·
Registered
649 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The main thing is to have a complete wheel & tire set separate from your summer set. Do not attempt to mount/dismount different tires on the same rims at different times of the year.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The main thing is to have a complete wheel & tire set separate from your summer set. Do not attempt to mount/dismount different tires on the same rims at different times of the year.

Just wondering what is the reason for not switching from snows to peformance tires. All my cars except the M5 (put it away for the winter, gallons of tears) have dedicated snow tires since I have a lift in my garage that makes it cheaper than switching every fall.

·
Registered
649 Posts
yes agreed seperate winter and summer rims with tires....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why?

I used to have an Audi S3 a long time ago and did this several times. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Why?

I used to have an Audi S3 a long time ago and did this several times. Never had any problems.
I think and I could be wrong, todays low profile tires are usually in some way compromised when dismounted more then once.??????

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think and I could be wrong, todays low profile tires are usually in some way compromised when dismounted more then once.??????

Absolute rubbish. Maybe Ashokashora can shed some light on his original statement by now.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More than one tire fitter advised me not to keep mounting/remounting the same tires. I took their word for it. It's a lot easier just switching rims then having to mount & demount two sets of tires twice a year. Finally the OEM winters are 18" and the OEM summers are 19" (same goes for my Alpina as well) and I am keen to keep things stock to avoid any potential warranty or resale issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems easier to have a second set of wheels in the garage and swap them out vs. taking the extra tires to a tire store to have them changed twice a year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a completely separate set of winter tires + wheels. I keep my summers on as long as possible... then when I see the forecast says snow is coming - I spend 20 minutes and put on the winter setup. Done - no hassle of driving to and waiting for a shop :)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The bead can break

It happened on one tire when I dismounted the 18s I had on my 335xi. The bead itself ripped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got mine at Tirerack.com. The price was decent and since I bought wheels and tires at the same time they arrived at my house ready to slap on the car. The experience was good overall, had a couple bumps and misqueue's, but they were very professional and helpful. I'd recommend them. Also, I didn't have to leave my house to go to the tire store, nor have my wife drive our SUV full of tires and wheels to meet me at the tire store - that was a win.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts