BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
The ionic sensing was invented and patented by Saab, It turned out to be dead reliable, in Car & Driver test reports the turbo Saabs always put down much better performance figures than competing turbo motors of greater advertised horsepower.

I believe this was by monitoring real time cylinder pressures there was no unwarranted preemptive timing pull back as in a knock sensor only motor.

BMW mentioned that the reason for going with ionic sensing was that in the range of 6000 to 8200 rpm the s85 had too much mechanical noise for reliable knock sensor operation.
Wow. Son of a B. Thanks for pointing that out. My brother used to have a 2004 Saab 9-3, I always knew it had that Trionic thing but I never really dug in to the details of what it was. I always thought it was just Saab's fancy BS marketing term for their engine control system kinda like what Bosch did with Motronic. I do like how ionic current sensing can determine combustion quality and also determine detonation for EACH cylinder. Even in 2020, I don't believe state of the art knock sensors can determine which cylinder had knock, so timing has to be retarded for all cylinders. That is a big plus in my book for ionic current feedback systems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I believe that 25 microns was the min possible clearance.
For others that are curious, I looked up on the BE bearing's wiki page the min and max stackup based off of BMW's nominal dimensions. It seems like 0.00060" (15.24 microns) is the min, and max is 0.00210" (53.34 microns).

For perspective, 0.00060" is really small, smaller than even the thinnest of human hair. The best digital calipers can't resolve a value like this, you'd need a Micrometer to measure something this thin.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I certainly defer to the BE site numbers, I was just typing off the top of my head, sorry. And thank you to BE for putting all that out there BTW.

·
Registered
440 Posts
BMW and I disagree with your statement on mesh filters on the S85. There is an 80 micron stainless steel mesh filter that is nested in the block right where the outlet of the VANOS pump is. It looks like this (courtesy of FCP Euro). Part number 11367834525. The purpose of this filter is in fact to remove metal debris. The oil that has been sucked up by the main oil pump feeds the HP VANOS oil pump. None of that oil has been filtered through the remote oil filter (located in front of the passenger tire) before it goes to the actuators. The actuators have a 50 micron filter in front of it too.

View attachment 934919
Yup, got that replaced during the bearing swap..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great info in the post! Im in the process of replacing my bearings at 81K, and by the looks of things i'd haven been lucky to get another 1K miles on the originals.
Question - I have not been able to find a good picture of the location of the vanos pump microfiilter 11 36 7 834 525 and cant seem to locate it on or around the pump. can anyone point me in the right direction?

thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tell me, do I only need to replace the connecting rod bearings? Is that enough? Crankshaft liners do not change?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The crank can generally be left alone in most cases. Unless you had a bearing that spun and scored the crank requiring it to be resurfaced and replaced. In the later I'd replace them.

·
1,743 Posts
Oil change interval is what blackstone is good for. I did 10k miles on TWS last time. Report was clean with plenty of additive pack left. Frequent oil changes are just a waste of money.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Oil is cheap, that's what we say in the engine room. I am merely stating don't wait or follow the service reminder.

I was wondering where do people take there samples? Based on my reading pulling the oil filter is pretty standard and reliable for seeing if your bearings are wasted. You would need several baseline tests for the sample to be useful but it seems that an oil analysis may be useful if it would show results. Does anyone pull there sample from the oil filter drain? We do tons of oil analysis on the ships and the sample point and machine condition have a huge effect on the sample results when you are looking at such small values.

Rod bearings are a PM now, 50,000 miles give or take. There is only one person on here with enough experience to alter the interval. That's just too small of a metric to change the standard. I have about 13k on my bearings and I think I will try too sample from the oil filter drain and see what comes up.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have not seen Blackstone reports from m5board members in a while

Do not know if they are just not being done anymore or if no one bothers to post them.

I used to provide additional insights beyond wear metals on reports that Blackstone does not mention

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I have not seen Blackstone reports from m5board members in a while

Do not know if they are just not being done anymore or if no one bothers to post them.

I used to provide additional insights beyond wear metals on reports that Blackstone does not mention
I’m still posting mine, but they are rather boring. I think I’m sending them every other sample.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I get oil changes done twice per year with the factory spec BMW 10-60 motor oil. Currently doing about 2700 miles per year. Excessive perhaps but the way I like it....
Not going to fault you.

In the past 5 years in discussions i followed on the topic why the s85 sometimes has a short expiry date, a few had mention short trips and sitting undriven most of the year was a contributing factor , it never did reach consensus status.

I think however this is true, since most m5 owners do not have a multi car garage thus have no other choice but to drive their m5 year around logging 10,000 miles or more per year as in the case of the 2008 2-owner m5 i picked up over a year ago with complete maintenance records and 156,000 miles on the clock.
second owner put 120,000 miles on car in 10 years. Purrs like a kitten tooling around roars like Lion at 8200 rpm

Most did agreed the likely cause was the BMW maintenance program that allowed 13,000 mile oil change interval was a major factor

·
Registered
215 Posts
I change my depending on what goes on. If I go say, 4 track days I'll change it. Even if it's only done like under 1000 miles.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I change my depending on what goes on. If I go say, 4 track days I'll change it. Even if it's only done like under 1000 miles.
I will do the same; common sense with these cars, goes a long way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not going to fault you.

In the past 5 years in discussions i followed on the topic why the s85 sometimes has a short expiry date, a few had mention short trips and sitting undriven most of the year was a contributing factor , it never did reach consensus status.

I think however this is true, since most m5 owners do not have a multi car garage thus have no other choice but to drive their m5 year around logging 10,000 miles or more per year as in the case of the 2008 2-owner m5 i picked up over a year ago with complete maintenance records and 156,000 miles on the clock.
second owner put 120,000 miles on car in 10 years. Purrs like a kitten tooling around roars like Lion at 8200 rpm

Most did agreed the likely cause was the BMW maintenance program that allowed 13,000 mile oil change interval was a major factor
Ticat has the car had any fuel injector maintenance that you know of? I’m at 97k and ive done a lot of preventative, but I’m worried about the injectors.. Flaco told me that just changing fuel pump should be good

61 - 80 of 91 Posts