BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, everyone!

Would appreciate someone's feedback & opinion :)

Have driven already almost 40k km on my 2006 M5. Since I have bought the car I have a periodic ticking/rattling noise coming from the engine bottom part.
On cold starts absolutely no "side" noise for the first couple of min. When the engine warms up the noise from the video below starts to appear.

Record

Anyone here, who has ever had or has a similar noise?

Have tried to use a stethoskop - the noise seems to come from the bottom engine part. The noise appears only on idle and after the engine gets warmer. Since I have bought the car, the noise subjectively does not progress. No codes in general. Have replaced all vanos solenoids more as preventive maintenance as once found them for a good price. Nevertheless would like to try to solve the topic as I enjoy the car very much and would like to take care of it :)

Rod bearings have been changed by the previous owner. Constantly montoring the drained oil on any particles.

Have found on youtube some videos recodring similar noise. Some suspect the vanos pump. However, could it be also chain tensioners or the main oil pump?

Thanks a lot in advance for a response!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds normal to me...then again its different on video than in real life.
Don't mean to open a can of worms here, but what type of oil do you use? It is possible that you may need to use the heavier oil (10w60?) and see what happens, assuming that ure not using it or not sure what u have.

Was also thinking maybe something with exhaust is loose, but doesnt seem like it from video...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds normal to me...then again its different on video than in real life.
Don't mean to open a can of worms here, but what type of oil do you use? It is possible that you may need to use the heavier oil (10w60?) and see what happens, assuming that ure not using it or not sure what u have.

Was also thinking maybe something with exhaust is loose, but doesnt seem like it from video...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. Shall try to make a more representative video and post it. In fact, did not mention that on some oil temperatures (about 50-65C) I have a more obvious ticking noise that is very similar to the one from the video below (not mine). However, it is significantly less loud and goes away as the temperature goes up. That is why I suspect the vanos pump.
Video of failed vanos pump

When the engine warms up completely, that periodic ticking noise from my video record appears on ca. 700rpm. On 900rpm not really recognizable.

Regarding oil: I am on LM 10w60.

Exhaust is custom after secondary cats, that is why I believe it sounds different to stock sound.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I just drove 1,5km and then stopped because my tire pressure sensor said that there wasn't enough air in one of them. Yeah I had a screw in my left rear tire, last week it was my front right tire..Vandalism of course :(

When I stopped and got out of the car, I wanted to open the hood because I heard a strange rattling noise from the engine. I found your Thread just now and I attached a video of it for you to hear. There's a possibility that that's normal and just a noise when the engine is cold because my engine never had a problem and I drove it this Tuesday with no problem. 2008 M5 facelift with 111.000km, new rod bearings and rod bolts + Vanos line last year in Munich. Just did an oil change like every 5.000km and there was nothing in the oil that shouldn't be there.

I hope you can help me ! Thank you so much !

·
Registered
54 Posts
The engine still runs great, there are no codes, it's smooth and the idle doesn't change.
Do you think there could still be a problem?

·
Registered
130 Posts
PhilippK, the ticking from the top is normal almost all M5's is just like that, I think it is the sound of the injector solenoid.
From bottom required another opinion and research.

·
Registered
54 Posts
PhilippK, the ticking from the top is normal almost all M5's is just like that, I think it is the sound of the injector solenoid.
From bottom required another opinion and research.
Thanks for your answer! I mean the rattling noise you can slightly hear besides the normal ticking sound.

Can please anybody chime in? At the moment this is my only car and I need it to drive to work. I live far away on the countryside.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It sounds pretty good to me. Mine is an 06 and the vanos noise at idle is nasty and I keep on driving with no problems. Your 08 has upgraded exhaust vanos gears that should be quieter and that is what is sounds like to me?

·
Registered
54 Posts
PhilippK
Would be better if you make a video engine running on idle then advance throttle slowoly till like 3500 rpm and start a new thread. I couldnt notice any problem.
I could do that but people on forums are normally getting annoyed by that because one has to use the search function first, which I did in order to not open a new unnecessary thread.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It sounds pretty good to me. Mine is an 06 and the vanos noise at idle is nasty and I keep on driving with no problems. Your 08 has upgraded exhaust vanos gears that should be quieter and that is what is sounds like to me?
Nice to hear that, but I still don't know if I should trust that noise. I think I never heard it that way before and I own the M5 for years now and haven't started it for a couple days since I heard that noise. A friend of a friend of mine is a BMW mechanic and he could bring the device to check the car and vanos pressure to me.
I think it's best if I wait for him and then we could cold start the engine together?

·
Registered
499 Posts
If it is quiet at start up and noisy when warm it is the vanos trust me. If the vanos is not working you will get codes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just sounds like injectors noise, maybe one noisier than others.
Agree with Alan on that, as the oil heats up it could start leaking somewhere in the Vanos system so it gets noisier.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The gears and actuators are rotating with the cams and as the engine ages the seals start to bypass oil. I think that is why even when guys replace the solenoids they still fail the test?

·
Registered
54 Posts
So you would still drive the car even if there was a (for me at least) very strange rattle?
There are no engine fault codes or vanos fault codes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I really don't like contribute in a thread hijacking but I will drop my question and escape :)
Alan, How would explain a humming noise not ticking at the right bank front top of the engine, no noise on the left bank. I heard many M5 has it, but the thing is it is only on one side.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a few 08 M5s and none of them sound like that. Your video actually sounds a bit like some of the 05-07 S85s which have older design on some parts of the vanos system. Since you say it’s recent, it does make sense to have your expert evaluate this. Also you are very brave to have an SMG M5 as your only car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a few 08 M5s and none of them sound like that. Your video actually sounds a bit like some of the 05-07 S85s which have older design on some parts of the vanos system. Since you say it’s recent, it does make sense to have your expert evaluate this. Also you are very brave to have an SMG M5 as your only car.
Actually you're right, it is a 2007 build date (05/18/2007) but I got used to say 2008 because of the model year and everyone says '08 in the forums to the LCI, even when it was built early 2007 (it's still an LCI).
Well normally it's not my only car but I sold my second car a week ago.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sound in a video is helpful but not the same as standing there. I offered my opinion based on what I heard a the primary noise and my experience. No codes, drive it until you get some. If you choose to tear into it for a little noise you may fix it or you may not but one thing is for sure you will spend a ton of cash on the vanos system.

Mine makes a ton of noise at idle and I even get codes and limp mode on the front straight at RMP at 140mph. I know I have the old version of exhaust gears and it's on the list. They are $1000 each not to mention the timing tools and labor. After all of that I will not be surprised if the engine is still noisy. It makes a ton of noise every time the revs pass 4000 and their way to 8000 and that's why I bought the car.

In the end it is your car and your choice no matter what we say on here. I do have one request, follow up and close the thread so we can benefit from your experience.

·
Registered
728 Posts
There may be some people who know the exact change over date/production month, but the engine updates/changes are not exactly aligned to the production month changes for the base E60 LCI. Since your car was made for the EU market, it's very possible that you had E60 LCI upgrades, but an earlier version of the S85. There seemed to be quite a few changes to the components of the VANOS system during calendar year 2007. There may be more expertise about this on the german forums. From my recollection, there seems to be documentation by Troy Jeup that fore the US market, there were 3 different generations of S85s based on the 200+ engines he has torn apart and rebuilt. It seems that US cars that were 2008 MY were all LCI cars by definition and content and seem to have the Gen 2 S85.

For US production, the 2008 Model Year usual is no earlier than August. As you may know or may not know in the US vehicles are primarily indicated by the Model Year, and that is reflected in the legal paperwork and compliance to regulations that take effect- compliance is based on the MY not the production date. I have some familiarity with this topic from my days at Ford when we were launching new model year vehicles and we could not ship some vehicles until a certain date.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts