BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am thinking of doing the updated oil spray nozzles that cool the piston bottoms. Can these be changed relatively easily while the connecting rod bearings are changed using the "simplified method" (take front suspension apart, remove oil pan, leave engine in car, etc.)

Also, would this be a great time to change a TBA as well? Not sure what needs to come off the top of the engine, if anything, during a rod bearing swap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yes the oil squirters are easy to replace while doing rod bearings. Use a long 1/4 drive extension. I remove the spark plugs because I usually do a compression test first, but mainly I remove them so that I can prime the oil system using the starter. I like having the the piston/connecting rods unloaded (no compression) while I'm waiting for the oil to get circulated through the crank since I had the oil pump off. Usually takes (5) 20 second cycles before I see the oil pressure start to register. That's just me though. The L plenum has to be off anyway with the type of engine support I use. I usually put new plugs in too since I had them out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
B767capt
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing