BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great news.. The buddy that was waivering about
selling his car to me and I have come to a deal.
and im picking up the car tomorrow.

He has a hook up at a BMW dealership so this is what we did.
He's selling his M5 to the dealership at his pay off price, and the
dealership is selling it to me instantaneously at his pay off price +$500.
Were doing the sale this way, so I get easy fiancing, and his side of the
financing all done at the same time, with tax tags title.
everything out the door: lets just say 30ish:15:

a MY 00 M5
Silver ( anyone know what the color code/name is on the model year?)
75K miles ( to my suprise, i thought it was at 80K)
Tinted
Updated Dash
Clear Bra
Angel eye upgrade
PDC -if it even matters
Maint/Warranty to july06 or 100K
Has extra full size spare (he's throwing in, but no jack/wrench)
Runs/feels great, after 2 hr drive. (but what would I know :cool: )

now a couple of questions.

Only has 1 key. anyone know how long it takes to order one, and how much
they cost?

Is there something I should do immediately after I take possession?
I think the M5 has like 2 lights on or something, so I think service
is coming soon, Inspection II.

im looking forward to buying the OBC thing, what ever it is to hook up to the
laptop and check the Mafs and cleaning themlovelove

all this excitement for me, but its the wifes car.
we get a beast, and plus did the family man thing.
Im such a good husband. haha :1:

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would have the dealer service the car and order you another key before closing the deal. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Is the 500 worth the financing?

How much oil does this 00 use?

Has the car been inspected? brakes, tires, etc, etc... was the diff and trans fluid ever changed? have you pulled ALL serivce records from the VIN?

lots of posts on what to look at with a purchase- just because he is a bud you should not throw caution out the window.

Good luck

A

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think I paid like 175.00 for a second key and I got the valet key as well for maybe 25.00. had to wait about a week to get.

Aside from checking the thing out completely like already adviced, you should have the tranny lube and rear end lube changed. Might as well get the oil changed as well since its a new car to you. Keep a liter or two in the trunk for topping off as necessary. Make sure the battery is in good shape, make sure the M mobility kit is still up to date, they need to be checked every two years and replaced if necessary. Make sure all the tools are in the trunk too.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
75K miles ( to my suprise, i thought it was at 80K)

im looking forward to buying the OBC thing, what ever it is to hook up to the
laptop and check the Mafs and cleaning themlovelove

:1:
Nothing to buy. Check on here how to unlock the OBC, then go to #4, then second test, showing liters per hour. Then you can test MAF'S. Have fun!!
regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gsfent said:
Nothing to buy. Check on here how to unlock the OBC, then go to #4, then second test, showing liters per hour. Then you can test MAF'S. Have fun!!
regards,
Jerry
Huh?? Can you elaborate on that?? Unlock the OBC??#4? Shows Lph where??
in the Dash?? thanks..

Lord have mercy.. $175 for a key?? Wow..
I assume the $175 key is the Master Key and the Valet is $25.
Anyone care to tell me the differnce in the key?? :thumbsup:
@175 KEY, does it come with vaseline.

To be totally honest. It does burn oil, not much from what I understand.
THe guy I m buying the car from worked for BMW Finance, and he worked
at the dealsership.. according to him. His car was over maintained.
Plus I take his word for it becuase he a good friend. with his maint+warranty
he always got everything needed done, done. Nevertheless. When I go to the dealership, i;ll still gonna pull the full service records, and Ill deffinately
post/tell you guys about it here.

-Believe me.. when I get the car, im gonna squeeze every bit of the
cpo warranty/maintence I can. Im gonna go for the throat.
Ie: listeed by importance: Clutch, Cry like crazy about engine eating
oil maybe get me new rings, Tune up (inspection II),
Coolant, Trans Fluid, DIFF FLUid, Ball joints/suspension,
shocks, and what ever else their heart desire.

IS Tranny fluid changed when CLUTCH gets put in???

According to my friend, the SA's and mechanics are eager to do work, because they get paid by the job.. So ohh yea, im gonna get my
$175 key worth.

The $500 to us is worth it to finance. I don't mind, because he's giving
me such a good deal.. IMO.. Going to a bank/lender and havin gto deal
with all the paperwork and proof of income and etc.. Was a hassle for me.
and for my buddy to clear his title + etc etc etc..

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
-Believe me.. when I get the car, im gonna squeeze every bit of the
cpo warranty/maintence I can. Im gonna go for the throat.
Ie: listeed by importance: Clutch, Cry like crazy about engine eating
oil maybe get me new rings, Tune up (inspection II),
Coolant, Trans Fluid, DIFF FLUid, Ball joints/suspension,
shocks, and what ever else their heart desire.

IS Tranny fluid changed when CLUTCH gets put in???

According to my friend, the SA's and mechanics are eager to do work, because they get paid by the job.. So ohh yea, im gonna get my
$175 key worth.
Good luck.

You will not get the trans fluid and diff fluid chaned for free since the official BMW position is they are lifetime. end of story.

You will get oil changes only when the dash lights say- anything else you pay. Welcome to the $149 oil change service.

Good luck on the rings. You need to eat 1 Liter per 1000 miles before it is considered excessive. and all you get is the same old ring design if they replace it. Recognize that BMWNA is almost certainly not going to authorize a rebuild without an inspection.

if the clutch isn't slipping they will not replace it. and if they do, you get the same small stock clutch. Some folks have had both cpo and maintenance and BMW still refused to cover it... surprise.

you will get coolant every three years and brake fluid every 2, if you ask.

Shocks have to be leaking for warranty (if I recall)

if you have an 'in' with the service writer, excellent- but if BMW wants proof the dealer can get in trouble.

really, anyone's BMW ownership experience can be determined by the Service Advisor- hopefully they will meet your expectations...

SOunds like you are getting a well cared for car in any event- hopefully all you need is the normal maintenance.

Have fun tomorrow!

A

PS The VIN printout will have BMW service codes- if everyone else's experience is a guide, the dealer will not be jumping in to help you decode this.... there is an excel spread sheet here (actually in a zip file) posted by mottati with all the codes- print it and take it with you.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Congarts on the purchase

E39 MFIVE,

Congrats on the purchase!

Here is a thread with some things you can check at the pick-up:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54416

About the keys: it is extremely important that you have the dealership techs use the service-computer (DIS or GT-1) to block the missing keys from being recognized by the car electronics and anti-theft device. If you do not and the car ever gets stolen, you will have big trouble with the insurance company.

In Sweden they would say "So you don´t have all the keys, and the keys you don´t have were not blocked. Therefor this is either gross negligence on your part or this so-called theft is an insurance fraud. Sue us if you like, but then we sue you for attempted fraud."

In fact, in Sweden you have to get a certificate from an authorized BMW dealer stating that all keys are present (or blocked), and that no other keys are enabled in the car electronics to even get the insurance policy.

David

BTW, I hope your wife will let you drive the M5 a little too :)

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
Huh?? Can you elaborate on that?? Unlock the OBC??#4? Shows Lph where??
in the Dash?? thanks..

Do a search on unlocking the OBC. Basically, add up the last five digits of your serial #. Using the right and left buttons on your instrument cluster, hold in the right button. You will see "Check control OK" or similar. Keep holding and you will get the OBC menu. Then using the right button to toggle to each new function, go to I think #19. Then using left button, toggle to whatever your last five digits added to (for ex. if you have 44331, you have 15). When you toggle to 15, hit right button and it should unlock. Then go back to #4, hit left button and you get L/km. Hit left button again, you get L/Hour. That is what you want to test the MAF's. At WOT, at or near redline in first (comes up real fast) or second gear, you should see about 140, at "room" temp (I think 20 Degrees C). In hot south Florida, 90+, I see 135.
Check the actual thread, I am doing this from memory, so I may have missed a step or not gotten it exactly right here given my old hard drive has been known to do spontaneous memory dumps!! ;)
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
Interesting.. I would but I can't..
My Nav is broke..
OBC has nothing to do with the Nav. It uses the instrument cluster text display. (The display the says "Door Open", for example)

In the thread I linked to above, there are instructions how to do the tests.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts