BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nipped out for some lunch earlier today and spotted a i8 parked up.

I can only guess this is a review car and left for someone on purpose as there is no way in hell I'd leave a £100k car on an industrial estate!.

Pics to follow

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Um, No thanks...Its a nice feeling knowing that you have the last car BMW made that, when new, you said to yourself i will have one of those at some point...Nothing since the E60 M5 has stirred that feeling in me.

·
Registered
550 Posts
True engineering vs modernity

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lines are gorgeous IMO .

Sat in one at a motorshow a few months back, quite a struggle if your a tall guy to get in and out.

Chassis is like a lotus, looks like a big tub design the sides are very thick very awkward.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Beautiful car, but I think the inside dope on all these electrics is that they are going nowhere. Toyota just cancelled a huge deal with Tesla to supply batteries for them, that's if and when they get this new 'gigafactory' built. I think the major manufacturers are looking at hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as the future. Since there is no infrastructure to support refueling/charging for either right now, why invest all this money in a technology (electric) that still needs fossil fuels to a large degree to provide power? I don't really know the ins and outs of hydrogen cell technology but BMW is using it exclusively at the Spartanburg plant for all their material handling equipment. Granted, they built a plant down there to produce the hydrogen but again if you have to develop an infrastructure for the future of travel, I don't think electric is it. Just my 2 cents...

A guy with a Tesla pulled up next to me the other day and I asked him how he liked the car. His response, as he made kind of a face was 'it's a great car if you only drive 30 or 40 miles a day'.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
759 Posts
Was at the BMW Championships in Denver (Colorado, USA) this week, and the i8 was featured everywhere, including as courtesy cars for the marquee players, such as Rory McIlroy. The car is gorgeous! I think you have to keep in mind that it is not supposed to be an "M" car. It is a technological tour de force for sure, and must be appreciated on that level.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i8

Was at the BMW Championships in Denver (Colorado, USA) this week, and the i8 was featured everywhere, including as courtesy cars for the marquee players, such as Rory McIlroy. The car is gorgeous! I think you have to keep in mind that it is not supposed to be an "M" car. It is a technological tour de force for sure, and must be appreciated on that level.
Just holds zero interest for me personally, nice to know that none of my discretionary income has been earmarked for some new BMW to turn a few years old, losing 70% of its value, when it makes sense to buy...(there are none for me at this point).

I wonder if it has anything to do with CAFE laws?

T

·
0 Posts
As if all the turbo engines in every car weren't bad enough, now the i3 and i8 are out. Such a sad era for BMW.

Chris Bangle said he left because he disagreed with the "i" program. I now see why

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As if all the turbo engines in every car weren't bad enough, now the i3 and i8 are out. Such a sad era for BMW.

Chris Bangle said he left because he disagreed with the "i" program. I now see why

Buy one Troy and shove a v10 in it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts