BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my car back from AI Design today. They installed the Blinder sytem, put on the clear bra and installed the Vizualogic Headrest DVD Players. The also hardwired my warning light for the fire department with a nice little discrete switch by the stem of the rear view mirror.

I must say that, although they are a little pricey, they did a very professional and clean job. When they realized that there was an AUX input in the back, they hardwired the headrest players into the AUX jack (removable of course) as well as hooking up the FM modulator. This gives me much better sound when I want to play the movies through the speakers instead of the headphones.

Pictures attached.

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Very nice.

Two things though,

1. In your 5th picture, it appears that a rubber moulding/gasket above the rearview mirror seems to be out of place. You could see the white colored wiring.

2. It appears, from the pictures, that the leather on the headrest monitors appears to be a different shade from the leather on your seats.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
andrewsherman said:
they did a very professional and clean job.
Sorry Andy, one more thing,

In you 8th picture, were the white scuff marks on the seat backs left by you or AI Design?

(PS: I'm some what anal about the details.)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Nice install, but I do agree with canysmc's observation about the rubber gasket above the rear view. I think the leather coloration may just be the lighting??

Do you have the V1 as well? Where did they put the cutoff for the Blinder?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
andrewsherman said:
The also hardwired my warning light for the fire department with a nice little discrete switch by the stem of the rear view mirror.
If you don't mind explaining, what is this?

·
Registered
696 Posts
canysmc said:
Sorry Andy, one more thing,

In you 8th picture, were the white scuff marks on the seat backs left by you or AI Design?

(PS: I'm some what anal about the details.)
Those of us who have kids will recognize those marks immediately.....they put their small footmarks everywhere...gotta love them

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Looks great:cool: , I'm interested in getting rear dvd installed....

canysmc said:
2. It appears, from the pictures, that the leather on the headrest monitors appears to be a different shade from the leather on your seats.
I went to see a company a while ago and they told me they generally replace the headrests with headrests with the monitors already installed.

As I have an individual interior (amarone) I told them I would be amazed if they could get the headrests in my colour, they then went onto say that they can do it another way and to go and see them, :blabla:

So Im wondering, if they have replaced your headrests, or if they installed it into your existing ones? If it is replaced (the colour could just be the phot/lighting etc) but is the leather the same quality?

Ashok has an install, that looks great also, with caramel interior, be interested in how they did that. "if your reading?";)

The only concern I have is that I believe that one of the headrest posts holds the wires... now I could be wrong on this one.. In an accident, the headrest is fired forward to prevent whiplash etc, if the post was solid and is now hollow, couldn't there be some issues caused with the hollow post, not that I'm planning on having an accident or anything....

But I really do love the idea of having the dvd screens for the rear...:biggrin:

liquido said:
Those of us who have kids will recognize those marks immediately.....they put their small footmarks everywhere...gotta love them
LOL, yes indeed.... I even took a photo of what our 2 year old did in 1 day, foot prints, crumbs, etc, ahhhh. Kids... the reason not to have perforated leather...

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
bmwbonehead said:
I think the leather coloration may just be the lighting??
yeah boner, thought so too, but appears so in all the pictures, seems the headrests are lighter shade then the seats, but then again, may have to see it in person

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
MMMach5 said:
You allow Kids in your beast? That is a lil too much. LOL ;)
yeah, only after they take off their shoes so I don't get those white scuff marks :eek:h:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
ALTANertive said:
If you don't mind explaining, what is this?
perks u get when u the big cheese at the fire house

also, the M5 comes with that too

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
CANYSMC: Good catch on the gasket. If I can't put it back easily, i will bring the car back to them for them to address it. The leather is not a perfect, perfect match. the color is almost identical but the grain is a little less pronounced. If you look closely, you can tell, but from more than a couple of feet away, it blends almost perfectly. One other observation is that the headrests are about 1/4 inch further back than the OEMs. I fixed that but clicking them forward one angle. The nice thing about the Vizualogic system is that it preserves my OEM headrests if I ever want to remove the system. Also, each unit is its own player (but is linked to the other), so it allows my kids to watch different movies or to both watch the same movie - regardless of which player it is in. This cuts down on movie "discussions" nicely.

As for the scuffs, they are courtesy of my 6 year old daughter. Believe it or not, she also manages to do this regularly in my 745Li!

Boner, they mounted the switch under the steering wheel column and the LED on the top rim of the rear view mirror. I like that better than a mount on the dash as it is invisible and an easier reach for a quick reaction.

ALTANertive: This is my blue light for the fire department. I am Captain of the volunteer fire department in my home town. According to NY state law, I am allowed one blue light not to exceed 60 candlepower. Technically, this has 8 bulbs and about 100,000 candlepower (or something like that). We get along VERY well with local law enforcement so this is not really an issue.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
andrewsherman said:
ALTANertive: This is my blue light for the fire department. I am Captain of the volunteer fire department in my home town. According to NY state law, I am allowed one blue light not to exceed 60 candlepower. Technically, this has 8 bulbs and about 100,000 candlepower (or something like that). We get along VERY well with local law enforcement so this is not really an issue.
When I was a kid I wanted to be a firefighter. Thank you for doing what you do. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your appreciation is appreciated. There must be a better way of expressing that sentiment, but "you're wlcome" just doesn't seem right.

I sort of backed into this. Shortly after I moved into my house, there was a fire call on my street and I was quite surprised to discover that the fire department is 100% volunteer. In fact, over 85% of the country (whether measured by square mileage, property value, etc.) is covered by volunteer fire departments.

It seemed to me to be a good way to get involved in my community and give a little something back. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit attracted by the concept of having a blue light in my car.:grinyes:

Anyway, it has become a true passion of mine. In truth, I get a lot more out of it than I give. I have become very intergrated into my village now and I have made some tremendous friendships. If anybody out there is considering this, I cannot tell you how much I recommend it!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you ever around the New Rochelle Area, let me know...I go to school at Iona. I know there are several M5's and M6's in this area. When I go up to them and ask if they are on here, they are snobby and say "No Kid!". Sorry, I was just trying to say hello hahah

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in Hastings, so it is about a 15 run to NR. Are you there on the weekends at all?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I will be around this weekend, since it is homecoming.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I should be around Saturday. PM me if you want to meet somewhere on Central Ave for lunch. I have to fly out to Luxembourg on Sunday afternoon, so Sunday is pretty much shot for me.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Nicee...Saturday is the actual day for homecoming itself. Maybe some other time. How much is AI Design charge you for the Blinder setup?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts