BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Said goodbye to the CSL which I have really enjoyed and picked up my new Le Mans X5 4.8is. Handover went smoothly and nice umbrella, X5 keyfob and telephone holder included. Lovely weather and despite having lots on today managed a brief run in the country which confirmed that I am going to enjoy driving this car.

Here are a few pics. Sorry about the quality!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jos said:
Nice ride, John. How long did you own the CSL?

:cheers:
Had the CSL for about 6 months as a weekend car. I loved it but my wife hated it!! Decided with winter coming on to get something to see me through until the M5 arrives

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice ride man! There is only one thing I dont like about X5, rear side of car...
But this one is fantastic, car color and interior color, they both are absolutely fabulous!
Is it faster than a Cayenne S or Turbo? I forgot numbers...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eldar2k said:
Nice ride man! There is only one thing I dont like about X5, rear side of car...
But this one is fantastic, car color and interior color, they both are absolutely fabulous!
Is it faster than a Cayenne S or Turbo? I forgot numbers...
Definately faster than Cayenne S but on paper slower than Cayenne Turbo. The Turbo is a lot more powerful but also 300Kgs heavier. I found the Turbo a bit dissappointing when I drove it as it didnt feel as sporty as the X5 and certainly didnt sound as nice. Prefer the looks of the X5 4.8 as well. Also Cayenne Turbo to same spec as the X5 4.8is was about 15K pounds more expensive

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Very nice John, I think BMW have done a really nice job on the 4.8is. Love the colour combo. :thumbsup: The interior colour (I think BMW calls is creme Biege)looks great. Is it as light as in the pics, I was just curious as to keeping it clean.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
'ello John gotta new motah!

'ello John gotta new motah!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Nice ride! :cool2:
Would be interested to hear some of your driving impressions thus far.
Cheers,
Kevmmm

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Beautiful,

John did you drive the 4.6is? I would love to know the differences between the 4.8 and the 4.6

all the best
adam

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adam said:
Beautiful,

John did you drive the 4.6is? I would love to know the differences between the 4.8 and the 4.6

all the best
adam
Adam, This is a writeup SteveD did on BM3W as he has owned both. Now he has run it in he reckons the difference is even more!!

1) Panoramic Sunroof - If you're ordering a new X5 and haven't already ticked the box then DO SO NOW! What an excellent piece of kit! My family think I'm a hero for getting an X5 with this as it really adds to the enjoyment of travelling from A to B. There are many functions, you can retract the inner roof lining and open up the 4ft window in the roof which because it's tinted still feels cosy but somehow like having a targa roof. You can press the button upwards and then both panes of glass tilt and provide ventilation. Press the button back (one touch) and the first window opens up, then press it again for the second to retract. You can drive up to 50mph with the whole roof open before the wind buffeting becomes noticeable. With the roof open it feels a bit like a convertible and is really cool...

2) Self-closing boot - need I say more? If you've ever owned an X5 or RR you will really appreciate this.

3) Twin-axle self levelling air suspension - very nice! You can set it on 'gangsta rap' mode and it will stay low until around 30mph then return to this height once at motorway speeds. Hunkered down like this the X5 is only about 6 inches higher than our Mini which is quite a strange feeling. The rest of the modes, normal and off-road are self explantory and just having the choice of ride height seems really worthwhile.

Alright on to the driving experience. First of all to the bad news, I prefer the steering of my 4.6is, which is more meaty and feels more sporting as a consequence. The 4.8is feels more assisted but no less precise and I will probably get used to it, but initially I missed the 4.6is which has the best steering of any BMW in my opinion.

Overall impressions with the 4.8is are of a smoother, more refined car, the new 6-speed gearbox is incredible changing gear so smoothly that it's almost imperceptible. Even in sport mode it's never jerky and you can really appreciate that BMW made an effort to usurp the Cayenne in this respect.

Power wise the 4.8is feels more progressive in it's power delivery and noticeably more torquey, easily quicker than other cars on the road without any effort. The engine feels smoother and the exhaust is even louder than the 4.6is, so whilst it feels smoother BMW have also enhanced certain aspects of the 'iS' models thug appeal.

Initally since I was disappointed with the steering compared to my 4.6is I thought it would be softer in the corners but this is where the air suispension serves up a surprise, whilst initially it feels soft it tightens up in sharper corners and seems to allow no roll whatsoever. It's quicker in tight corners and really improves it's agility. You can also feel x-drive doing it's business especially if you hoon into a bend, lift off and then accelerate out again. It's as if you can have more of a conversation with the chassis than was possible before in the 4.6is. It now feels more like a 4WD car.

Ride quality is on a different league to previous X5s and I'm sure Angus would have a hard time criticising it compared to the Range Rover. Yes it's firmer, but gone is the jiggle and now the 4.8is soaks up bumps and undulations in a way much more familiar to a luxury saloon.

Overall impression of the 4.8is in the first 40 miles are of a more sophisticated drive, smoother and more refined than before. Perhaps slightly less characterful than the 4.6is but probably a more homogenous package as a consequence.

So how does that leave a 4.6is in comparison? If you own a 4.6is then you've probably got the more 'exciting' drive but the 4.8is now feels much more contempory and closer in nature to the Porsche Cayenne. The ride is better, the handling is more composed over poor surfaces, the engine/exhaust sound is even better and there are some new toys to play with.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eldar2k said:
Have you already tried your X5 4.8 on a highway:M5eyes: :M5rev: :M5launch: :wroom: ? Do you know whats the max. speed?
Still running it in until 1200 miles so limited to 4500rpm. Max speed is 153mph

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Thank you for the post john, very interesting indeed,

all the best
adam

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did you get the comfort seats? I ask because my Dad just got a 4.8is and the seats look different? I am not sure if my Dad got the comfort seats.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
hsmith said:
Did you get the comfort seats? I ask because my Dad just got a 4.8is and the seats look different? I am not sure if my Dad got the comfort seats.
I believe those are the sport seats. The comfort seats have 3 panels sewn into the seat cushion and seat back and the side bolsters are a little less pronouced on the comfort seats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Terk said:
I believe those are the sport seats. The comfort seats have 3 panels sewn into the seat cushion and seat back and the side bolsters are a little less pronouced on the comfort seats.
Yes, you are correct, i thought those were the sport seats as the pic shows the side bolsters are more apparent than the comfort seats. Thanks for the response.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts