BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would see if anybody pays more for their petrol than we do in the UK. At the moment I am paying the following for super unleaded:

1.3 USD per Litre
5.9 USD per Gallon

Above is Imperial gallon so not sure how that compares with US gallon. I am sure the above will make you guys in the US feel happier filling up as over here it costs me nearly 90 USD!!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
we pay about HK$10 a litre here in Hong Kong... US$1=HK$7.8 so about the same as you in the UK... but some higher grade petrol like 100 octane ones cost about HK$12 per litre.. =(

·
Registered
158 Posts
100 octane????

i don't think i've ever seen anything higher than 94 in the US at a standard gas pump. is this 'cuz of a different measurement system in HK (not (R+M)/2?)?

does 100 -vs- 93 make a diff?

just curious,
Shawn

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
well, I think in the US, it's measured by AKI? and the rest of the world in RON? or is it the other way round.. I think 100 octane in Hong Kong is about the same as 94 octane in the US... not sure though...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know Sunoco used to sell some very high octane gas, about 99 I think and it was very expensive in the US. The added octane will help to a point as I am sure the EMS will adjust for this. At 11.0 to 1, the M5 will definitely run better with a higher octane, but on the street we probably can't tell the difference between 93 and higher. Can't remember the difference between measurement systems - US and European.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the UK BMW recommend you use Super Unleaded which should be rated at 98 Octane but in fact is only 97. You can run on lesser octane but it impacts performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts