BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to introduce myself, I am picking up a pristine '06 (build date 7/06) Black Sapphire/Black Extended Merino Leather/Aluminum Trim/SMG M5 this Friday. Only has 15k miles, original owner, absolute fanatic (even declined front bumper license plate install). I am also purchasing an AA Auto Warranty to go with it - these guys have great coverage and great prices. I am coming from an E39 M5, to an '08 550i now to this.

Yes pics to come Friday! Hope to contribute and learn on this board...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Interesting to see the decision to go 2008 550i to 2006 M5 (great car, cant wait for photos).
Admittedly I did not search warrantees but what is AA?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Congrats and welcome! You are going to absolutely love it. Post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting to see the decision to go 2008 550i to 2006 M5 (great car, cant wait for photos).
Admittedly I did not search warrantees but what is AA?
Thanks
Decision was partly based on the fact that my 550i was CREAMED by an F150 and totaled. That and the simply sublime exhaust note on the V10...One door closes, another opens - thought it was a great time to get back into an M car.

AA Auto Warranty is a warranty company that doesn't advertise a lot but has some great rates on extended service plans. I nearly fainted when I got my Easy Care quote so I passed on them. With AA's highest coverage plan, you will have SMG covered. Basically everything except wearable parts and Navi (though you can elect for that coverage, but I didn't).

To all others, I will post pics on Friday, I am excited to say the least. Missed my 550i like heck and ONLY wanted to do another 5 series if it was an M... :cheers:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on your user name, you need to learn how to load the trunk :lightbulb:

Ha ha thanks...I love this!!! Everyone be good to me or you'll end up on my table... mmmmmm I am going to print it out and put it in the garage!!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it in my garage as we speak...still working on pictures but it's Sapphire Black over Black Extended Merino leather with Aluminum trim. The SMG is something I've never experienced before - I actually really like it.

Do most of you slightly lift the throttle when shifting through the gears? Or only on fast, hard shifts? I'm getting into the habit of ever so slightly lifting the gas right after I flick the paddle. Sound about right?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes that's right just like you would if you were operating the clutch yourself, only more subtle. You are going to love that SMG!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes that's right just like you would if you were operating the clutch yourself, only more subtle. You are going to love that SMG!
+1

SMG is just awesome. Congrats on your new beast, enjoy it:rally_drive: M5 forever:wroom:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats. Where are the pics?
They are here...by the way, whoever suggested lifting the throttle just after upshifting thank you, this makes the shifts much smoother. I still can't get it to normally shift on S3, the shifts are too slow for me...anyways, here are a few:

·
Registered
38 Posts
sweet ride .....congrats :cheers:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Looks great! Regarding S3, I never use that setting when driving an M5 or M6. S4 or S5 provides the best compromise between smoothness and shift speed.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Nice pics and congrats again. Definitely recommend keeping it in S4 or S5 for smoother shifts. So how many times have you pressed the M button? We'll all be standing by to see when the mod bug bites you i.e. black grills, free flow exhaust, suspension etc. Enjoy it as a proud owner as you now own one of the top cars in the world.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts