1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford new 5.0

BMW S62

Both are 400hp 5.0 v8's :thumbup:

So.... transmission well ford put a Getrag 6 speed in their new mustang.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can't remember where I read it (I think C&D), but at the time the engine was released the coyote 5.0 had the highest flow production heads on the planet. Pretty impressive!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Interesting stuff, from a domestic standpoint I am a Ford guy at heart. (Used to be a Ford certified mechanic)

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
That 5.0 is one heck of an engine. Im glad you guys can respect that, on another bmw forum I frequent - they were actually claiming the M62 (286hp lol) was better than the new Ford 5.0

IMO the 5.0 is on par with the S62 - I wouldnt say its "better" just because its lacking some technology I like (such as the ITBs, I prefer N/A to the capability of F/I) and because it took awhile to produce. But because they can produce it so cheap and its such a powerful engine does speak volumes for Ford engineering.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another way to look at it, is that it has taken the muscle car manufacturers how long to get 400bhp from 5.0 litres.
Our S62s are a decade old! And they're still one of the best performing smaller-displacement V8s around!

You guys have all the fun over there in the States.
Anybody feel like arranging a Green Card for a fellow M5 driver :-D

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's a respectable milestone for Ford, but keep in mind that they have engineered previous motors with similar specs, but they never made it into mass production. There was an interesting thread about this a few months back here.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That 5.0 is one heck of an engine. Im glad you guys can respect that, on another bmw forum I frequent - they were actually claiming the M62 (286hp lol) was better than the new Ford 5.0

IMO the 5.0 is on par with the S62 - I wouldnt say its "better" just because its lacking some technology I like (such as the ITBs, I prefer N/A to the capability of F/I) and because it took awhile to produce. But because they can produce it so cheap and its such a powerful engine does speak volumes for Ford engineering.
It did take quite a while to for Ford to come to their senses that an engine such as this was needed, but the R&D and final production of this engine was very swift

2011 Mustang GT Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords

·
Registered
637 Posts
Another way to look at it, is that it has taken the muscle car manufacturers how long to get 400bhp from 5.0 litres.
Our S62s are a decade old! And they're still one of the best performing smaller-displacement V8s around!

You guys have all the fun over there in the States.
Anybody feel like arranging a Green Card for a fellow M5 driver :-D
I could do that, but you'd have to give me the M5 as a gift :7:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It also lacks forged internals BUT! Look the mileage it gets...

·
Registered
18 Posts
S62 is probably the better.. with better headers then those ****ty OEM exhausts that were manufactured for the 540, it would gain at least 5-10% power if they were replaced.

·
Registered
642 Posts
First off, thanks for posting the pics side by side. What is impressive to me, and mentioned previously in this thread, is that now anyone with $30k and change can enjoy 412hp in a suitable chassis. I keep in mind, the M5 though now 10 years old, was over double that price when new. There is no comparing the interior and quality of the materials between the two and much of the cost differential between the two cars is accounted for right there. But from a drive train standpoint and with it being mass produced, the cost to make it the Ford go Really Fast, will be much less compared to our cars.

It's a nice car and realistically a shame that US cars had to go through such a poor time in the 80's and 90's with quality, power etc. The CTS-V, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang are all great vehicles IMHO.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

The ford engine is better, really they share alot in terms of design intent - alloy 90* 4-cam V8s. The M/S62 is a great engine; but, considering a set of cams, and a ported head and that 5.0 makes easily 500hp at the wheels proves that. That's without FI, which the ford engine is great at handling.

This car was on the dyno at the shop the other day, this is the owners "demo"/backup car: (attached pics at the bottom)

I think it had an off-the-shelf Ford Motorsports SC 4.6l engine (tuning for 89 octane for running in 3rd-world countries <- not a joke).

His competition car (for the 2012 season) was built by ASD and runs an NA 5.0L motor in a carbon-bodied 2011 chassis:

P.S. here's the mustang RTR-X he designed - running an ITB ford 5.0L engine (for those making fun of the 1tb vs. 8tbs)

(inboard suspension)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts