BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I was excited to get this retrofit started. I bought a Motorola V600 to retrofit into my 01 M5.

Well I went to get the phone avtivated at the Cingular/ATT store and was told because the phone is locked and it did not have a ATT sim I need a new phone.

Personally I think it is BS.

Anyone know if a phone can be unlocked? Or can you find a ATT sim somewhere?

The V600 has been verified to work with the retrofit etc. so I wanted to go that direction (besides I bought a phone).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes.. the phone itself can be unlocked. There are stores here in the bay area that can do it for $10. PM me if you need help. There are also websites out there but I have yet to have a good experience there.

Tim W said:
Guys

I was excited to get this retrofit started. I bought a Motorola V600 to retrofit into my 01 M5.

Well I went to get the phone avtivated at the Cingular/ATT store and was told because the phone is locked and it did not have a ATT sim I need a new phone.

Personally I think it is BS.

Anyone know if a phone can be unlocked? Or can you find a ATT sim somewhere?

The V600 has been verified to work with the retrofit etc. so I wanted to go that direction (besides I bought a phone).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the AM..............

Will be a rough nights sleep...................

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
SANguru said:
Yes.. the phone itself can be unlocked. There are stores here in the bay area that can do it for $10. PM me if you need help. There are also websites out there but I have yet to have a good experience there.
Agree. And ATT should have ATT sims... they are in the frigging drawer in front of her belly!

WHat carrier is the phone currently locked to?

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Locked to ATT and the Cingular/ATT store claims it won't work...

Isn't dealing with cell phone companies just a step above ' bowel surgery in the back woods with a sharp stick?

My guess is that the rep wants to sell you a CINGULAR phone, and does not/can not activate an 'ATT account even though they own ATT now.

I am sure you could find a 'ATT sim'... (laying around at one of their stores on on ebay for $10). But then you need to hassle with them over the account provenance. Just get it unlocked.

Off topic a bit, but I have a phone that is GSM as well as TDMA and Analog. It works anywhere there is one of those three signals... It was originally locked to Cingular, I unlocked it and activated it with ATT- it uses a special custom GAIT sim... now, with the 'merger' their system periodically scans and finds my pphone's ID is 'foreign' and it gets deactivated. I then need to set aside an hour to plow through technical service until I can speak with a symphatetic level 2 tech who will understand the equation: 'you go ahead and activate this phone' = 'I won't cancel my $150 month to month agreement'.... Arrraaggghhh!

PS Moral of this story is that they can do a lot one you get past the first few layers!

A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts