5 with a lot lower miles (Tranny, too). You'd have to "hunt" a little, but they're around. Have it tested on an engine dyno to verify it's condition. 'Think this would be less $$$ than a rebuild; and certainly less time.

3) If you decide on a rebuild, pick your indy shop wisely. S62's are NOT the same as most engines. For starters, they're all aluminum. A much different experience and skill level is required.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Maintenance on this car has been incredible, part of the reason why I opted for this over a lower mileage car...

I'll look into having the rod bearings replaced sometime this year...

My concern about buying another S62 is why would I? I would imagine finding one is going to cost me 10gs easily. Parts for this rebuild can not run more then 4-6k and then the labor to rebuild it. The transmission in my car was replaced at 84k too due to a bad 3rd gear.

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it...

·
Registered
638 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts