BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Photoessay Of An M5 Odyssey

307 miles. One family and its beloved M5 sharing a glorious, sun-drenched Sunday exploring the incredibly beautiful and pastoral countryside...it does not get any better than this for me...

Bridge over the Zumbro River. We discovered a perfectly preserved Swallow's nest right adjacent to my right rear wheel. It was likely dislodged from the girders above by the recent storms, falling to the pavement below, just waiting to be collected by us.

In the Zumbro River Gorge. The river was running high due to recent, very strong storms.

Approaching a tight, 2nd gear corner on a beautiful, narrow road that seemed to go nowhere, with absolutely no traffic.

Executing a heel-and-toe downshift from 4th to 2nd.

Starting the turn-in.

Completing the turn, eyes up the road. That's Ryan, our son in the rear.

Powering away from the corner.

Approaching another 2nd gear corner, which opens up to a breathtaking view of the alpine meadow below.

An expansive view of the meadow. 3rd gear, then 4th to the top of the hill in the distance.

Coming back the other way.

By the side of yet another completely deserted country road.

Meadow filled with early Summer wildflowers. The road winds around and rises above the meadow to the treeline in the distance.

View from the cockpit.

Lonely road in an alpine valley.

Another breathtaking view of the valley. We must have driven around for at least an hour and a half without encountering any vehicles other than a farm tractor, driven by a friendly farmer who gave us an approving wave.

On a shaded, narrow little road in the mid-afternoon. That's Cow Parsnip by the side of the road, not to be confused with the very poisonous Water Hemlock, which looks similar. Lydia collected a specimen that had naturally wilted for our herbarium.

Just before making our way back to a well earned supper.

The day will be etched in our collective memories for a very long time. Seeing a pair of magnificent Turkey Vultures feasting on fresh road kill, doubling back to take some great pics of them lauching and taking flight...Having lunch by the Mississippi River on a screened-in porch with a gentle breeze blowing and the Bald Eagles soaring over the bluffs and riding the thermals...Watching the pleasure craft entering and exiting the lock-and-dam on the Mississippi...Lydia scoring big at a tiny antiques shop tended by an affable elderly lady with a walker...and YES, driving our M5 on
deserted, twisty and sublimely rewarding country roads.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Re: Photoessay Of An M5 Odyssey

Well done.

Looks like you were killing bugs quite nicely :)

If I could ever get my wife to let me stop that many times to take pictures of the car I would be in great shape :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Wonderful work! I wish there were roads with that amount of green around here. Reminds me of a road near my fathers house in Santa Rosa after a fresh rain. Deserted, green, and full of natural beauty.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Hi Al:

Sorry I missed this one! My compliments to Lydia on the action
shots. It looked like a perfect day. Did you get over to Wisconsin?
Best regards,
Stacey

·
Registered
4,082 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Looks like it was a wonderful day indeed!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

BmwNut said:
Wonderful work! I wish there were roads with that amount of green around here. Reminds me of a road near my fathers house in Santa Rosa after a fresh rain. Deserted, green, and full of natural beauty.
BmwNut - Not to downplay schnelleM5's nice pics, but trust me on this one, the bay area is much nicer. You have the redwoods, mountains, CURVES, PCH, 280, the bay. Then east of that - Tahoe. In MN you have the lakes, which I miss, is real fun. That's about it though.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Beautiful!

Would you happen to have a high res version of picture #9 (rear 3/4 of m5 heading down into the valley)? That looks about as close to heaven as I can imagne. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

a_ok2me said:
BmwNut - Not to downplay schnelleM5's nice pics, but trust me on this one, the bay area is much nicer.
Oh trust me, being born and raised in the bay area I love that place more than anywhere else I have been or seen (at least in the US). Difference though is that I am out in AZ right now, and scrub brush and dead cacti make me soft for the wonderful green rolling hills of anywhere...hiha Bet it was a nicer temp out there too. :haha: Tumbleweeds, 100 degree temps and high winds make me want to get out of this place ASAP!
Once again, wonderful shots!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Once again great pictures. I always enjoy reading these posts and watching those outstinding pics. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Al. What a picturesque adventure!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

Very nice pictures. Albeit, a warning for dial-up users might be good.

I enjoy drives in the North Carolina mountains but usually encounter too much taffic to have real fun. There is also a decent chance for a cop to be here or there. An 80mph ticket in a 45 zone would not be pleasant.

·
Registered
612 Posts

What a great photoessay Al. Well done!! I think it is great the way you could have a camera crew moving ahead to catch you coming! :hihi: (Well done, Lydia!!)Best Wishes,
Alfred

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

Al,

Beautiful work. The M5 rules on these runs. Ca has great roads. Unfortunately, we have 34 million people here, 33 million of them are traffic cops. :(

Keep us posted with your photo-essays.

CP

·
Registered
512 Posts

One word: Beautiful.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Thanks so much Lydia, Ryan and Al!!! Wonderful job recording a beautiful M5 day!! I've come to the conclusion that you have the closest thing to a road course with the roads you can drive out your way! Plus they offer interesting "pit stops" too :7: Can't think of the last time I saw an antique shop on the side of a track :1: Seriously, you've got some wonderfully twisty and DESERTED roads. And you know your way around poisonous plants--I still can't get my son to trust me enough to eat anything I try to feed him out of my "gardens".:eek:

Anita

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Thanks Al for the images - that is, the mental ones that your great photos inspired. Where, oh where, do you find those great roads?!!

Very nice!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Where, oh where, do you find those great roads?!!

Very nice!
So true Bill.

Al, as always your pictoral adventures with your well read commentary was excellent.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I would like to thank everyone for the compliments. I am truly humbled :eek:

To paraphrase my fortune cookie fortune from last night's supper: "To have joy one must share it". How true that is in this case.

Tim: The bugs will get worse during mid-late Summer :mad: Better than stone-chips, though. I know what you mean with the picture taking. Lydia sure puts up with a lot, but I think she enjoys looking at the results of our work as well.

Bren: There has GOT to be twisty and deserted roads showcasing the rugged and beautiful Arizona landscape near where you live. Perhaps not NorCal-like but I really think beauty is everywhere, one just has to seek it out.

Stacey: Lydia passes on her thanks. We mostly drove on the Minnesota side, but did have lunch over on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi.

Kevin: One that will be tough to eclipse, for sure.

a_ok_2me: Spoken like a transplanted Minnesotan :hihi: Actually, my wife and I are transplanted Californians :cool: , and would have to respectfully disagree with your assessment :blink:

Ted: Congrats on your graduation from Southern Cal :cheers: My wife is also a Trojan, Class of '88. Shoot me your email address and I will send you the high-res version of "Heaven".

jos: Thank you for your most kind compliments!

kees: Thank you!

karman: I appreciate your compliments, thanks!

Gustav: Not on the same plane as your recent automotive adventures, but we will have to make do :) Looking forward to the DVD and picture CD.

Richard: Thanks for the 56k reminder, but alas, a kind moderator beat me to it :hihi: I agree, ANY road is less enjoyable when there is traffic.

Alfred: Lydia and I both thank you for your kind words! Whereabouts in the O.C. are you. I grew up in the O.C., Huntington Harbour to be exact. My folks still reside there. We will be back there visiting this August.

CP: hiha 10-4 on your last statement. :M5thumbs:

Sean: Thanks, I know you must be truly enjoying your new ride as well. :flag:

Anita: Poor, poor Nathan :crying2: I pity the lad :hihi:

Bill: Thank you for your profound response. I think those roads exist first in my mind's eye, then I merely struggle to make them a reality :)

Tony: Doh, I missed your post by 3 minutes. Thanks for your kind words. :byebye:

Thanks again to everyone.

AL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts