BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm driving it to my GF's parents' house in Tulsa on Saturday from Chicago. The weather this weekend is not going to be bad on the weekend(above freezing) but there will be some snow Thurs and Friday. I wanted to transport but I figured to save the $900+ for springs and enjoy a nice road trip(I love to drive, driven to Miami, L.A. and Phoenix - straight with no hotel stops).

I have a bookmarked page on my Iphone with road conditions
http://wrc.gettingaroundillinois.com/winterroadconditions/wrc.htm

I figure I'll be in the clear if I make it past St. Louis. I'm going to be really careful even if conditions are clear and not go hard on the car since I will be traveling so many miles. I will make stops more often than I did in other cars to let the car "rest." I will definately rinse off the car, especially in the undercarraige, when I get to my gf's but probably won't do a nice wash til Sunday.

If anyone has any tips for my trip, I'm open ears.

Also I'm going to update my Ipod and maybe buy a couple of CD's. I've been out of the loop since I've been working so if anyone has any suggestions on new music(I listen to anything normal i.e. no yanni or mortal kombat techno stuff).

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Remember that the M6 has maximum performance tires, these are NOT all season tires. When frozen, these tires become hard as rocks and will provide very poor traction.

Have a safe drive.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Know where the gas stations are.....you will be going from one to another :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it was me, I'd probably invest in some blue painter's tape and protect everything painted forward of the wheels, and maybe the mirrors and splash points behind the wheels. True it looks a little funny but for me the peace of mind is worth it, I usually am constantly worried about road rash on the highways (haven't gone on long journeys yet though, never done tape on the M).
Especially with this weather and you said it will have snowed recently, that is prime salt/road debris time and its gonna be flyin off everyone's cars. Aside from the tape (maybe a little OCD for you lol) I would avoid riding close behind cars and try to spend as little time near big rigs. I've learned the hard way with past cars.

example:

·
Registered
370 Posts
just be carefull and be very attentive and yea tires a high performance as someone mentioned above... enjoy the ride

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, yeah that audi tape is ridiculous! but a great idea. I might actually do that, I'm having trouble getting my bank to clear a recent check, they want to hold it an extra 12 days?!?.... so I might have to wait but I'm trying to get that worked out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
painters tape

I like the tape idea. I have never heard of that. Have you tried it before. How do you do the application. Do you just clean the car and lay it on? Is the adhesive good for all temperatures?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like the tape idea. I have never heard of that. Have you tried it before. How do you do the application. Do you just clean the car and lay it on? Is the adhesive good for all temperatures?
I am happy to share the idea, I picked it up from another forum and yea, it is definitely a good idea. You got it, just clean the car and put the tape right on, I always use 3M brand. Best method is to go from the rear of the car to the front, slightly overlapping each piece, so that the tape doesn't get lifted up from the wind. Make sure to get the blue tape, 3M makes other painters tapes (I've seen green) but they are different levels of adhesive... blue is the lowest. It won't leave anything on your car as long as you don't leave it on for too long. Longest I've done is overnight, applying it in the evening and making the trip in the morning. Remove ASAP if it rains or the tape gets wet, the adhesive can dissolve off and onto your paint. This has happened to me 1 time, but a good cleaner wax took care of it so it's no biggie.
It should be good in most temperatures we see in the continental US, but in intense heat I would begin to worry. As long as you don't park in the hot sun it should be fine. And as long as nothing gets between the tape and your clearcoat, the finish will be perfectly protected (against most road hazards that usually harm paint).

A guy bought an S4 from NY, but lived in Seattle. Drove it across the US, covered the whole car in tape. Came out just fine and that definitely took a couple days:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I'm just gonna get black painters tape and let everyone think they are seeing a concept car. I'm making the trip next weekend now on march 1

·
Registered
836 Posts
I can understand covering the front of the car for a long highway trip, but the whole car?!!
S8 to M6, I love the license plate in that photo. :biggrin:

·
Registered
95 Posts
haha yea those kids got pretty creative with the tape. i'd never tape the entire car, it sometimes takes more than a roll to do the front-facing parts and it can be a time consuming activity. that whole car must have taken a couple hours

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

haha, a whole car would take forever plus so much tape

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

haha, a whole car would take forever plus so much tape
All that tape will let your girlfriend's parents know that you take "protection" seriously :1:

While tape might protect the paint from a few chips, it will make you look like an idiot ouich
Give your car a good coat of wax and hit the road :M5launch:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All that tape will let your girlfriend's parents know that you take "protection" seriously :1:

While tape might protect the paint from a few chips, it will make you look like an idiot ouich
Give your car a good coat of wax and hit the road :M5launch:

hahahahahahaha:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: the roads shouldn't be bad next weekend since its not going to snow during the week.

Airport security is going to think im weird if they look in my backpack and all they see is a radar detector, painters tape, car wax, some cds, tooth brush, and caffeine pills.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts