BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know who makes such? just found out today that all the software company's bs (not trying to talk smack) about stealership not being able to detect due to the fact that it is a flashing procedure, and no physical tamper does not mean it is stealth. found out from few good friends of mine who are actual master tech from couple bmw stealerships locally in socal. turns out piggyback system would be the safest bet, they said that it has more potential of covering up "just in case" if something goes wrong. never know... just wanted to know if anyone knew of any company out there. of course this is for all the sake of warrenty.

·
Registered
797 Posts
does anyone know who makes such? just found out today that all the software company's bs (not trying to talk smack) about stealership not being able to detect due to the fact that it is a flashing procedure, and no physical tamper does not mean it is stealth. found out from few good friends of mine who are actual master tech from couple bmw stealerships locally in socal. turns out piggyback system would be the safest bet, they said that it has more potential of covering up "just in case" if something goes wrong. never know... just wanted to know if anyone knew of any company out there. of course this is for all the sake of warrenty.
ask abid at asr he's building a twin turbo for the v-10 and i'm pretty sure he's using a piggy back for it. he should be able to give you the info you need. great guy with a lot of knowledge!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
www.asrengineeringinc.com I beleive. I second the comment about Abid, nothing but a straight shooter from all my dealings with him.

Reactions: Pegasusmjv

·
Registered
991 Posts
www.asrengineeringinc.com I beleive. I second the comment about Abid, nothing but a straight shooter from all my dealings with him.
Their site is getting "remodeled" right now, you can't look at any products due to the update. They have a cool site but its been under re-construction for quite some time.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Their site is getting "remodeled" right now, you can't look at any products due to the update. They have a cool site but its been under re-construction for quite some time.
correction: updating product line

its about time we start getting some forced induction products out, a twin turbo M6 will be very very nasty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A piggyback is the cheap way of going, and is not as good. Its basically tricking the ECU, and doesnt always work. Ive dealt with ECUs that learn, and some that do things like avance timing when you pull fuel with a piggyback.

Get a real tune, dont mess with the piggyback, and dont worry about warranty issues.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A piggyback is the cheap way of going, and is not as good. Its basically tricking the ECU, and doesnt always work. Ive dealt with ECUs that learn, and some that do things like avance timing when you pull fuel with a piggyback.

Get a real tune, dont mess with the piggyback, and dont worry about warranty issues.
Not to be a PITA, or stomp all over your idea, and seriously no offense to you at all. but if sh*t happens for God sakes..., and i do appreciate your input, i don't think you are planning on paying up my bill when it arrives. Question was as i described in case things go wrong for "ANY" reason; i'd rather be safe than sorry (according to my bmw techs, they claim that they can work with piggyback np). Plus just the gain from ecu flash alone (which is virtually "NONE") without crossing beyond border line. as is, the car bone freakin stock, it's got some pretty damn aggressive timing, it's not like a turbocharged vehicle where, it's chipped now i gained 40+. If there is ANY software out there (by itself, alone) that made an actual gain of more than 5whp; if that, on RPI's dyno, i would think about it.

The main reason why i would want a software for my car is for only two things. Raised speed limiter (clarification: you cannot disable it ever, but you can raise it to something outrageous like 300mph or so, that the car will never be able to acheive on its own), and disable CEL for removed cats.

:cheers:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ask abid at asr he's building a twin turbo for the v-10 and i'm pretty sure he's using a piggy back for it. he should be able to give you the info you need. great guy with a lot of knowledge!

thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
663 Posts

In regards to piggybacks, your are right to a certain degree. It all depends on how you are attenuating the fuel and timing curves though. For the most part a lot of piggybacks adjust mass meter or map functions to attenuate fuel. In an OBDII car it will eventually begin to trim depending if the tuning is done in open or close loop. The system we're planning on using for the TT setup is our ecu we designed for our Porsche customers. Our system attenuates a/f and timing using a different method that does not trim back like most other piggyback setups.

As far as the flash is concerned, if you ever have to go back to the dealer for any major warranty issues you can have it flashed back to stock for a very minimal fee depending on who's flash you decide to go with.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In regards to piggybacks, your are right to a certain degree. It all depends on how you are attenuating the fuel and timing curves though. For the most part a lot of piggybacks adjust mass meter or map functions to attenuate fuel. In an OBDII car it will eventually begin to trim depending if the tuning is done in open or close loop. The system we're planning on using for the TT setup is our ecu we designed for our Porsche customers. Our system attenuates a/f and timing using a different method that does not trim back like most other piggyback setups.

As far as the flash is concerned, if you ever have to go back to the dealer for any major warranty issues you can have it flashed back to stock for a very minimal fee depending on who's flash you decide to go with.

see that's how i have been informed about this whole ecu flash issue. that you could just easily reflash it back to stock. however, according to the master tech at the local bmw stealership, he insist that if bmw really wanted to look for things, they can ALWAYS find out since it is alot more complicated than just being able to flash back or not. i forgot the whole fine details that he went over, but i remember that it all mainly had to do with the fact that DME always logs EVERY single transaction that occurs. whether it be something that goes wrong or even under normal conditions, which then is a feedback that is going to be sent over straight to bmw; which again, it is required by bmw for most major warrenty work...

just quoting what i've been told. plus just concidering the fact that this guy has done some extreme warrenty work for me before, that i can't even imagine happening to my m6, based upon what i've got so far... by all means, he wouldn't exaggerate it for anything out of ordinary. at the end of the day, they get paid phat under the table for every work that i've asked them to do!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts