BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise as to whether these piggyback resistors which give the ECU a cold air reading are any good?
If so, which wires on the MAF should they be contected to?
Or don't touch them.................:confused2

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Those are called "IAT sensor relocation kits" here. (Intake Air Temperature)
or IAT-kits for short.
Many are pleased with those. Search a bit, and you´ll find a lot of posts.

David

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think he is talking about something different, maybe he could post the ebay link for all to see, Josh

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Ah, do you think he means a set of resistors that manipulate the signal from the temperature sensor in the MAFs such that the intake air appears to be colder to the DME? (DME = BMW term for ECU)

If so, I would suggest getting an IAT kit instead. It at least reports the actual outside air temperature as intake air temperature to the DME.

The engine compartment can get amazingly hot. This in turn heats the intake air temperature sensor via its cables and mounting hardware, especially when the car is standing still with less airflow through the engine compartment.

This is usually only a problem when driving away after the car has been parked with a warm engine and in the sun on a hot day.

David

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
I do mean the resistors which manipulate the air temp. signal. I have used them before on other vehicles and they have worked well but not on anything as 'touchy' as the M5's nervous system. Just wondered if anyone had tried them, as value for money they are exceptional but not if they create problems.
They can be found easily on ebay just searching through the automotive section using the term 'chip'.
Thanks
jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi David,
There is no problem with the car. The reason I am considering this is that there is a very noticable difference in the car, performance wise, when the air temp is much lower, ie. first or last thing. I fitted these resistors to a 996 and a diesal Range Rover, we had previously and they made a big difference without any mishaps but I have already had MAF probs with the M5, apparently caused by replacement K&N filters, so I dont want to repeat the problem.
I have looked at the other cold air options but they mostly use oil based filters which again are not best for the MAF's - or so I'm told.
Rgds
jim

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I think Kludge, just like QA inspector Kilroy as in "Kilroy was here", is the name of an actual historical person in the US Navy during WWII.

Kludge was good at fixing electrical problems with unorthodox temporary fixes of his own invention. The long term reliability of those fixes were not to be trusted, but who cares when you are in battle and need to get the stuff working right now. Kludge has since come to mean a cleaver tweaked temporary fix that gets something to work momentarily.

There are those who say Kludge is the american form of the German word Kluge meaning "Clever Man", the German naval term for a technical smart-***.

I don´t know... This could be all wrong, so if anyone has better info on Mr Kludge / Hr Kluge, please post.

David

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Thank you David, and thank you google with the extra information. That makes a lot of sense now, as opposed to 12 hours ago when I was really confused. :thumbsup:
:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting but drifting from the thread a little.
Does anyone know of these resistors having harmed the car?
thnks

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
As previously posted...forget about using resistors and get the IATS relocation kit from either UFMotorsports or Beastpower. The results are great. My beast runs in 80 degrees like it was 60.
:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts