BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A picture I took on Sunday on the RUF Fahrertraining.

He had some problems with worn pads, so I told him to accelerate more and used the brakes less ;) ;)

Hehe, only kidding. Impressive ride!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Erik thank you for the pic, it was great seeing you on the weekend:cheers:

Kees
The day was great, but as much as i love the B8 it isnt cut out for track driving, it gets too hot!

Hockenheimring is a good track, but to be honest i never felt the need to go 9 or 10/10s because of the close proximity of the concrete barriers:(

Hi Dick,

Yes i think i learnt quite a bit the instructors were very knowledeable and their english was very good. I also learned how much faster a ruf ctr is than my B8!

all the best
adam

·
Registered
375 Posts
Adam said:
Kees
The day was great, but as much as i love the B8 it isnt cut out for track driving, it gets too hot!

what do you mean by "too hot"?

The engine or the brakes?

Last year I had 2 days of drivers training in Hockenheim (temperature around 30°C)... I had no engine temperature problem..but my brakes were completely overheated after a couple of laps on the big GP-circuit...they even failed completely twice!

Now I have better brake pads, which I will test next week on the Dijon-Prenois race track :wroom:

·
Registered
299 Posts
oil temperature I suppose....I have the very same Problem on hot summer days.

Alpina had no money for a oil-cooler

·
Registered
375 Posts
BTW:

@Peter, what happend to your oil cooler project?

..and the stainless steel headers :byee55amg

·
Registered
299 Posts
nothing...Just no Nordschleife this year.....

What about Anneau du Rhin on October 8/9th this year Manuel? We will have some fun with Carrera GT, Ferrari 360 CS, Porsche Turbos etc.....

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
No oil temp was spot on, my engine is a goodun,

I just felt that it was really hot. Compared to the cars i usually track, the Alpina just felt hot. Its a subjective thing i guess.

all the best
adam

·
Registered
477 Posts
Adam said:
No oil temp was spot on, my engine is a goodun,
Hi guys,

sorry for the late reply but I just came back from 2 weeks vacation in Spain (talk about hot :cool: ).

When would you guys consider the oil too hot in the B8? I had one hot summer day on a German Autobahn where the oil got extremely hot (I think close to 130 Celsius) and I had to slow down.

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
375 Posts
BlackB8 said:
Hi guys,

sorry for the late reply but I just came back from 2 weeks vacation in Spain (talk about hot :cool: ).

When would you guys consider the oil too hot in the B8? I had one hot summer day on a German Autobahn where the oil got extremely hot (I think close to 130 Celsius) and I had to slow down.

Thanks, Alex
130° oil temperature should be OK, as long as you use 10W60. Unfortuately I don't have an oil-temp gauge. I only have a coolant temperature gauge and that got close to the red mark after 10 laps on the track (Dijon-Prenois, 30+ °C ambient temperature), so I had to slow down for 1 Lap and afterward It was good again for another few laps
:cool:

BTW: I'm now very happy with my new EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. This things really work...no more fading and excellent brake performance. I love them lovelove
I can really recommend them to all B8 owners.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
dickrs said:
Adam, did I see your car on the Nordschleife yesterday?
Yes, me and my folks were there from friday till sunday mid-day,

It was a really good weekend :M5thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts