BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are pics of the Dinan 4 wheel BBK installed on my beast. :7:

First report on the performance of the system:

1) Definately softer pedal feel. I believe this is because the net piston area is larger than OEM. Dave Z. please comment.
2) They definately stop better. I need to learn to not have anything loose in the car (cabin AND trunk). I did a few threshold stops from about 80...my brief case nearly ended up in the front seat with me AND my glass slid off my face. :eek:

I will post pics of the install once the dealer emails them to me.

Jeff cherrsagai

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Great red calipers against the Dinan wheels.
I'm having the Black Dinan F/R brakes installed in mid November.
Do you have any experience with any other aftermarket brakes systems?
I am curious to how they compare to stock Brembo or StopTech systems.

x703jko said:

1) Definately softer pedal feel. I believe this is because the net piston area is larger than OEM. Dave Z. please comment.
2) They definately stop better. I need to learn to not have anything loose in the car (cabin AND trunk). I did a few threshold stops from about 80...my brief case nearly ended up in the front seat with me AND my glass slid off my face. :eek:

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
howler said:
Do you have any experience with any other aftermarket brakes systems?
I am curious to how they compare to stock Brembo or StopTech systems.
No I don't. Others here do though and I am sure they'll comment.

Our best bet is to get feedback from Dave Z.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just a guess here but the softer pedal feel is indicative of the need for a larger m/c to handle the larger volume of fluid and piston displacement in the calipers.

When I replaced the brakes on my Carrera with Big Reds I needed to upgrade to a larger m/c in order to bring pedal feel back...this was easy as I used a turbo m/c - not sure what you would do in this case...not sure why Dinan wouldn't have a fix for this.

Could also be air still in the system - might try a re-bleed have some pedal pushing.

-Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nolift911 said:
Could also be air still in the system - might try a re-bleed have some pedal pushing.

-Jeff
[email protected]
Doesn't feel like there's air in the brake lines (trust me, I know what that feels like). Besides, they bled the system twice during the bed-in procedure.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
x703jko said:

That has been my experience too. I went from the Mov'it system to the Brembo system and immediately noticed the softer pedal travel. Brembo suggested I try a more aggressive pad and I swapped the Hawk HPS pads out for some Pagid Blue RS421 pads. The pedal feel improved a bit, but is still a bit soft for my liking. The good news is that the Brembo brakes do tend to get firmer over a period of about a week. I don't know why - perhaps it has to do with the interaction of the zinc plating with the pads. Whatever the reason, the pedal feel will improve slightly over the first week.

The StopTech 4-wheel kit has a much firmer pedal feel right off the bat. I really love my Brembos until I drive an M5 with the 4-wheel StopTechs. Then it takes me a couple days to start liking my brakes again!

This is very platform specific. For example, the E46 M3 has a nice, firm pedal feel with either Brembo or StopTech. But the difference on the E39 platform is dramatic. Part of it is the lower Cf Hawk HPS pads on the Brembo kit, vs the Axxis Ultimate on the StopTech kit. But a big part is the difference in caliper piston bore.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
DZeckhausen said:
That has been my experience too. I went from the Mov'it system to the Brembo system and immediately noticed the softer pedal travel. Brembo suggested I try a more aggressive pad and I swapped the Hawk HPS pads out for some Pagid Blue RS421 pads. The pedal feel improved a bit, but is still a bit soft for my liking. The good news is that the Brembo brakes do tend to get firmer over a period of about a week. I don't know why - perhaps it has to do with the interaction of the zinc plating with the pads. Whatever the reason, the pedal feel will improve slightly over the first week.

The StopTech 4-wheel kit has a much firmer pedal feel right off the bat. I really love my Brembos until I drive an M5 with the 4-wheel StopTechs. Then it takes me a couple days to start liking my brakes again!

This is very platform specific. For example, the E46 M3 has a nice, firm pedal feel with either Brembo or StopTech. But the difference on the E39 platform is dramatic. Part of it is the lower Cf Hawk HPS pads on the Brembo kit, vs the Axxis Ultimate on the StopTech kit. But a big part is the difference in caliper piston bore.
Dave. Thanks for the information. I will monitor the feel of the pedal over the next week or so and report what I find.

Jeff

B

·
0 Posts
Looks great. Here are some photos of my Brembos with cross-drilled rotors and the Dinan wheels. Just for comparison:

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Did you have to use 3mm spacers and longer lug nut bolts when they installed the Dinan BBK?
Thanks

x703jko said:

Jeff cherrsagai

B

·
0 Posts
howler said:
Did you have to use 3mm spacers and longer lug nut bolts when they installed the Dinan BBK?
Thanks
Spacers and therefore longer bolts are not required when installing the Brembo/Dinan BBK with Dinan Lightweight wheels.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Daniel:
Are the spacers / longer bolts required if you use with stock rims?
THanks,
Bob
P.S. What happened to your Dinan rim caps?
BeastPower said:
Spacers and therefore longer bolts are not required when installing the Brembo/Dinan BBK with Dinan Lightweight wheels.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
howler said:
Thanks
With Dinan wheels, no spacer is required.

With BMW OEM M5 wheels a 3 mm spacer is required.

Regarding lugbolts, interestingly enough I swapped the sh$tty lugbolts that the Radial Tire used when they put PS2s on my wheels with nicer looking ones from Bekkers and they were too long. So I'm back to the ugly bolts I have on them now.

I think with the Dinan wheels, shoulder in recess for the bolts is deeper, hence the interference.

cherrsagai
Jeff

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BeastPower said:
Looks great...Cheers, Daniel.
Thanks Daniel. I've always admired the way your ride looks. Awesome. Jeff :cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
howler said:
Daniel:
Are the spacers / longer bolts required if you use with stock rims?
THanks,
Bob
P.S. What happened to your Dinan rim caps?
As Jeff already mentioned. 3mm front and back for Brembo/Dinan brakes with the stock wheels.

The wheel caps are off, as I used to prefer the de-badged look. I will soon be putting them back on, but will first either have them poliished to match the Dinan wheel lip, or will have them painted in red to match the Brembo calipers.

Cheers, Daniel.

B

·
0 Posts
x703jko said:
Thanks Daniel. I've always admired the way your ride looks. Awesome. Jeff :cheers:
Thanks! With all the modifications you have been adding recently, I will soon be in catch-up mode. ;)

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More Pics of Dinan BBK On My Ride

Here are more pics of the Dinan BBK on my ride.

Some driving observations:

1) The car definately stops better.
2) But the pedal still feels on the soft side. I'm going to re-bleed one more time.
3) I'm starting to feel some mild brake judder. It comes and goes. I am also feeling a mild vibration even while I am off the brakes. Dave Z...any ideas?

Jeff cherrsagai

Attachments

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Re: More Pics of Dinan BBK On My Ride

x703jko said:
I'm starting to feel some mild brake judder. It comes and goes. I am also feeling a mild vibration even while I am off the brakes. Dave Z...any ideas?
Have you done an agressive bedding session yet? See: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm for details. That might address the judder problem. Sometimes brand new slotted rotors will make a rhythmic thumping when the brakes are applied firmly, but this goes away after a day or two when the machined edges of the slots are worn smooth.

As for the mild vibration when you are off the brakes, did any other modifications get installed at the same time? For example, are the Dinan wheels new? I recall MIB having a problem with one of his Dinan wheels not being hubcentric. The wheel centerbore was too large. That could be the case here. Or, a tire could be out of balance. You could try swapping wheels/tires front to back if they aren't staggered.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

DZeckhausen said:
Have you done an agressive bedding session yet? See: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm for details. That might address the judder problem. Sometimes brand new slotted rotors will make a rhythmic thumping when the brakes are applied firmly, but this goes away after a day or two when the machined edges of the slots are worn smooth.

As for the mild vibration when you are off the brakes, did any other modifications get installed at the same time? For example, are the Dinan wheels new? I recall MIB having a problem with one of his Dinan wheels not being hubcentric. The wheel centerbore was too large. That could be the case here. Or, a tire could be out of balance. You could try swapping wheels/tires front to back if they aren't staggered.
Dave. Many thanks for the advice. I'll do another bedding-in session after I bleed.

No...no other changes to the car when I did the BBK (aside from installing my LE30s and Stealth One).

One point of note, my rear PS2s were worn down to th wear bars (after only 17000 miles...PS2's grip like mad but they suck when it comes to tread wear). I replaced them today with Pilot Sport All Seasons and I did notice that the brake off vibration was gone. But the judder is still there.

I'll let you know tomorrow evening.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Banned
44 Posts

x703jko said:
One point of note, my rear PS2s were worn down to th wear bars (after only 17000 miles...PS2's grip like mad but they suck when it comes to tread wear). I replaced them today with Pilot Sport All Seasons and I did notice that the brake off vibration was gone. But the judder is still there.
You spend all this money on brakes to improve your car's performance, then go with All Season tires?!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts