BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been researching phone integration and all I HAD found was Bluetooth discussions.

I am not particularly interested in BT for these two reasons:
1. Why have another RF link which is susceptable to noice when you need to dock the phone ANYWAY to charge it and get an antenna connection?

2. BT is ONLY available with GSM... my phone is GSM/TDMA/AMPS. I am often away from GSM and don't want to be without a cell. (Despite promises, 30% of the US is covered by TDMA and Not GSM..

So, I run across a company called connect2usa.com. Seems they have a kit that will interface a Nokia or Sony Ericcson cradle to the BMW telephone function!

https://www.connects2usa.com/proddetail.php?prod=BMW

Any experience? Comments? Anybody resisting the GSM only route?

I need to see if their kit gives me an antenna connection from the armrest to the trunk.

I may give it a shot- I'll post any info.

Ard

PS Two of their people drive M5s (one blue one red).. surprised they haven't commented here- (at least so I'd seen it).

·
10,445 Posts
Ard, the antenna connection is probably pre wired in your car. When i added the snap in connector for my bt kit, and the antenna, i found the wire ends already at the armrest, trunk and under the headliner. Honestly, my bt phone gets better reception when it's in my pocket, i think the factory bmw antenna (at least the one i used) isn't optomised for gsm phones frequency.

not really an answer to your question, my point is the factory antenna wiring is alread there!
Mike

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Two of their people drive M5s (one blue one red).. surprised they haven't commented here- (at least so I'd seen it).
Well, I am one of those two and am the President of the company.

The reason I have not posted about us is that as of this moment we are not sponsors of the board. We certainly plan to become sponsors in the near future. I don't feel that I should tout our hardwired or Bluetooth kits before we are actual sponsors and as such have left that to our satisfied customers. Thanks!

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well then you HAVE commented here! Just with way more restraint that I'd have working on such a project...

My idea with this post was to draw out a discussion on BT versus Hardwire- especially if you want to charge your phone OR not use GSM... not much action, though.

I really like the thought of interfacing to the M's Nav and Instrument screens- and the radio/mic- plus the steering control buttons- while being able to use the old phone for a few more years at least (until TDMA is gone and GSM *really* has the same coverage)

Ard

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Not to get off the subject, but can you guys make some sort of connection to hook up an aftermarket amp to the stock hu that doesn't involve splicing.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
mottati said:
Ard, the antenna connection is probably pre wired in your car. When i added the snap in connector for my bt kit, and the antenna, i found the wire ends already at the armrest, trunk and under the headliner. Honestly, my bt phone gets better reception when it's in my pocket, i think the factory bmw antenna (at least the one i used) isn't optomised for gsm phones frequency.

not really an answer to your question, my point is the factory antenna wiring is alread there!
Mike
Mike,
Which antenna did you install? I was in the shop last Thusday, and was discussing external antenna options. Apparently, the X5 interanal bumper antenna will fit. I am thinking of going that route since it sounds like a nice, clean install option.

·
10,445 Posts
doug said:
Mike,
Which antenna did you install? I was in the shop last Thusday, and was discussing external antenna options. Apparently, the X5 interanal bumper antenna will fit. I am thinking of going that route since it sounds like a nice, clean install option.
I did the rear window mount antenna, since the wiring was already present in my 00 car. I've heard of the internal bumper antenna, but haven't actually heard from anyone who's done it, due to the work involved (mostly routing the cable). not sure if the reception would be any better, i suppose if it's designed for gsm it should be. The antennae i use is the same as used with the cpt8000, i think it's 900/1800 MHz dual band. I've heard the at&t gsm phones use 850MHz.
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Doug, did you install the bumper antenna and if so did it work?

doug said:
Mike,

·
Registered
251 Posts
HELP?

I bought an external antenna, but the pre-wired antenna wire that terminates in the rear headliner has a connector that I've never seen before.

I have adapters for TNC, FME and mini-UHF but I'm afraid this is one puzzle I can't solve with duct tape...

Thanks
Paul

EDIT: I see there are converters for a connector type "N". Can anyone confirm this is what I need?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have run into two problems trying to install the bumper antenna.

The first problem is that I am not sure of the antenna wiring. I can trace it from the snap in to the wire harness in the center console but I can not confirm wiether or not it terminates in the trunk. Do you have a wiring diagram for the antenna harness?

The second problem is that the connection from the bumper antenna is not known to me. It is not a mini-uhf nor is it a FAKRA connection. I have ordered a cable connection from the dealer who is getting it from Germany. I think the terminal end of the bumper antenna is a proprietary connection of BMW.

doug said:
No, Tom not yet. I plan on doing this once the weather gets a bit better around here. When I do though I'll be sure to post.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Paul I have the same problem. My attempt at solving this problem is to order a connection cable from BMW. However the dealer has no idea if it will work. I found the cable at the following location.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&kind=P&series=E39&arch=0

under communication then retro fit antenna. Let me know if you find a solution.

pkarmouche said:
HELP?

I bought an external antenna, but the pre-wired antenna wire that terminates in the rear headliner has a connector that I've never seen before.

I have adapters for TNC, FME and mini-UHF but I'm afraid this is one puzzle I can't solve with duct tape...

Thanks
Paul

EDIT: I see there are converters for a connector type "N". Can anyone confirm this is what I need?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tom219 said:
Paul I have the same problem. My attempt at solving this problem is to order a connection cable from BMW. However the dealer has no idea if it will work. I found the cable at the following location.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&kind=P&series=E39&arch=0

under communication then retro fit antenna. Let me know if you find a solution.
I went to a local stereo/cell phone installer who has offered to cut the wire and attach a mini-UHF connector. He says he has the "right connectors and crimpers" for the job. It will cost $30.

If I don't learn an alternative I will take her in for surgery on Friday.

Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
NEWSFLASH:

I have found that there is a standard MALE and FEMALE mini-UHF connector that can be found in the wire harness in the trunk by the NAV unit and AMP.

Apparently, if you have a factory cell phone, the wire from the antenna goes into the trunk to plug into some sort of box (amplifier?) and back out of the box to the front console.

You can run a new wire from whereever (headliner or rear bumper) to this connector!

I hope this is clear, let me know if you need me to clarify.

Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2003 M5 which does not have a factory car phone. The wiring is there but I have not found any other connection other then a FAKRA connection labled WCTD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts