BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for everyone's help in regard to the integrated phone options (2000 Carbon Black/ build date 06/00). A couple of different people recommended that I contact Aardvark for help. I did. I spoke with Michelle Stobart (740-374-8599) and explained I wanted to get the new Treo 650 (soon to be released), but also wanted to have a phone that integrated to my cars system. Do I need to get two phones?

She said that her company has been working with another company (EIS) on a proprietary system that will be able to use modern technology (phones) with the existing BMW system. There is going to be a trade show in Las Vegas (where I live) November 2-6 where they are going to launch the product (approx $450.).

She invited me to come down and see it (which I am going to), and did some checking up to find out that it will work with the Treo 650 and its bluetooth system.

Needless to say, I will be holding off before making a phone purchase. I will keep you updated on this project.

Brian
00 Carbon Black
UUC Short Shift

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS, here is the email I just got from Michelle. Brian

Brian –<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Nice to talk to you on the phone today. Hope to see you and be able to demonstrate what the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Argos</st1:place></st1:City> product is going to be able to offer to Bluetooth users with BMWs. Please stop by the show if you get a chance and check us out. <o:p></o:p>

Check SEMA.org for ticket information. We are in the Mobile Electronics Section, Booth #10376. If you like, tell your friends or post to the board members who are in the area to check us out. We will be there the entire show and have a car on hand and the product to show. We can take orders at the show and process the credit cards and ship when we return home (SEMA doesn’t allow sales at the show). <o:p></o:p>

Call me if you have any other questions or I can help further.<o:p></o:p>

<st1:personName w:st="on">Michelle</st1:personName> Stobart<o:p></o:p>

Project Manager<o:p></o:p>

Aardvark Multimedia<o:p></o:p>

<st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">140 Gross Street</st1:address></st1:Street>, <st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Ste.</st1:Street> 165</st1:address><o:p></o:p>

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Marietta</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OH</st1:State> <st1:postalCode w:st="on">45750</st1:postalCode></st1:place><o:p></o:p>

740.374.8599<o:p></o:p>

[email protected]<o:p></o:p>

·
10,445 Posts
I did the bluetooth retrofit using the kit from www.bmwnav.com which integrates my sony ericssson t616 into my 00 M5, just like the factory system available on later cars. Don't know if it will do anything with the device you mention.
Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
The treo is bluetooth compatible i believe so using one of the retorfit bluetooth kit for your car is probably your best options. Contact martin at bimmernav.com or parag at bmwbluetooth.com and they could steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Great phone choice. I have the Treo 600 and love it. Although it does not have bluetooth. I will probably upgrade when the Treo 650 comes out. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Any news?

EIS and Connects2USA seem to have some bluetooth AND hardwire kits that preserve some, or all, of the BMW phone interface functionality.

I for one an seeking a hardwire conenction- with a cradle- instead of the bluetooth so that I can use a non BT phone. (GAIT not GSM)

Brian- let us know if you found anything more

Ard

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ard said:
Any news?

EIS and Connects2USA seem to have some bluetooth AND hardwire kits that preserve some, or all, of the BMW phone interface functionality.

I for one an seeking a hardwire conenction- with a cradle- instead of the bluetooth so that I can use a non BT phone. (GAIT not GSM)

Brian- let us know if you found anything more

Ard
Ard,

I went and saw the product at the Sema show. It way very cool, and very simple to install (plug and play). The girl demo'd it for me. Completely integrated with the nav screen, and steering wheel. All of the phones information transfers to the car, so if you have voice activated dialing, etc. on your phone, you just say "call home".

They product won't be on the market for another couple of weeks. I will be ordering as soon as it is. In the meantime, I have an pre-order placed on the new Treo 650 w/bluetooth. I should have both at the same time. As soon as it's up and running, I'll give a full report.

Brian

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Just to clear things up...

hardwired kits are available now, re-engineered BMW Bluetooth ULF's are available now...the new system (Argos) is Bluetooth and should be available before the end of the year. Also, just to keep things straight... The ULFs and the Argos unit are available from Aardvark Multimedia and the hardwired kits are available from Connects2USA.

:cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just put my name on the waiting list Friday for the Argos unit. Sounds great - hope it's not too good to be true. Nice guys at this place - M5 owners!

Gavin

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gavin,

It's not too good to be true. The Argos is the unit I saw @ SEMA from Aardvark, and it is everything you'd think it'd be. I also just got confirmation that my Treo 650 has been shipped. Everything's comming together...

Brian

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Question:

How is the Argos different than the BMW Bluetooth system?

Is it:
1. Argos adds bluetooth to pre 2003?
2. Argos is reprogrammable and supported by an accessable group?
3. Cheaper?
4. Different features than BMW bluetooth interface?

I'm confused.

ardvarkus (the long version of the nickname- in light of this company's name...)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ardvarkus,

I have a 2000, and it is my understanding that i'd have to completely update my system to accept BMW's new bluetooth system.

The Argos just plugs into the existing pre-wired phone hookup in the back panel of any year e39 M5 and integrates into the existing system for $450.00. It is pretty slick, painless, and works with your existing equipment (displays info over the nav screen, integrates your microphone in the headliner, transmits sound over the speakers of your stereo, and utilizes all of your steering wheel buttons). I was sold on it the moment I saw it demo'd at the SEMA show. That's all I know to this point, and I hope it helps.

Brian

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
How is the Argos different than the BMW Bluetooth system?
Some key differences:

1. Argos has mic muting ability for privacy needs
2. Argos has the ability to disconnect (unpair temporarily) and take a call privately. (With the BMW system, you'd have to get out of the vehicle and walk away to disconnect from the car)
3. Argos supports "Smart" phones and PDA based phones
4. Uses the voice tags in your phone (if you have that ability) rather than having to retrain a BMW ULF with all of your voice tags.
5. Argos can be upgraded via a software download for any changes in the Bluetooth standards
6. The BMW unit can dial a spoken number (eg "Dial 212 555 1212"), the Argos currently does not support this function.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Forgot to mention:

7. Argos is a bit less expensive

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the following anser to my query re availability:

Eric, I just heard today that we are expecting to be able to ship the product by January (middle to end). The agreements have been made today between us and the manufacturer to begin production. We anticipate production to begin by the middle of December. We are currently taking pre-orders for the BMW version of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:City w:st=<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">ARGOS</st1:place></st1:City>. If you are interested in being put on the list for the first batch off the block, please let me know (along with car model/year, build date, Bluetooth phone, and phone number). I will get you on the list and let you know when we have product ready to ship.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>Thanks for your interest in our product. Please let mek now if you have further questions.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Could I ask how you found us? Website, press, word of mouth, etc.?<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>Michelle Stobart<o:p></o:p>

Project Manager<o:p></o:p>

Aardvark Multimedia<o:p></o:p>

<st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" w:st="on">140 Gross Street</st1:address></st1:Street>, <st1:address style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: left bottom; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(res://ietag.dll/#34/#1001); BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat-x" w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Ste.</st1:Street> 165</st1:address><o:p></o:p>

<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Marietta</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">OH</st1:State> <st1:postalCode w:st="on">45750</st1:postalCode></st1:place><o:p></o:p>

740.374.8599<o:p></o:p>

[email protected]<o:p></o:p>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts