BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Nice car. Question: why change the wheels?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why change the wheels? I just like to be a little different. I like the stock rims a lot but since I was doing the whole car dinan, I decided to go with Dinan rims. Also, I now have 285's in rears and 275's in the front.

·
Registered
187 Posts
a couple of questions for Fred. How would you describe the change in handling and ride comfort? Are just the outside of the rims polished? Did Dinan buy your old wheels, if so, how much did he pay?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The only reason I asked is that unlike my M5 you car actually came with nice wheels. Also, M5 wheels are forged right? Most aftermarket wheels are cast unless you pay huge dollars. However, you got some serious steamrollers there. Don't even want to look at what a 285 costs.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Actually, checked Dinan's website. Your wheels are forged. Also, look much easier to clean than the stock ones.

·
Registered
417 Posts
fredcourtot,

I'm planning on adding a sub to my M5 and had some questions:
What kind of subwoofer and amp do you have, and how does it sound? Where did you get that fitted enclosure for the sub? (I assume that is what that last picture is of) Also, where did you get that custom shelf the amp sits on?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
The car looks great. My Titanium is due in the port 7/28. I thing I will use one of the pics for wallpaper.

------------------
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUESTIONS ANSWERED:

IS MY CAR THE PROTOTYPE: YES. The suspension I have is the suspension with stage 3, with cambers etc.. They might not have them ready as they are having the retail parts produced. Once you get them you will notice a great difference. The ride is definetly more aggressive and I feel a lot safer in it especially when driving hard.

DINAN SOFTWARE MAKE ANY CHANGES:
Honestly I cannot tell. A lot of others will tell you the same thing. The only thing that I can prove and did was the speed limiter removal. That did work as I took my car to 180mph. The revs did go up by a couple hundred rmps as well.

WHEELS: I don't know if they are forged? Don't know exaclty what that entails. From what they told me and what I saw these are 3 piece rims. The outer shell is polished and the center is clear anodized. That usually doesn't come that way, that I chose to have done. The wheel therefore looks like a 2 piece but is actually a 3 piece.

MY OLD RIMS: I sold them to a 540 owner for $2000. I have seen other sell them for $2400. I think $2000 is a great deal. You can get them too at www.bekkers.com

STEREO:
The stereo I had done at precision car stereo. http://www.precisioncarstereo.com ask for simon and ask him what he did to the M5. I forget exactly all the components. When all said and done, box, sub, amp, mounting bracket = $2200

Thanks for all the questions. I will try to post more detailed information on my site when I have time.

Fred

·
Registered
219 Posts
I believe the Dinan wheels are made by Fikse.
They are very high quality forged modular wheels. The typical exposed bolts of a modular wheel are hidden because they face the inside of the wheel. I have similar Fikse rims on my (cough) Lexus LS 400. (M5 is just weeks away!) Looking forward to hearing more about your Dinan mods.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I knew I had seen those wheels somewhere! My friend has a '84 Camaro Iroc-Z which looks like it just came off the showroom floor. It is modified for SCCA solo2 racing, and has those Fikse wheels on it...and damn they are expensive! He spent $4k for the set...he said they are worth every penney for racing purposes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts