BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this Sat I got the car. Here is how it went.
8:00 Left VA to Charlotte
10:00 Left Charlotte for Louisville
12:00 Picked up by the BMW sales associate
12:30 Saw the car for the first time. Hmm, I always read on the boards people referring to the car as a beast-seems to look a little like a nice driving car. Nothing to suggest what I have read on the boards though….
1:00 Road test with sales associate complete. All is good. He walked me through the features etc….All good, seems like a nice car. We got up on the freeway for a bit-seems to merge nicely.
2:00 Paperwork done
2:10 I depart with my son who has this big grin
2:20 We get on the freeway
2:20:15 I now understand why everyone calls it The Beast
2:20:17 110 mph came pretty quick…
For the next 250 miles bad weather made for some miserable driving-but that being said my son read through the user’s manual-set up preferences and so on.
This car works better with a co-pilot.
7:00 Dinner
7:30 Head out and the on ramp is in sight
7:32 I slow down as I am being pulled over-
To the best of my recollection here are the next few minutes of dialog-
Officer-didn’t you see me
Me-I did but thought the stealth technology would kick in and I would disappear (I swear I can see him grin)
Officer-well it didn’t and I had you at 85
Me-Must be something wrong with the HUD- I thought it displayed 67
Officer-Hud?
Me-you know heads up display
Officer??? (puzzled look)
Me-I explain the Heads-up
Officer-Really-but I don’t see it
Me-need to be sitting behind the wheel-care to-
Officer-hang on (he goes back to his car then returns)
Me-I get out and he approaches-I then say-hey can you take off your belt and the gun-could scratch the Merino leather
Officer-No-
Me-then let me drape this towel over the seat
Next few minutes are of me leaning in showing him the car-he starts it-spools it up-this guy is smiling and you can tell he loves cars…
My son joins in and shows him the M mode-explains how 500 hp is available when 400 just won't do
I of course offer to let him drive it and I can tell he is really thinking about it After about ten minutes of chit chatting (he once pulled a Ferrari over at 145, guy was a jerk so he took the car and made some comment about the kind of folks who buy Ferrari's...) he asks me where I am heading-I tell him….we are chatting a bit more………and he then makes me believe in people all over again. He tells me I am approximately 47 miles from the Virginia border-that this is his piece of the road to cover and he is heading the opposite direction and weather permitting-and he pauses-and says this really slow….-weather permitting…… I should enjoy the drive.
Officer-Nice car
Me-Thank you-I start to say something but he is already heading back to his car.
I get in-he is still behind me-
I take off and in no time am at 80-
I see him starting to take off and all of a sudden he pulls a U-Turn and heads out the other way….this is a real guy
I must say-the car purrrrs at 110 (I didn’t push it above that too much)
This is going to be the start of a great relationship.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Great story -- and congrats on the acquisition!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Virginia has some nice roads to stretch out on as well.

·
8,369 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing and congrats on your purchase.

I assure you - you will love your beast.

Just a friendly reminder - LEO are normal human beings like us. Treat them nice and with respect and often times they will give you a break.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
This was a NC state trooper???????????? Amazingly lucky!!! LOL

I once got pulled for passing a trooper at 1 mph over. I kid you not. He stopped and asked me why I would ever consider passing a cop and I said, "because you were driving under the limit". He then says "Actually you were doing a 56 in a 55". I laughed and asked him if he was joking and with a straight face he said, "don't push your luck son". He took my license and gave me a warning. Really to this day I don't understand his problem.

Congrats on the car and a great story!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Very nice story, glad it worked out and love has bloomed! Enjoy the beast!

·
8,369 Posts
1 mile over the speed limit????????????

Give me a freaking break. That is being unreasonable big time.

FYI, a friend of mine here got a ticket for 1 mile over the speed limit.
Make a long story short - the judge dismissed the case.

I once got pulled for passing a trooper at 1 mph over. I kid you not. He stopped and asked me why I would ever consider passing a cop and I said, "because you were driving under the limit". He then says "Actually you were doing a 56 in a 55". I laughed and asked him if he was joking and with a straight face he said, "don't push your luck son". He took my license and gave me a warning. Really to this day I don't understand his problem.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great story. Glad it has a happy ending. Although even if you did get a ticket the ending would still be happy as you have a wonderful car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Interesting to see speeding tickets issued at 1-5 mph.
Got to wonder the error inherant in the measures used.
I guess it doesn't pay to be in a hurry.
A friend told me he had a $216 fine for 4 mph over the limit recently/.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
nice story, great way to start off with the car.
Congrats, it looks great.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Great story. Welcome to the community!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Great story and with a happy ending:biggrin:

Enjoy your new Beast!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Nice story and welcome aboard , enjoy your new ride .

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting to see speeding tickets issued at 1-5 mph.
Got to wonder the error inherant in the measures used.
I guess it doesn't pay to be in a hurry.
A friend told me he had a $216 fine for 4 mph over the limit recently/.
For the last 4 years I have volunteer on the Sheriffs Technical Search and Rescue team, I asked a few LEO friends of mine about the inherent errors in the speed measures and they said everything is calibrated within 2mph. This would be the speedometer on the patrol vehicles as well as the radar guns. When the officers/deputies are tested on visual speed, they have to be accurate within 2mph as well. This is why you rarely hear of speeding tickets being issued for less than 5mph.

·
8,369 Posts
Thanks for the great info James!

For the last 4 years I have volunteer on the Sheriffs Technical Search and Rescue team, I asked a few LEO friends of mine about the inherent errors in the speed measures and they said everything is calibrated within 2mph. This would be the speedometer on the patrol vehicles as well as the radar guns. When the officers/deputies are tested on visual speed, they have to be accurate within 2mph as well. This is why you rarely hear of speeding tickets being issued for less than 5mph.

·
Registered
266 Posts
your son getting to see dad "work the man" has to be one of the greatest experiences you have ever had. impressive job on the work and on the new beast.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

It wasn't the 1 MPH, it was the fact that you passed him.. Passing a LEO is viewed as a sign of disrespect by most of them -- arrogance and disregard. I usually avoid doing it unless they are traveling substantially under the speed limit.

-b.

·
8,369 Posts
Good point.

I never pass LEO. I either slow down and let them go ahead of me or I take a detour, then get back on the freeway again.
I simply dont want them to find a reason to pull me over as I know they are not very forgiving these days as the State needs the income.

Plus, I have no front plate : )

It wasn't the 1 MPH, it was the fact that you passed him.. Passing a LEO is viewed as a sign of disrespect by most of them -- arrogance and disregard. I usually avoid doing it unless they are traveling substantially under the speed limit.

-b.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts