BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Permanent solution may be new conn rods + new bearings + new crank. Then rabidly religious oil service and “gentle” driving thereafter. Currently I believe owners are mostly doing only bearings. Both rods and crank can also have slight hard-to-detect damage. Warped, out of round, or bent items etc which will only create undue wear on new bearings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Permanent solution may be new conn rods + new bearings + new crank. Then rabidly religious oil service and “gentle” driving thereafter. Currently I believe owners are mostly doing only bearings. Both rods and crank can also have slight hard-to-detect damage. Warped, out of round, or bent items etc which will only create undue wear on new bearings.
What's the point in spending all that money if you're going to be 'gentle'. That's missing the point. Swapping a reliable V8 in would make more sense if you're not going to use the V10 to the full...

·
Registered
215 Posts
What's the point in spending all that money if you're going to be 'gentle'. That's missing the point. Swapping a reliable V8 in would make more sense if you're not going to use the V10 to the full...
Every time I pull out I make sure I either have the throttle on 100% or my brakes on 100%. My neighbors are generally waving bye to me, must be that amazing sound they hear.

·
1,743 Posts
Interesting. Don't recall anybody posting pics of main bearings... Maybe cause nobody has had them fail yet? Judging from those pics tho the mains do have some wear but nothing compared to the rod brgs. Good to know mains seem solid in the S85s.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Rod bearing swap on oem engine does not solve anything for preventing permanent wear. The issue is the axial clearance on the two rods in the journal. Not the rod bearings to crank journal clearance.

·
1,743 Posts
Yes the axial clearance has also been discussed as being too tight. The few disassembled engines using BE look promising tho.

You use king bearings correct? Those require a regrind of crank and/or conrod if memory is right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mains look fine to me. The difference in appearance of #1 is likely due to belt tension and however many engine starts it had.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ticat has the car had any fuel injector maintenance that you know of? I’m at 97k and ive done a lot of preventative, but I’m worried about the injectors.. Flaco told me that just changing fuel pump should be good
The motor that was put in over 50,000 miles ago Was a TROY rebuild, he told me it was out a 2009 m5 with 18,000 miles on it, thus have confidence that injectors will be good for a while.
Perhaps year around running with fresh fuel helps as well.
20181009_182219.jpg
20181009_182203.jpg

81 - 91 of 91 Posts