BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I had the Origin Blue 2 speed trap detector fitted as well as the LE30 laser diffuser (jammer).

Here is the OB2 unit mounted on the dash; note the green LE30 LED discreetly fitted at the base of the pillar:

LE30 control switch goes here:

GPS antenna for OB2 tucked into the corner of the rear parcel shelf:

Overall a very neat install and the best possible positions for all the equipment. I did not put the OB2 on the dash because (i) I have the HUD so a second speed 'in-sight' reading would be annoying (ii) the dash is angled on the E60 unlike on the E39 so it would not sit level (iii) it does not interfere with the flow of the dash and all the cables are hidden.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The LE30 head unit goes into a custom cut-out in the airdam mesh (under the front license plate). I will post these pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very interesting.
In another thread you said you travel a lot around Europe, that's why you got a LHD.
What is your experience with the laser jammers in European countries other than UK?
Look forward to see pictures of the sensors mounted

Malex

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Yes it works in Sweden if you talk about the Lidatek. I dont know the Origin, but I know member cidair have a similar camera warning device.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided against cutting a hole in the air dam mesh for the LE30.

Instead, once the set up was tested thoroughly, I decided to have it mounted behind the left side kidney grille.

Here you can see the head unit mounted and cable running behind the grille:

Here is a side view showing the head unit in position:

I am delighted with this installation :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JohnH said:
Ashok, Who installed it for you?
Mike (owner) and Danny from Driver Systems in Surrey - not far from you then John. They were originally recommended to me by David the technical manager at Origin in Fulham. Feel free to give my name as a referral - Mike's contact number is (07836) 577577.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Mike (owner) and Danny from Driver Systems in Surrey - not far from you then John. They were originally recommended to me by David the technical manager at Origin in Fulham. Feel free to give my name as a referral - Mike's contact number is (07836) 577577.
Ashok

Did you consider the Blinder as it seems to get a good write up on some forums?

Did you get a rear detector/transmittor for the LE-30 for your new car and if not is there a good reason in the uk to have one or not??

I am thinking about a similar set up as you so very interesting to see the pics but if you have any more info on the reasons for your choice I would be only too glad to read the post.

:15:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shimmy said:
Ashok

Did you consider the Blinder as it seems to get a good write up on some forums?

Did you get a rear detector/transmittor for the LE-30 for your new car and if not is there a good reason in the uk to have one or not??

I am thinking about a similar set up as you so very interesting to see the pics but if you have any more info on the reasons for your choice I would be only too glad to read the post.

:15:
I didn't really look at the Blinder. I had a LRC100 on my E39 and had no complaints so was happy to upgrade to the LE30 for my E60. I considered a rear laser head for the Lidatek but decided against it as probably 99% of laser traps in the UK aim at the front of the car not the rear. There have been a few instances of rear detection but these have been limited to slip roads in Wales that I have no intention of passing.

I chose Lidatek based on my previous experience witht the LRC100 and their reputation for having a technically superior product. The OB2 is my favourite GPS unit and I simply had it relocated from my E39 to the new car; as you can see it's a lot less bulky than the Road Angel so mounts very neatly on the dash.

·
Registered
773 Posts
This might be off topic, but I looked up the Origin Blue 2 speed trap detector on the web and the information I found is that it uses GPS to determine speed trap locations. Do the police in England publish a list of where the speed traps are located?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I didn't really look at the Blinder. I had a LRC100 on my E39 and had no complaints so was happy to upgrade to the LE30 for my E60. I considered a rear laser head for the Lidatek but decided against it as probably 99% of laser traps in the UK aim at the front of the car not the rear. There have been a few instances of rear detection but these have been limited to slip roads in Wales that I have no intention of passing.

I chose Lidatek based on my previous experience witht the LRC100 and their reputation for having a technically superior product. The OB2 is my favourite GPS unit and I simply had it relocated from my E39 to the new car; as you can see it's a lot less bulky than the Road Angel so mounts very neatly on the dash.
Thanks. Will read up on both again and make a decision soon.

Another good reason not to go to Wales! as if there weren't enough anyway (prepare myself for the onslaught of messages)

ouich

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gh342000 said:
This might be off topic, but I looked up the Origin Blue 2 speed trap detector on the web and the information I found is that it uses GPS to determine speed trap locations. Do the police in England publish a list of where the speed traps are located?
You are correct. The unit works but knowing it's GPS location, speed, direction of travel etc. and comparing this continually to a database of camera locations in it's memory. The on-board database needs to be regularly updated (I do mine every ten days or so) and it is very accurate and comprehensive.

Speed trap locations are public information and cannot be concealed by the authorities. There are numerous sources where one can get to know all the locations; for example here:

http://www.abd.org.uk/cameras/map.htm

·
Registered
773 Posts
I wish they did that here in the US. Here the police sit on their motorcycles behind bushes on the side of the road.

Ashok Arora said:
You are correct. The unit works but knowing it's GPS location, speed, direction of travel etc. and comparing this continually to a database of camera locations in it's memory. The on-board database needs to be regularly updated (I do mine every ten days or so) and it is very accurate and comprehensive.

Speed trap locations are public information and cannot be concealed by the authorities. There are numerous sources where one can get to know all the locations; for example here:

http://www.abd.org.uk/cameras/map.htm

·
Registered
212 Posts
gh342000 said:
I wish they did that here in the US. Here the police sit on their motorcycles behind bushes on the side of the road.
Same in the UK. The police do set up speed traps on bridges and use hte VASCAR in their 'cruisers' to catch speeders as well as just measuring time/disctance from a slip road and by following.

Only difference seems to be is that when councils and private companies emplolyed by them use traps they generally publish them even saying each day in some counties where the traps will be. MAybe to do with them being able to keep the revenue from sites that have warnings. Maybe not.

The police hear now in the uk have tighter quotas on speeding and on my 'M' day a couple of years ago the head of Kent poilce took us for a 1 hour drive and explained how generally the police will only book you 85 or 90 mph+ on motorways unless you are unlucky and their quota needs filling either at the end of a week or month. He said they generally dont like this quota system and would rather use the 'dangerous driving' method of booking speeders which leaves them some tollerance (and lets them eat donuts all day)

:byee55amg :byee55amg :byee55amg :byee55amg :byee55amg :byee55amg :byee55amg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts