BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up my new M5 yesterday. After driving 30 miles I stopped and when I re-started the computer tells me it is time for my 1200 mile service. This is annoying enough but it means that P500 doesn't work - can't get it to switch back into this mode. Has anyone else had this?

Also - I'm new to SMG so I have a question. When you stop the car at lights, do you need to put the car into neutral or is it ok to sit there in 1?

Cheers
Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
JoePhilipsz said:
Also - I'm new to SMG so I have a question. When you stop the car at lights, do you need to put the car into neutral or is it ok to sit there in 1?

Cheers
Joe
Well it depends. If you stay at lights for a second then don't put to N, if you have to wait more than 15 sec then put it to N. Usually when u stop more than 10-15 sec, then put it in N. Enjoy your new car.

Sank

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Congrats Joe - what colour combination did you get?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sank_ch said:
Well it depends. If you stay at lights for a second then don't put to N, if you have to wait more than 15 sec then put it to N. Usually when u stop more than 10-15 sec, then put it in N. Enjoy your new car.

Sank
Congrats on your new car. Why would you put it into neutral, it has the clutch disengaged, you do not need to do so, if you wish I guess you can, seems like a lot of effort when not required. I had SMGII for 4 years and never did it. I don't do it now with my M5 either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1.NEON said:
Congrats on your new car. Why would you put it into neutral, it has the clutch disengaged, you do not need to do so, if you wish I guess you can, seems like a lot of effort when not required. I had SMGII for 4 years and never did it. I don't do it now with my M5 either.
Well actually i don't drive an M5 but an 545i with SMG. I know it's not the same SMG, but anyway when i took it at the dealershop in Feb '04, our dealer told me to put in N when I was at lights.

·
Registered
457 Posts
1.NEON said:
If you linger in D/S mode for about 15s while standing still you won't be able to start the car. If you accelerate the engine revs but the clutch will not engage (as if you were in N mode)! To get out of this mess you have to you put the lever from D/S into N and back to D/S to engage the clutch and launch the M5/M6. ouich

·
Registered
256 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
If you linger in D/S mode for about 15s while standing still you won't be able to start the car. If you accelerate the engine revs but the clutch will not engage (as if you were in N mode)! To get out of this mess you have to you put the lever from D/S into N and back to D/S to engage the clutch and launch the M5/M6. ouich
This has never happened in my E46 M3 or my new E60 M5, I often am sitting at traffic lights for longer than 15secs, leave it in gear no foot on brake at times if level ground, maybe you have a software glitch.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sank_ch said:

Sank
It has always been axiomatic that when at a stop for a significant period of time with the engine running, you should put a manual transmission in neutral and let the clutch entirely out so as to extend the life of the throwout bearing. I'm assuming that the construction of the SMG III transmission and clutch arrangement is no different, except for its automation. Therefore, to maximize the life of the clutch, the E60 M5 shouldn't be in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged for a long period of time. If the SMG III transmission behaves as Autobahnraser describes, perhaps the transmission has been designed to automatically shift into neutral under such circumstances, and won't re-enter 1st gear unless moved from a "neutral" position of the shift lever.

Richard

·
Registered
185 Posts
I asked a friend with a 2,5 year old M3 with SMG how he drives it, and he said he never puts it in Neutral while stopped. His clutch and bearing have lasted for 2 ,5 years, no problem.

Also, if this was something to take care with, it would have been highlighed in the owners manual, but there is no such instruction at all.

Jonas

·
Registered
321 Posts
The Ferrari F1 gearbox from the 1997 car benefited from being put into neutral at traffic lights. When the SMG first appeared it was significantly more user friendly that the F1 box and I was informed that they didn't need to be put into neutral even back then. Having said that I'm still cautious not to inch-along in slow-moving traffic. One fo the early Ferrari Enzos overheateed its gearbox in downtown Modena and was immobilized by it's F1 gearbox...There's no doubt that the sequential boxes aren't automaticss and they are still fragile relative to a standard manual IMO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just do what I do - leave it in D3 in traffic

D3 stops it from pulling away in 2nd (I hate that) most of the time while the shifts are still comfy and not too delayed imo. Surely the auto mode will sort everything out for you. I sometimes move 10m in 30 mins while in auto mode, no problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
JoePhilipsz said:
Well, I picked up my new M5 yesterday. After driving 30 miles I stopped and when I re-started the computer tells me it is time for my 1200 mile service. This is annoying enough but it means that P500 doesn't work - can't get it to switch back into this mode. Has anyone else had this?

Cheers
Joe

Joe, I never use neutral on my M3, even when stopped for very long periods of time. I agree with the comments regarding design, I believe the engineers have considered this and made adjustments accordingly.

As for your other problem, BMW uses certain "fail safe" modes of operation when specific error codes are flagged by the computer. This is designed to keep you from causing serious damage to the car until the shop can have a look at it, annoying but sometimes important. My personal experience is with the SMG transmission, if the computer senses anything out of the ordinary, the system will limit the use of the transmission, providing only basic functionality until you have it checked out. The 1200 mile service must be a glitch and the computer is forcing you into some sort of fail safe mode until it is checked out.

Have it checked out and enjoy the car.... :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
1.NEON said:
This has never happened in my E46 M3 or my new E60 M5, I often am sitting at traffic lights for longer than 15secs, leave it in gear no foot on brake at times if level ground, maybe you have a software glitch.
I did some testing, and it either happens if you open the door (the BC gives you a warning info then) or sometimes under the circumstance I described obove (without a warning). I've got a hunch that a cold engine might be responsible. It seems only to occur in the morning when I am sitting at the first traffic-lights. I'll double-check on this. :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
I did some testing, and it either happens if you open the door (the BC gives you a warning info then) or sometimes under the circumstance I described obove (without a warning). I've got a hunch that a cold engine might be responsible. It seems only to occur in the morning when I am sitting at the first traffic-lights. I'll double-check on this. :confused:
What is recomended to do by BMW? Should you insert Neutral?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well... I don't have this kind of problems. I have SMGII and now M5 with SMGIII and I have never had any problems on either one of the cars sitting on traffic lights with gear engaged.

I believe there is not even suggestion to do this on driver's manual either.

As what original post was I never faced a problem to engage P500 mode during my break in period, maybe You should check if there is some problem with it :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok - this morning the car was back to normal and P500 worked ok. The dealer checked it out anyway and gave it the all clear.
Cheers
Joe

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I thought it had been determined that in the case of SMG2, the computer put the trans in neutral when it was sitting still for a bit. Now, I don't know how long it will wait, but this is what I had read. I also remember driving one and noticing once that I had to wait a second before the car took off, it seemed like it might have been shifting from neutral to 1st. But don't hold me to that, it was just something I read and an experience.

As for wear and tear, you can sit at a traffic light all day with your foot on the clutch and it won't hurt it at all. Now the throw-out bearing.. that is a different story!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The SMG is designed to be driven entirely as an automatic when you set it that way. Depending on the mode selected, you never have to shift or put it in neutral at a stop light. The transmission is designed to be fully automatic if selected. It will wear out the clutch less than excessive shifting between gears or excessive performance launches.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts