BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the BMW fone kit from a dealer a few weeks ago and used the Startac while I waited for an appointment to have the in car stuff installed. Today it was done and it almost workds, except for one detail: the speaker in the car and the mike in the car do not work.

Using my home fone with the car in my garage, I have found the following:

1. the address book loads properly from the startac to the car.

2. the controls on the steering wheel work.

3. when you select a number with the controls and hit the dial button, the green light comes on, the timer starts, and the number you are dialing rings (on the home fone, but not on the car speakers). There are no sounds coming from the car speakers, though it does mute the radio, but then you get silence til the call is done

4. when you answer the called number (the home fone), you hear nothing being said in the car. you cant even hear direct tapping on the overhead mike. When you speak in the home fone, you cannot hear anything in the car but silence.

5. when you call the car fone, you hear no ringing in the car, but the radio mutes, and you can hit the answer button and the call connects. but again, no sound in and no sound out.

Any theories? not excited about the hassle of going back to the dealer.

I seem to remember when reading the technician installation instructions that the tech was supposed to key in a sequence of keys on the startac at the end of installation. this may have not been done today and may (i hope) have some effect. Anyone have a copy of the installation and could possibly give me the key sequence?

Thanks,

Steve

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I do not know how is the BMW phone different from a regular startac, but from what you describe it sounds like the phone is not set up for "Hands Free Auto - On"..

You need go into the options menu on the phone and the option on a regular Startac is "HF Auto", which has to be set to "On"... However, I do not know if it will apply to the BMW phone.. Check it out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the same exact problem with startac. It took techs almost whole day to find and fix the problem.
I'll find out tomorrow what needed to be fixed and post it.

Vas

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vas: thanks! I would really appreciate hearing about what fixed yours. My dealer is none too excited about diving into an unfamiliar area.

Steve

------------------
'00 M5
'99 R1100S
'66 GT350H/Paxton
'85 911

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the exact same problem. It appears that the time between the phones going from analog to digital that BMW left out the speaker wire connection to the trunk!! It took my dealer forever to finally get the correct part. They had to pass a new wiring harness from the trunk to the overhead microphone. I am pleased to say that everything turned out fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know what your approximate build date was? Mine was 6/21/00

Steve

·
Registered
238 Posts
My build was 7/00.
Cell phone was dialing out, but I could not hear anything nor incoming call rings.

There is a switch somewhere in the trunk - it took tech. at BMW dealership a lot of time before he called their tech help hot-line and they told him that it was.

I spoke to service dept. rep on a phone and he could not help me nor refer to a right technician. He says that BMW NA hot-line has a rep, who specializes in cel-phones and it will be a metter of seconds to fix your problem.

Sorry, I didn't have a solution for you myself.

Vas

7/00 M5 Silverstone/Sportive

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks, that's a start. Im gonna poke around in that corner of the car tonight, although it is pretty much a rats nest of wiring. If I do not find the switch, and I suspect it will be difficult to find, I'll take the car in next week.

Steve

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Shelby,

did you try my sugestion? The simptoms you described remind me of the same problem I had with (a Motorola) startac, and it was solve mby setting the phone to HF auto..

A

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I did take your suggestion. On the BMW startac there is a "speaker phone enabled" item under phone options, and it cannot be changed. I could not find one for HF, and it is not mentioned in the BMW supplied manual. I was hoping that your suggestion was the answer because it would have been so easy to do.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by ShelbyGT350H:
I bought the BMW fone kit from a dealer a few weeks ago and used the Startac while I waited for an appointment to have the in car stuff installed. Today it was done and it almost workds, except for one detail: the speaker in the car and the mike in the car do not work.

Using my home fone with the car in my garage, I have found the following:

1. the address book loads properly from the startac to the car.

2. the controls on the steering wheel work.

3. when you select a number with the controls and hit the dial button, the green light comes on, the timer starts, and the number you are dialing rings (on the home fone, but not on the car speakers). There are no sounds coming from the car speakers, though it does mute the radio, but then you get silence til the call is done

4. when you answer the called number (the home fone), you hear nothing being said in the car. you cant even hear direct tapping on the overhead mike. When you speak in the home fone, you cannot hear anything in the car but silence.

5. when you call the car fone, you hear no ringing in the car, but the radio mutes, and you can hit the answer button and the call connects. but again, no sound in and no sound out.

Any theories? not excited about the hassle of going back to the dealer.

I seem to remember when reading the technician installation instructions that the tech was supposed to key in a sequence of keys on the startac at the end of installation. this may have not been done today and may (i hope) have some effect. Anyone have a copy of the installation and could possibly give me the key sequence?

Thanks,

Steve

You will also find that the speaker phone doesn't work very well anyway. Everyone tells me I sound like I am in a hole when I talk using the heads free operation.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts