BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
April 10th dawned partially overcast. Despite the weather forecast calling for a 30-50% chance of rain, Stacey(STamulinas) and I decided to take our chances and proceed with our first drive of the 2005 season.

A quick breakfast at the BK in Owatonna.

The beasts waiting to be set loose.

Topping off with 93 octane at the BP in Owatonna.

A very nice, high speed sweeper on Wabasha 11 descending down to the village of Hammond, nestled in the Zumbro River Gorge.

Along the Zumbro River.

Approaching Milville on the Zumbro River, still without encoutering any traffic!

Beautiful verdigris double-span bridge across the Zumbro River, Milville.

The pain of 20 mph in a no-passing zone that seemed endless.

A beast in the rearview.

View South of the Whitewater State Wildlife Management Area.

Bridge crossing the Whitewater River, approaching the village of Elba.

A wonderful and idyllic road in the Whitewater State Wildlife Management Area.

Stacey putting the hammer down.

Endless curves and elevation changes.

Almost airborne!

An unusual and anachronistic Victorian structure at the top of the coulee. Note boarded up doors and windows.

A superbly paved stretch of road ascending the bluffs outside of Elba.

Still no traffic.

Tough corner.

A truly glorious day of driving!

Thanks again to Justin for editing and hosting the pics...we missed you out there!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wonderful writeup! You guys are so lucky to have such wonderful (empty) roads out there. I need to find a stretch for myself...

Looks like you had tons of fun. Nothing like sightseeing in a fine, FAST car..

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Excellent pics Al. What fantastic roads you have to explore. :cheers:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Very nice..... everyone now, let the drives begin :M5launch:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Al:

Thanks for a memorable driving experience.:M5thumbs: It was truely amazing
how few cars we met or passed. The roads were deserted! :M5launch:
I'm still not sure if it was because it was on a Sunday or the time of
year or we got an early start but it made for some uninhibated
spirited driving!
This might be a good time to point out that the Minnesota monthly
drives are open to any BMW enthusiast or anybody who appreciates
good roads and fine automobiles. It won't hurt if you happen to have
a black M5. Watch this channel for future dates and times.
Best regards,
Stacey

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fantastic pictures! I think I'm being convinced to pull some other people away to go have one of our own! What a beautiful trip out there, I couldn't even think of anywhere close that would have that kind of view...looks like the beasts had a bit of fun after the long winter :M5launch:

time to get going on something for the MD/Va area. :wroom:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Very nice - looks like a great drive :thumbsup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Great shots as usual Al! Sorry I missed out on the day, but I'll be sure to make the next run, that's for sure.

Gentlemen, start your engines, the the driving season is here.

:noSMG: Pierce!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you all for the kind words. :) That was the kind of day I wish I could share with more of my fellow board members.

I still hold out some hope that we can one day somehow pull off a National M5 social/driving event, or at least Regional M5 meets and drives, much in the way that the 8ers and 5ers do.

Anzir: Thanks. You have an open invitation to join us whenever you can get out this way :blink:

Gustav: Thanks, BOSS! I took over 200 pics that day, and I think many of the shots really bear a striking resemblance to Sweden :biggrin:

Wake Champ: I designed them and had them fabricated.

Joe: Thanks, it was a cruise :M5launch:

Fast6: Thanks. Must be nice to be able to attend an event like the Sharkfest in your 645.

Tony: Thanks. I still have not given up on the Upper Midwest M5 Miglia. One of these days when we can coordinate our schedules, and Bill has his baby restored we will make it happen :flag:

Jerry: Thanks. If/when Donnie comes out here to drive with us you should consider coming out as well(he has indicated that he would be interested in driving with us).

MPRESIV: Thanks. Denver is not too far from where we are. Hmmm, perhaps we can have each region host driving/social events and reciprocate. I for one would gladly drive to Colorado to put my beast through her paces at altitude.

Kevin: You have a most beautiful color combination. I saw a Sterling/Caramel M5 in the delivery bay of my dealership when I was still awaiting my car's completion/delivery, and it really looked stunning!

Bren: Thanks. When are you going to fly out here and drive with us?

mr bock: Thank you. Looking forward to pics from the VA/MD group this season.

Stacey: I am glad you and Charmille had fun. Lydia and Ryan had a good time as well. Looks like it will be another Sunday drive in May, but Charmille will miss her quilt shop again.

Sean: Thanks. I spent four good years in DC, so I know there are some great roads in the MD/VA area. :wroom:

Ashok: Thank you. I envy the turn-out that you guys have at each meet, though.

Justin: Thanks. Just let me know what your Final Exam schedule is so that we can be certain to plan our May drive around it.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Al,

Lush pictures showing wonderful, scenic, isolated, curvy roads--I WISH I WERE THERE!

Missed everyone and thanks for posting to show a reason why many us own M5's--THANKS!

Stacey,
I promise I have not forgotten you! I will gather the info tonight and email you! Oh and you and the others should know that you of course are welcome to go to the Chicago event at the end of May if it comes about--I'm trying to get down that way. I know it's a huge distance to go for you all though!

Anita

·
Registered
132 Posts
Looks like a great trip and drive. Please let me know next time you have something planned. I am in Des Moines and would love to partake in the driving festivities over there as the roads here are not the most exciting.

:wroom: :wroom: :wroom:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts