BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a picture of the somewhat crazy shift pattern of the new M5 SMGIII?

Anybody who has seen it knows what I mean.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I see it, but not sure what the significance is. Don't you just pull back to sequentially upshift and push forward to downshift? Does this pattern that is displayed have any significance to me? I'll have to admit I am new to SMG, be it the new or old version.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Digi said:
I see it, but not sure what the significance is. Don't you just pull back to sequentially upshift and push forward to downshift? Does this pattern that is displayed have any significance to me? I'll have to admit I am new to SMG, be it the new or old version.
Its the way the gears are inside the gear box!
Not the ussual :

Cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
Digi said:
it doesn't matter to you, it just shows the shift pattern if it was a 7 speed manual, as the SMG was designed from the beginning as a SMG box.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
The shift pattern has several advantages - 1st and 2nd gears are located closest to the bearings and strongest parts of the gear case, for one thing. The 1st SMG box actually designed to be shifted as SMG, NOT by hand - makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
704 Posts
greg said:
The shift pattern has several advantages - 1st and 2nd gears are located closest to the bearings and strongest parts of the gear case, for one thing. The 1st SMG box actually designed to be shifted as SMG, NOT by hand - makes a lot of sense.
Yep, this is one of the reasons I kept voicing my opinion that I was fine with an SMG only approach from BMW. By not desiging the box with humans in mind they were able to make a large number of improvements that would not have been possible otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts