BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
I could do that but people on forums are normally getting annoyed by that because one has to use the search function first, which I did in order to not open a new unnecessary thread.
Typisch deutsche Mentalität, that's very true on the german forums based on my experience as well...
On this forum, I think if you have a unique topic or problem then it's best to start your own thread with the correct subject and description since that only helps when others search for the same thing and funny noises are really hard to describe, so audio and video really help. If there are multiple posts then it only helps us understand how widespread the issue is. Unusual mechanical noises, are generally early indicators of some failure, they seldom just go away...

·
Registered
732 Posts
My lci 08 6 spd is a 3/07 production.
That’s not unusual, that’s either a very early build or a pre-production vehicle (built along side 2007 MY cars but go through almost 100% inspection on everything). A 2008 MY car can also have 2006 build dates too. But I’d try to avoid that if you ever had choices. This is why you see cars piled up at the factory or the docks. There are often things that get discovered and fixed before it gets the ok to ship to a dealer. Once a dealer takes delivery, the vehicle may be subject to a recall notice. I was on one of those programs, I’ll just say you want to avoid those cars if you getting it new (choosing cars on the dealer lot).

There is lead time between to submission of the order from the dealer to when it’s sequenced for production, when it actually gets produced, and when it gets delivered to the customer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sound in a video is helpful but not the same as standing there. I offered my opinion based on what I heard a the primary noise and my experience. No codes, drive it until you get some. If you choose to tear into it for a little noise you may fix it or you may not but one thing is for sure you will spend a ton of cash on the vanos system.

Mine makes a ton of noise at idle and I even get codes and limp mode on the front straight at RMP at 140mph. I know I have the old version of exhaust gears and it's on the list. They are $1000 each not to mention the timing tools and labor. After all of that I will not be surprised if the engine is still noisy. It makes a ton of noise every time the revs pass 4000 and their way to 8000 and that's why I bought the car.

In the end it is your car and your choice no matter what we say on here. I do have one request, follow up and close the thread so we can benefit from your experience.
Yes, I still haven't driven the M5, but I'm looking to buy a new daily at this moment. Either an E34 V8 manual, or an E38 740i(L).

I will update you how everything went!

·
Registered
54 Posts
To update and close my "problem":
I started the car today after 11 days and drove it again. I brought two BMW certified mechanics and they as well as I didn't hear anything. The engine runs as smooth as it gets and there were no rattling, ticking noises at all. I don't know what it was back then, but I didn't hear it. No fault codes were to be seen.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts