BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting this code every time I scan the dme for errors in inpa :

Doing some research on this code, it appears this is the culpret (part # 22) :

I removed the lower panel above the pedals, but could not see the existing module attached to part # 1 above. There isn't even any wiring for it.

Is the clutch switch module specific to USA only cars or later MY E39 M5's ?

The sw version of my DME is dated March 2003 but the car was built Sep 99'. is it possible the later sw is wanting the module to be present?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
yeah you have a different switch, idk if they are available anymore. you would have to get the part # off the old one. its above the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Looks like it might be #9 below, except there's no listing for #9.

I think this code comes in if the "I just changed gear" switch on the gearbox goes bad as well.

Does your cruise control work?

Pedal support bracket.JPG

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep that's the one. Cruise control works fine.

I had tested gear detection using an autologic diag. system last year. But will use GT1 to dig a little deeper as per TIS :

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The two switches (clutch and transmission) being wired in series means the DME is looking for the clutch to be engaged (pedal all the way up) and the transmission to be in gear (it doesn't know which gear) which means you are moving steadily forward. Depress the clutch or knock the shifter through neutral and the DME knows the drive has been interrupted and shuts off cruise control and apparently shuts off the "handling dynamics function", which I assume is DSC.

What I don't get is if you are getting code 80, why is the DME still allowing cruise control? It should have shut it down since a critical input is bad. You maybe onto something with the software update messing the DME around.

So your only problem is you get the code? You still have cruise control and DSC? This might be a classic first world problem. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts