BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I know the answer to this already, but is there any way or any source for individual Pierburg fuel injection parts? I seem to remember that the official answer when I got my Pierburg DL unit rebuilt was that Pierburg could not be contacted nor individual parts purchased, you were forced to go through Alpina who has only one option - rebuild.

My fuel pressure regulator has developed a leak. I have spares and have dissambled it and found a damaged diaphragm. If I could source a new diaphragm, I could reassemble and be on my way. I do not wish to wait months and spend thousands to send to Alpina for "a full rebuild".

Any assistance or leads appreciated.

Also, as it is a simple diaphragm, any thoughts or leads on material to make my own would also be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Mike,

I believe the situation is as follows:
- Pierburg have stopped making/supporting their old products (possible Pierburg no longer exists?)
- Alpina only have one old mechanic left who knows the Pierburg systems
- I vagually recall rumours that there was a company in Germany who bought all the old Pierburg inventory

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mike,

I believe the situation is as follows:
- Pierburg have stopped making/supporting their old products (possible Pierburg no longer exists?)
- Alpina only have one old mechanic left who knows the Pierburg systems
- I vagually recall rumours that there was a company in Germany who bought all the old Pierburg inventory

Not exactly true on point 1.
Mike will recall that I had a similar problem to my regulator, back one year ago. I was ensured by Pierburg (they re-opened with a new owner) that they would rebuild my regulator. I worked it out through Alpina Belgium and Alpina Buchloe, and after about 2 months, I got the piece rebuilt and repainted as new, for a billl of approx 600€.
I had also issues with the main injection system, which was also sent over and rebuilt by Pierburg, whereas new injectors were made and calibrated by Bosch. The bills amounted to about 1600 € for the injection system, and 800 € for the new injectors +new wires.
I forgot about the cost, only the pleasure of a very well tuned engine remains (the engine now revs up to 6000 rpm like never before).

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Not exactly true on point 1.
Mike will recall that I had a similar problem to my regulator, back one year ago. I was ensured by Pierburg (they re-opened with a new owner) that they would rebuild my regulator. I worked it out through Alpina Belgium and Alpina Buchloe, and after about 2 months, I got the piece rebuilt and repainted as new, for a billl of approx 600€.
You're right - Pierburg is re-opened: Kolbenschmidt Pierburg AG - Pierburg
I've spent some time just now digging and noone seems to have a contact at Pierburg.
Also, there seem to be no sources at all for spare parts - not even grey market.

If Alpina still has a contact then I guess that's the only way to try for spares.

The recurring advice from all the German owners is to ditch the Pierburg and to upgrade to the Motronic of the later B7 Turbos.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The recurring advice from all the German owners is to ditch the Pierburg and to upgrade to the Motronic of the later B7 Turbos
True Kees but this is for sure the very last option I would go for. Really if my car does not run anymore and others options have been exhausted. Reading Sherlock's comments on this, I see that he tried the Pierburg + Alpina way and has been totally sucessful :applause:

Agree the way he followed was the long / tough / expensive one, but his car still is 100% original :prof: and the pleasure to drive it as well :king3:

I'm sure you will subscribe to my point of view :byebye:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amen, Yannick! Ditching the Pierburg/etc will be a last resort, hopefully many years down the road (although I'm already figuring out how I could do it and still have the engine look stock - if I machine out my spare Pierburg unit and mount an MAF in there.....).

I think I've found my diaphragm material source. Should arrive by the end of the week. I should have enough to rebuild every regelventil out there worldwide. Plus, with the knowledge I've gained from disassembling/measuring/experimenting with the Pierburg spares I was able to pick up, I'm increasingly confident in my abilities to setup/adjust the things, too.

I'll post back here with any new successes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sherlock: good to hear from you. I have meant to contact you ever since you posted about your success getting your car running and back home again. All is still working well?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! (So far - I'm always cautious).

Below are pics of the fuel pressure regulator (aka warm-up regulator and boost enrichment regulator). Assembled, exploded, and the offending diaphragms.

You can see one of the new reinforced nitrile ones I've cut, and the three originals. Note that they are no longer flat. The deformed anular ring on each diaphragm where it was under fuel pressure is a permanent and rock hard.

It's a wonder it worked at all. I'm betting this will turn out to be the source of my slight, untraceable underhood fuel smell. They were probably weeping for a long time before finally letting go. It was only a matter of time.

So far so good. No leaks, and pressures all set right back to spec.

Attachments

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pierburg overhauled

I just hap end to look into to the Alpina forum and found your problem with the Pierburg system. I have just now finished a complete rebuild of my engine and my DL system was overhauled by Alpina. In fact it was not done by Alpina itself but more likely someone else outside the Alpina facilities, as far as I understood by Mr. Kratzer. I got it back last week after 1 and a half month with them and a hefty bill of 2.700 Euros. (The most expensive part of my hole rebuild.) The job done was very good, the hole system is perfectly tuned. The engine responds super fast when giving gas and the plugs shows a correct mixture having the right colours.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
... and the winner is.... What I have learned from all those posts is that nobody should be afraid of the "old" Pierburg DL system as it seems quite clear that a repair of such a system is nothing special at Alpina (or sub-contractors).

Anyway, today nobody should be afraid about buying any of the early generation B7 Turbo cars... right ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mmm, maybe wrong. There is almost no parts/technical support. I am very happy (and a little jealous) that Fred's car is working well, but I also paid to have my DL unit rebuilt. On inspection I found (and so would Fred if he opened his unit up) that not one single part was replaced. Worn fuel cams, 30 year old rubber and plastic, all untouched for the $2500 price tag, because none of the parts are available. I was left to repair/machine my own new parts as they fail.

And my most recent example: When my freshly rebuilt DL unit began sticking, sending the fuel pressure up to over 100psi/7 bar (spec is 72.5-85.5psi/5.0-5.9 bar) Alpina responded that this was fine. This is tech support? 20% extra fuel pressure on a CIS system is not fine.

It's a simple mechanical system, and so to that extent is reasonably maintainable and rebuildable. For another example, DJ here found an electrician in Florida that was able to diagnose and repair his Hartig ignition controls. But if one thinks you can just take it to a mechanic or throw money at parts for it, you're likely out of luck. Look at Sherlock's case. He's in Europe, presumably close enough to Alpina and such technical and mechanical resources, and has sufficient financial resources to throw at it, and yet look at his 1.5 year struggle that still ended with him finishing it himself.

Yannick, didn't you post pictures of a rare racing csl engine with old mechanical injection? I think you need the kind of resources that were able to repair/rebuild that system.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fredfaxon - So what was the solution to your ignition problem that we were emailing about back in April? Very glad to hear your are up and running!

·
Registered
242 Posts
:sad2: Ok, I maybe have been too optimistic :sad2:

Yannick, didn't you post pictures of a rare racing csl engine with old mechanical injection? I think you need the kind of resources that were able to repair/rebuild that system
You're right, the engine is the engine of my Alpina CSL race car. When the point to test the engine will be reached, I'll let you know if the resources I am counting on are the right resources... or if I will have to face SERIOUS problems to find the correct set up...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:sad2: Ok, I maybe have been too optimistic :sad2:
And I am maybe being too harsh, but it's been very frustrating sometimes!

I look forward to hearing more about the CSL race project as it progresses. I will keep my fingers crossed that those resources prove up to the challenge!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Call each of us masochists... but it's such a pleasure when it runs well !
Mike, I'm now struggling with the renewal of the B7's suspensions (broken springs ! ). Original springs do not seem to be available anymore, for early B7's.... Alpina provided with a special serie number of a stock BMW early 6 serie (called "red code") . They say it should work. It will be installed on thursday and Friday this week. I ordered new dampers (still available) and new busches as well, to have all suspensions fixed at once. I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi Sherlock. I went through some of this recently, too. Alpina had provided new springs for a previous owner, but as the rears were unavailable, they provided a substitute. We worked backward and figured out that the substitute springs were really for an E32 750iL!!! Bad idea, and not a good match for the dampers! KSK actually had a pair of the NLA correct rear springs in their garage that they were kind enough to send out to me.

Did you get new dampers from Alpina? I hope they are correct. I would have recommended having the originals rebuilt by Bilstein to ensure that the correct dampers are in there. I know Bilstein has stopped making some of the rear dampers and, again, are offering a substitute that is not as good. Again, just be sure Alpina is really sending you the correct replacements and not just "the nearest substitute" they currently have available.

And certainly please don't just let the garage throw out the old ones. If they are the correct Alpina units, they are worth saving and having rebuilt (half price of new Bilsteins typically), either for yourself or someone else out there. Actually, I would happily buy them, as my car's previous owner did the same thing and had a garage replace them with new but wrong dampers. I have standard Bilsteins up front now, but would like to find a correct set of Alpina units eventually.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
You're right, the engine is the engine of my Alpina CSL race car. When the point to test the engine will be reached, I'll let you know if the resources I am counting on are the right resources... or if I will have to face SERIOUS problems to find the correct set up...
Is this what you are looking for ??

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe so. And there were some wonderful shots of the engine out of the car, on the stand in the shop.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts