BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kind of thing changes all of the time, so where is the place to buy Koni replacement shocks right now?

The only place I have found is tire rack. Are there any other components I need to buy at the same time to do a direct shock replacement?

I'm also probably going to buy the Lemfoerder thrust arms from Amazon, unless I hear that it is better to just do the X5 bushings.

Thanks

·
4,356 Posts
ECS Tunning carries Konis

but why not buy direct from Koni N.A.?

i remember a member who ordered from tirerack (iirc) go 2 different length shocks (w/ the same part no.); they where also a different shade of yellow.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Try Bavauto, I got mine from them :). I had shopped around the time and they had the best price.

Most places are near the same in price.. and most of the time they are "On Sale". The key would be to buy out of state.

I would buy new front upper shock mounts along with the bearing plate. You can also go for new spring pads too.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
TireRack : $710
BavAuto: $701.82

Turner has Bilstein PSS Coilovers for $1075

·
Registered
836 Posts
As folks said, there is a 25% off sale now.

When I bought mine, i paid something like $695 shipped from ImportRT (it's a website, but also a username on bimmerforums (and probably other websites)). Best price I found anywhere.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As folks said, there is a 25% off sale now.

When I bought mine, i paid something like $695 shipped from ImportRT (it's a website, but also a username on bimmerforums (and probably other websites)). Best price I found anywhere.
Looks like they're still the best so far.

Koni NA = 751
BavAuto = 701.84
ImportRP.com = 661.18

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for the answers. I'm probably going to order from importRP. Any word on the thrust arm bushings? I'm getting that shimmy under moderate braking. Should I get the amazon part or just new X5 bushings?

I'm sticking with koni shocks because I want to keep the car fairly original. It is just going to be used for cruising. No track or overly aggressive driving.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm curious what other parts are wise to do. I'm nearing 100k, so I'd like to do as much at once as possible.

·
Registered
836 Posts
look at the spreadsheet in my sig...i did literally everything in the front except the drivers side wheel...

On thrust arm bushings, I couldn't get rid of that shimmy, even after replacing everything, until i installed dinan monoballs. I also think it had a lot to do with the Sumitumo HTR ZIII tires which got swapped for Michelin PSS around the same time. Shimmy free (but for christ sake, i should be at this point)

I set my koni rears about 1 turn from soft per some of the things I read here. That's far to harsh for my liking. I have to take them out again at some point, but I've lived with it for the last year+.

·
4,356 Posts
+1 fmcfad01

i replaced my entire suspension except for steering rack & wheel bearings and I will still get the shimmy every once in a while even on michelin PSS

@OptionlessM
don't hesitate to splurge now on suspension,
1. it will make the job that much easier
2. you will have to do it anyway so save yourself the trouble

my suggestion is to do all the items in this kit:

BMW Suspension Kit Front and Rear (540i M5 E39) - OEM 540E3922PIECE-L | FCP Euro

31121141961, 31121141962, 31351095664, 32211091723, 32211091724, 32211096059, 32211141592, 33321090030, 33326768791, 33321091687, 33321094209, 33321094210, 33326767748, 33551095532, 31121092609, 31121092610

where you get the parts doesn't matter as much as getting either lemforder or BMW OE; stay AWAY from MAYLE & FEBI

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thank you fmcfad01 and JohnAnthony this info is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought the Koni shocks from Import RT at 661 shipped. Thanks for the help I would not have found that.

Any sourcing for the thrust arm bushings?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Urgent help if possible!

I have the front suspension off. The shaft diameter on the konis is smaller than OEM. Looks like a 540 shock. The bump stop does not fit properly on the koni. Very loose.

Is this normal for koni replacements or did Import RP give me the wrong parts...

·
4,356 Posts
Hey are the Konis sold by Dinan the exact same as everyone else?
I could have swear reading on here some time ago that they are valued differently or something just for Dinan ...
yes this has been mentioned many times, but I don't recall anything more technical that "Koni would not use the same part number for a shock that is valve differently"

which leads many people to believe Dinan's claim of "specifically valved for Dinan" to reference simply to the amount of turns recommended by Dinan

for what it's worth I'm going to install Dinan springs on standard Koni Yellows (the combo will match identically to dinan konis)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts