BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Some of you wanted to see my car after Dinan got through with it--so the link below should take you to another thread I responded to and where I posted pictures. I did the Dinan rims, with 275s up front and 285s at the rear, CAI, Air Flow meters, Headers, Exhaust, and Stage 2 suspension. Next up is a BBK and pedal and shift linkage upgrades from Beastpower. Car runs great.

I hope this link takes you there--my pictures haven't hit the gallery yet. I responed to the link below where I posted pictures too. My response is #23 to the link entitled "is it recommeneded to get 19" wheels"

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=478451&postcount=23

·
10,445 Posts
Pics look great Mark. Have you talked to the powerchip people yet?
We need to set up another bay area get together! Our east bay contingent is growing.
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Did you have the Stage V Dinan software installed as part of the Dinan package?
If so, did it raise your idle speed to 950-1000RPM's?

alpineblue said:
Some of you wanted to see my car after Dinan got through with it--so the link below should take you to another thread I responded to and where I posted pictures. I did the Dinan rims, with 275s up front and 285s at the rear, CAI, Air Flow meters, Headers, Exhaust, and Stage 2 suspension. Next up is a BBK and pedal and shift linkage upgrades from Beastpower. Car runs great.

I hope this link takes you there--my pictures haven't hit the gallery yet. I responed to the link below where I posted pictures too. My response is #23 to the link entitled "is it recommeneded to get 19" wheels"

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47458

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mottati said:
Pics look great Mark. Have you talked to the powerchip people yet?
We need to set up another bay area get together! Our east bay contingent is growing.
Mike
I have, and Edge emailed them my data file--I am planning on driving the car to santa monica to let them work with it for the day. they think there is another 10 - 15 hp available. given my rear wheel hp of 330--and accounting for 18% driveline loss--i am only getting 402 gross hp--which is pathetic--vs dinan's claim of 431. so either my car was a dog to begin with--or the dyno results aren't that accurate compared to dinan. while the car feels definitely stronger--i am not making the horsepower dinan claims. of course i have to discount that the CAI and Air Flow meters probably don't add anything--so I have to eliminate up to 10 hp there. Anyway--we do need to hook up with the group again.

·
Banned
386 Posts
Mark, like I said before beautiful car... def your car needs tunning... I think with powerchip you'll be fine. Your car and Mikes are pretty much putting identical numbers... I think with the appropiate tunning you will gain all that lost hp. My 3 series is getting tunning done... I know it gained 30whp just by tunning (FI)... Im sure you will gain ur hp too.
As for the meet... we should def hook up again... we should all wait till you get ur powerchip, me Im getting Technik ECU, and maybe mottati SS headers=)... we could have fun comparing dyno runs... I'll call Mark (2ms) he wants to hook up again too.. he is also getting into mods (I think).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
howler said:
Did you have the Stage V Dinan software installed as part of the Dinan package?
If so, did it raise your idle speed to 950-1000RPM's?
Yes--I have the Stage V software. I believe the idle is in the range you noted.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cali6869 said:
Mark, like I said before beautiful car... def your car needs tunning... I think with powerchip you'll be fine. Your car and Mikes are pretty much putting identical numbers... I think with the appropiate tunning you will gain all that lost hp. My 3 series is getting tunning done... I know it gained 30whp just by tunning (FI)... Im sure you will gain ur hp too.
As for the meet... we should def hook up again... we should all wait till you get ur powerchip, me Im getting Technik ECU, and maybe mottati SS headers=)... we could have fun comparing dyno runs... I'll call Mark (2ms) he wants to hook up again too.. he is also getting into mods (I think).
Powerchip says the factory cars can very in horsepower +/- by 10 to 18 hp. so it is possible i got the full dinan benefit--but started with a car that came from the factory at 15, or so hp, less than the advertised 394 hp. too bad i didn't dyno it first.

·
Banned
386 Posts
alpineblue said:
Powerchip says the factory cars can very in horsepower +/- by 10 to 18 hp. so it is possible i got the full dinan benefit--but started with a car that came from the factory at 15, or so hp, less than the advertised 394 hp. too bad i didn't dyno it first.
I think your car is fine... I just think that Dinan is very conservative with their tunning. Im sure with powerchip you'll pick up the difference.
If you compare your car with Mike, its really similar... i think the only difference is the headers. Also hows your daily driving? Remeber the car adapts to your style of driving... so if you dont push your car hard, then dont expect much.
(but, I think I heard you drive before.... at edge... and you drove the car like you just stoled it... oh well).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
cali6869 said:
I think your car is fine... I just think that Dinan is very conservative with their tunning. Im sure with powerchip you'll pick up the difference.
If you compare your car with Mike, its really similar... i think the only difference is the headers. Also hows your daily driving? Remeber the car adapts to your style of driving... so if you dont push your car hard, then dont expect much.
(but, I think I heard you drive before.... at edge... and you drove the car like you just stoled it... oh well).
i basically cruise in the car--don't push it as far as hard starts or tracking goes. sometimes i get on it, i don't constantly run it to redline through the gears. perhaps once powerchip works on it and can run it a little harder to create the adaptation for more power. didn't know these cars adapted to driving style.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
alpineblue said:
i basically cruise in the car--don't push it as far as hard starts or tracking goes. sometimes i get on it, i don't constantly run it to redline through the gears. perhaps once powerchip works on it and can run it a little harder to create the adaptation for more power. didn't know these cars adapted to driving style.
All that time and money and you just putt around in the car? The harder you drive them, the more they like it. They are built to last. I take all my BMWs to the engine and road adhesion limits. That is all part of the fun. Enjoy your awesome S2 in whatever capacity you like. Its a beautiful machine. :cheers:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Chuckc said:
All that time and money and you just putt around in the car? The harder you drive them, the more they like it. They are built to last. I take all my BMWs to the engine and road adhesion limits. That is all part of the fun. Enjoy your awesome S2 in whatever capacity you like. Its a beautiful machine. :cheers:
thanks for the comments! do these cars have the connecting rod problems like the M3s? no--i don't pound my car--still looks and smells brand new--i usually only kick it when i get an empty stretch of winding road or freeway ahead of me. also, because it has the rare alpine white exterior and blue interior, if i put this in a wall there is no finding another one. but i love the car.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
alpineblue said:
do these cars have the connecting rod problems like the M3s?
No, not at all. Completely different design.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
alpineblue said:
thanks for the comments! do these cars have the connecting rod problems like the M3s? no--i don't pound my car--still looks and smells brand new--i usually only kick it when i get an empty stretch of winding road or freeway ahead of me. also, because it has the rare alpine white exterior and blue interior, if i put this in a wall there is no finding another one. but i love the car.
:M5launch: Glad to hear you do push the car at the proper times. It pays to be cautious. :cheers: :M5launch:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts